• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

I've been busy with tutoring and volunteer teaching since January. But thankfully, the hardwork paid off as I'll start a new full time teaching position next Monday. Life is still hectic so I'm not sure when the blog posts will be written. But if you like reading my adventures, I will update you later when the posts are completed.

In the meantime, I wanted to share with you the new species I caught and other fish we encountered along the way.

This trip was really last minute so I actually didn't have anything planned. We had three main targets - Bonnethead Shark, Midnight Parrotfish and Blacktip Shark. In addition, we also wanted to explore new spots for Moray and Sharks in the Keys. Let's just say everything exceeded out expectation...but we had to work our butts off to hit all our targets.

OK...without further ado...

Green Moray (Gymnothorax funebris) - aka shark bait

IMG_1183_post.jpg

Trying desperately to stop a shark from wrapping around a marker buoy. But unfortunately, that shark pulled too hard to stop and the braid was eventually cut by the buoy cable. From later experiences, we concluded that the shark that I lost must have been a big Bull Shark.

P3111476_post.jpg

Lemon Shark (Negaprion brevirostris) - Species #708

IMG_1209_post.jpg

The Lemon Shark was about 6 feet long. The shark I lost earlier fought multiple times harder than this Lemon Shark.

IMG_1205_post.jpg

French Angelfish (Pomacanthus paru) - Species #709

IMG_1215_post.jpg

IMG_1225_post.jpg

Doctorfish (Acanthurus chirurgus) - not a lifer, but a really good pic to upgrade my lifelist photo.

IMG_1237_post.jpg

Spotted Scorpionfish (Scorpaena plumieri) - not a lifer, but yet another great photo to update the lifelist.

IMG_1239_post.jpg

#2 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

Rainbow Parrotfish (Scarus guacamaia) - Not a lifer, but always so photogenic.

IMG_1266_post.jpg

They don't need to be big to pull serious drag. Either stop them or they will wrap or snap you off under the bridge.

IMG_1269_post.jpg

Midnight Parrotfish (Scarus coelestinus) - Species #710

IMG_1274_post.jpg

Midnight Parrotfish pulls even harder than Rainbow Parrotfish. I lost two on 20lb fluoro before finally landing this one.

IMG_1275_post.jpg

Tidewater Mojarra (Eucinostomus harengulus) - Species #711

Anal fin base vs. SL = 14.5%
Depth vs. SL = 33.6%
Least caudal peduncle depth vs SL = 10.4%
Premaxilliary groove NOT constricted by scales and pigmentation is uniform between nasal nares.

IMG_1299_post.jpg

IMG_1297_post.jpg

Bonnethead Shark (Sphyrna tiburo) - Species #712

IMG_1307_post.jpg

IMG_1313_post.jpg

Michael's Bull Shark (Carcharhinus leucas)

P3151800_post.jpg

* It was after catching this Bull Shark that convinced us I lost a bigger Bull Shark. My shark simply ran faster and harder than Michael's smaller Bull Shark. Michael also lost a 4-5 feet long Lemon Shark that night and it's fight was much more tame compared to the Bull Shark.

** We fished 4 nights for sharks in the Keys. On the first night, we lost two, had one run-and-spit and then finally landed by Lemon Shark. On the second night, we lost one. On the third night, it was really windy and we couldn't get our baits far enough. On the last night, we lost a Lemon Shark, had one run-and-spit, and Michael caught his Bull Shark. We've fished for Sharks every time we were in the Keys (5 trips), but this was by far the most successful. We're looking forward to going back next time to catch more sharks!

Bay Anchovy (Anchoa mitchilli) - Species #713

IMG_1344_post.jpg

* You wouldn't think I would quit on the micro species, did you? :P

#3 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

Atlantic Spadefish (Chaetodipterus faber) - not a new lifer, but always cool to catch. We helped George to finally knock this lifer off the list!

IMG_1364_post.jpg

Leopard Searobin (Prionotus scitulus) - Species #714

IMG_1396_post.jpg

Blacktip Shark (Carcharhinus limbatus) - Species #715!!!

IMG_1433_post.jpg

Over two days of fishing, with a total of 16 hours fished and over 12km hiked, I lost three bigger Blacktips to the rocky reefs before finally landing this little 3 feet adolescent. Our flight was at 7:30am the next morning and this was literally the second last bait we can soak for these sharks on our very last evening in Florida.

IMG_1426_post.jpg

Little guy got bitten by a larger shark in the recent past. I flip some of my pictures (ie, first photo above)...so the left side was the bitten side.

IMG_1409_post.jpg

#4 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

Very cool! I am surprised to see Blacktip so high on your list, I thought they were fairly common and would have been much lower on your list. 

Love the colours on that Midnight Parrotfish, wonder how well they camouflage in the water from a bird's eye view.

