9 replies to this topic

#1 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

Howdy 

Before the spring season starts back up, I plan on washing up all my tackle to get any rust spots off, as well as using some sort of oil on them to keep rust to a minimum. I have already put an order in for some silica gel packs for the tackle box but I figure doing both can't hurt

I have some mineral oil that I use on my knives, I was thinking of doing a mixture of that with some garlic for a bit of an attractant effect as well. Any experience with mineral oil on hooks, and did if effect the bite? Any other recommendations for a solution to use on hooks?

With all the money we spend on tackle I'm surprised you dont see many products like this pre-made on the market, or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough 

Thanks in advance for your help

#2 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

Many saltwater anglers use WD-40 on their gear. Rinse the gear with freshwater after use, dry, and then a light spray of WD-40. It doesn't repel the fish away.

WD-40 is OK on external parts. but you don't want to use it inside the reel. I use Corrosion-X for bearings and Cal's grease for other moving parts.

It's a good habit to open up your tackle boxes after fishing to air out the moisture. It's not always possible to do...but if you have extra space in your home, it's great to do it.

#3 spinningreelbest

spinningreelbest

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

These spinning reels will guarantee a lot of things that you need from a reel, Best spinning reel. When you head out to the stores, you will find an endless variety of spinning reel and making a choice will be like gambling.

#4 Tubetrax

Tubetrax

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

CRC Silicone Oil Spray.

I'm a saltwater fisherman & ive never herd of nor would I ever recommend
anyone spraying anything with WD40
It will dry & leave a nasty residue picking up dust & other stuff !
Yes it is derived from fish oil & makes a good attractant but wash it off afterwards.

If you already have rust on the outside of your reel,
Your really in trouble !

Just sayin !
Dan

#5 Tubetrax

Tubetrax

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

For spinning reels
I like to fallow
www.alanhawk.com

For conventional reels & baitcasters.
www.alantani.com

#6 Creghead

Creghead

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

Never use WD40.

For reels, I use a little mineral and work into the gears and any other moving parts.
For the terminal tackle - hooks, swivels etc. Sharpening stone, steel wool or even fine grit sand paper works to remove any rust spots and keeps hooks sharp.

#7 SenkoKing

SenkoKing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

Never heard of WD-40 , I personally don't fish saltwater however rust can be any fishermans issue ..
I use a garlic oil for hooks in winter storage .
Usually buy quantum reel sauce to keep things lubed for the reel ..
But u can't go with wrong with the plain old sharpening stone and sand paper to keep hook sharp :) But also helps to get air into the tackle box and moisture out

#8 Tubetrax

Tubetrax

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

CRC-808, Silicone Spray,
(All Around Tackle Box Lubricant)
For cleaning, Lubricating the Reel, Line, Rod & Guides, Lures, Hooks,
Rust prevention & lubricant, Keeps your Braided, Flouro & Mono Line Lubricated for smoother casts,
Keeps Soft Plastics & Squid Skirted Lures & Spinnerbaits Lubricated for off season storage.

Corrosion X,
For Breaking down Corrosion off of "Corroded reels"
If you need Corrosion X, Your NOT Taking Care Of Your Reels & Tackle to begin with !!!
(Just Saying The Plain & Simple Facts).

Cals Grease, or Cals Drag Grease, is ment for greasing (lubricating) drag washers.
As For lubricating reels, It is very pricey and a inadequate waterproof Marine grease.
Cals Drag Grease Tan, is for hot climates. Cals Drag Grease Purple, is for cold climates.

What is recommended is.

Yamaha, Marine Grease. (Blue), Or. Bell-Ray, marine, extreme pressure waterproof grease (red).
For Greaseing Reels.

TSI.321, Synthetic Lubricant. For oiling your bearings (just 1 drop is needed)

www.alantani.com is the Conventional Reel Guru !

Has a great thread on reel care & lubricants in his forum, as well as lots of info on repairing your baitcasters & conventionals.

wwwalanhawk.com is the Spinning Reel Guru !

#9 Tubetrax

Tubetrax

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

Spinningreelbest,

That link is obviously written by someone sponsored by some manufacturer,
Only 2 reels were even worth mentioning both being Penn, Spinfisher & Battle ll.
All the rest were cheap Chinese Garbage you can purchase from eBay for Cheap, Cheap, Cheap !
Many being the same reels with a different colour scheme & brand name.

Alan hawk has a great article on rebranded Chinese Spinning reels,
Well worth reading !
http://www.alanhawk....blog/rebdd.html

#10 Tubetrax

Tubetrax

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

T

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust, lures, tackle