• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Clean out the silt areas? Lol clean out the silt more settles. The river bank stabilization and reforestation to stop erosion is the answer to silt issues. Also planting trees helps lower river temps and hold more ground water. Spring high melts blow out built up silt but this takes us actually getting accumulated snow and bank protection to not allow the blow out high water to rip apart banks.

In addition farm land needs buffers between the rivers and the crops. Storm water needs to be managed by bigger and better storm water ponds.

The problem is huge and the answers are complicated but we have made gains in many areas.

Housing now requires storm water ponds where they did not used to. Trees are planted and some buffer zones have been created. Dams have been dismantled in some head waters. Some ponds have been taken off line of head water areas.

We just need to keep going and protect the entire river and lake environments and make restitution for our forefathers mistakes.

pretty well everyone will agree that the years following the floods on the Ganny in 1980, which also cleared out all the silt exposing prime spawning gravel, were the best steelhead fishing they ever saw

shoreline erosion, lets explore that moment, rivers do not have a predetermined path, they cut there way through the land scape eroding soil and banks that are in the way. its how you get horseshoe lakes.  have you not noticed trees that have fallen into rivers in heavily wooded areas?

but the mindset of people isn't about whats going around them, its about what they are doing at that moment to look good on social media for however long that fad is going on.  until people see high waters and flooding as a good thing for the environment, and not as a disruption to their routines, there will be problems

the main river that i fish hasn't had this urban sprawl happen on it as of yet, is vastly farmland and conservation areas right up through the head waters, and yet, there is still a ton of silt in it

#82 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

Yup, you guys are right.

It is a total waste of time this Atlantic Salmon stocking program. The stream rehabilitation, stomach content studies, and new state of the art fish counter at the ganaraska river to name a few which were funded solely through the ASP would not happen any other way. But I guess these projects only solely benefit Atlantic Salmon, they would have no benefit to the other cold water species. You guys don't get it, there wouldn't be any money to improve habitat and various studies like the Thymine deficiencies which was discovered fully funded by the ASP. 

Instead of bickering on here, why don't you guys get off the key board and contribute some of your oh so valuable time and put something back into the fishery. There are way too many arm chair biologists these days.

It's not like fishing suddenly improved 100x when they started stocking Atlantics. If anything, it's become worse.

the main river that i fish hasn't had this urban sprawl happen on it as of yet, is vastly farmland and conservation areas right up through the head waters, and yet, there is still a ton of silt in it

The river is full of silt because of the farmland. Erosion isn't only from urban sprawl. It starts with cutting down trees to make farm fields.

#83 Tyinflies

Tyinflies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

I've only been out for Steelhead a couple of times...but the number of fish that I saw laying on the shore that had been killed for the roe was disturbing.  It didn't make a lot of sense to me that anglers would do something so irresponsible!

#84 Disco

Disco

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

All streams do meander over time but when you cut down the tree along the flood plane the river changes course much faster as there are no roots to stabilize soil. Erosion happens fast with deforestation and farm land is a HUGE producer of silt. Fine material washes off the farming soil especially after a large rain. This is amplified by turning the soil and loosening it as farms do every spring. This is why it's so important to have trees and buffer zones between farm and river/creeks. Urban sprawl causes mass flooding because of less ground penetration for water. This makes rivers rise faster, blow out and drop quickly. Retaining ground water lessens the effect of river fluctuation all around. You get less violet blow outs when water can penetrate sould and a more controlled longer sustain of river depths durring dry periods.

#85 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

soil composition plays a big role with silt, this area happens to have a very sandy soil composition

#86 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

Disco--I think you are spot on with your descriptions of why rivers get silt and why they flood. NVCA, the cons auth for the Notty, has a program that encourages farmers and other property owners on the river  to leave a buffer next to the river. I believe they are having some success with that program. The main river is still quite silty, though.  It doesn't seem to bother the fish too much, though.

#87 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

Interesting info guys.
Thanks.
From what I researched.
Dams are the #1 build up spots.
And some rivers actually have manual clean outs.
When mother nature can't keep up with major floods of course.

#88 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

Down with wild roe....