#5 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

Very cool! I am surprised to see Blacktip so high on your list, I thought they were fairly common and would have been much lower on your list. 

Love the colours on that Midnight Parrotfish, wonder how well they camouflage in the water from a bird's eye view.

I'm more of an opportunistic angler. It just so happens that spring is the best time for Blacktips, so I chased after a Blacktip. If this trip was in the summer where there were less Blacktips, I probably won't even care to catch one on a summer trip. Hit them while the action is hot, right? I find it foolish to work on a species when the bite is completely non-existent...because there are so many more other species to chase that could be peaking in action.

It's really not like I haven't been shark fishing in the Keys at all. Every time we went to the Keys (5 trips), we have ALWAYS fished for sharks (unsuccessfully)...and Blacktip is one shark species we were after.

The other reason I'm chasing after larger fish now is that I've caught almost 120 NEW species from Florida, plus probably another 50 species from the Caribbean/Atlantic. All the "easy" species have mostly been caught...so now I'm going after the more difficult or bigger game that I previously ignored.

I had a charter for two days to catch a Goliath Grouper...and we did try...but cold weather (8C one morning) and strong wind (12-14kt) shut the bite down. :(

Midnight Parrotfish camouflage very well after 3-4 feet of water. In the shallow, the body looks black from above with a bright blue head. But when that fish swim to the bottom, you will only see a dark shadow...or none at all if the water is a coloured or if the surface is wavy.

#6 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

Very nice report and picks . Question, how do you release off the pier (bridge) do you torpedo them?

#7 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

I wanna see you catch a Goliath Grouper

#8 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Very nice report and picks . Question, how do you release off the pier (bridge) do you torpedo them?

For smaller fish, we try to torpedo them...but sometimes, fish like Angelfish catches a breeze on the way down and ends up landing sideways. But we try our best to torpedo them.

With larger fish, we do lower them in the pier net and let them swim out on their own.

#9 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

I wanna see you catch a Goliath Grouper

I would also like to see that too...2 tries now...hopefully 3rd time is the charm...but will be another year or two until I can save up enough for another charter.

#10 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

Your photos are awesome, thanks for sharing these. If you want big bull sharks you need to go fish the pass at Boca Grande. They're so thick in there it's almost impossible to land a tarpon now.

#11 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

Your photos are awesome, thanks for sharing these. If you want big bull sharks you need to go fish the pass at Boca Grande. They're so thick in there it's almost impossible to land a tarpon now.

We did fish Boca Grande area for sharks (mostly targeting Blacknose and Blacktip...but you never know what may bite). We had 2 sharks stripped off the butterflied Ladyfish fillets, leaving on the head on the hook. We had a small shark ran with the bait for a bit before dropping it...but that was it.

The Tarpon has not arrived yet, so the Bulls (and Hammerheads!) are still a step behind. Unfortunately, my teaching job dictates that I can't be fishing during prime time Tarpon season (April to June). :(

#12 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Too each their own.
Personally I have no interest in salt water fishing that requires 200 lb test ,telephone pole and wench.
I'll take 6lb test and any fish either perch to Chinook.
But that's me.
But I'm happy.
And money in the bank. Lol

#13 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Absolutely no offense intended Muskie.
Great trip great pics.
Just not my thing.

#14 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Too each their own.
Personally I have no interest in salt water fishing that requires 200 lb test ,telephone pole and wench.
I'll take 6lb test and any fish either perch to Chinook.
But that's me.
But I'm happy.
And money in the bank. Lol

TI, it is all relative. (And no offense taken)

You may think 200lb test, telephone pole and a winch is excessive...but when you see a 5' Bull Shark bend that telephone pole in half, and it is pulling out 20lbs of drag from that winch, you start to realize...I need a bigger winch.

Trying to hold 20lb of drag pressure (from reel) plus the torque from a fully bent 13' surf rod? No salmon can put out ANYTHING even remotely close to match that. Not ever a contest...regardless of how light a rod and line you want to use to give the salmon the best fighting chance...unless you decide to use a twig and hair...but that's silly and not conservation minded at all.

We were catching sharks on a Baitrunner 6500 with 50lb braid, and 100lb wire for the sharks. That's actually considered approprite gear for 5-6 feet long sharks. Like any fishing, some may choose to go lighter or heavier. Later on, we did use my Lethal 100 with 80lb braid for more capacity and line strength...because we were getting our butt kicked.

How do we compare?

6lb fluoro with 8lb main, I can pull in a 20lb Chinook within 3-5min MAX in the steam. At the mouth, up those lines by a few pounds and you still get the same fight.

100lb mono leader with 50lb braid main, I can't even get a 5' Lemon Shark close to shore within 15min.

Heck, the parrotfish were pulling out 10lbs of drag on a 4000 size Penn Battle II with 30lb braid. If we don't use that much drag to stop them, they were popping the 20lb fluoro on a 9' medium salmon/steelhead rod as soon as they can retreat under the pier.

As for money...

Money is no issue if I am too busy to fish every weekend. All that gas, bait and tackle all saved up weekend by weekend...and eventually added to a $380 return plane ticket (yes, that's the price I paid for March Break airfare!)

On any given weekend, I can expect to spend $40-60 for a day of fishing ($20 gas minimum + lunch + bait + replacement tackle). For those that fish 2-3 times a week (which I used to)...all that starts to add up...and adds up quickly for a flight to Florida.

We also slept in the car for 4 nights in the Keys...part of it was for budget saving reasons...but primary reason was really to give ourselves max time during the prime shark bite at night. We spent $0 on hotels in the Keys.

It's more within reach than you think.

Oh...and money in the bank may be good...not that I'm against it...I am actually a really fugal person (the reason why I can take so many trips)...but you can't take the money to the graves...and you can't promise your children or grand children will use the inheritance wisely either. My philosophy is...save for the future...but also be kind to yourself...and experience life to the fullest within means.

#15 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

I love ya muskie.
And love all the pics and info on your trips.
But I'd give any salt water trip for the chance to mooch fresh water Hos and Chinook out west.
But again.
That's me.

#16 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

I love ya muskie.
And love all the pics and info on your trips.
But I'd give any salt water trip for the chance to mooch fresh water Hos and Chinook out west.
But again.
That's me.

Now we're talking $$$. A week at Peregrine Lodge...$5000 easy. That's like...5 week-long Florida trips on my budget.

But wait??? Freshwater mooching for Hos and Chinooks? Being the little PITA wise crack that I am (haha!)...mooching is really a saltwater technique. What were you saying about freshwater fishing? :P

Nah, I get you...drift fishing for Hos and Kings in rivers. That can be fun.

Personally, I just don't see the attraction to spend money to catch a species (or two species) that are so readily available here...especially at such a huge cost. You won't find me flying to NZ for those Brown Trout when we have them just as well here. That's just not my idea of using resources wisely. That's just not my cup of tea. But...I don't like milk and sugar in my green tea...and I like a lot of milk and one sugar in my breakfast tea. Others may not agree ;)

Your money...I'm not telling you how to use it. ;) Just having a convo.

#17 Tacklelogic

Tacklelogic

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

Another successful trip Muskiebait!

It's cool to see the number of species you have caught over the years.

#18 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

Car camping on the Keys, the old me would want to know how you pulled that off.

Don't know how many tens of thousands I saved over the years of car camping on surf and fishing trips, but it's a lot.

Question: Do you ever get attacked by sand flies? I'm talking about the little noseeums that leave a red dot with a red halo around it. I never got attacked until this past December. I recently became very allergic to eating fish (confirmed 2 weeks ago as I got badly ill after some halibut but recovered). I wonder if there is a connection - because my first trip to the Caribbean without fish in my diet and I got mauled by them. Not as badly as some ppl, but had a good 40 bites on my legs, arms and chest. Would be interesting to survey ppl to see if those getting bitten are the ones not eating fish.

#19 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Car camping on the Keys, the old me would want to know how you pulled that off.

Don't know how many tens of thousands I saved over the years of car camping on surf and fishing trips, but it's a lot.

Question: Do you ever get attacked by sand flies? I'm talking about the little noseeums that leave a red dot with a red halo around it. I never got attacked until this past December. I recently became very allergic to eating fish (confirmed 2 weeks ago as I got badly ill after some halibut but recovered). I wonder if there is a connection - because my first trip to the Caribbean without fish in my diet and I got mauled by them. Not as badly as some ppl, but had a good 40 bites on my legs, arms and chest. Would be interesting to survey ppl to see if those getting bitten are the ones not eating fish.

Well, we have to find places that are safe to sleep in the car. Most of the time, we've fishing one of the more popular fishing bridges, and it felt safe enough to sleep in the parking lot. If we slept in the car, we basically just reclined the seats and slept. You are technically not allowed to sleep or camp in the car in the Keys. But we usually have rods, pier nets, buckets, coolers...etc...packed inside the car. And fishing overnight in the Keys is so popular. So if any officer came, and we're right at the fishing bridge parking lot, we don't get hassled. You can't full on set up a tent though. They will ask you to take it down and kick out.

Other times, we will bring camping chairs and sleep on the bridge while we have lines out. We sleep seating in those chairs. Sometimes, even though we're in Florida, the nights can be cool, especially if it is blowing over 10kt wind. The channels between islands do channel the wind. So sometimes (if we drive down to Florida), we may bring a light sleeping bag with us.

One time, I woke up to a bang. Half awake, I look around at all the rods but everything seemed to be in order; so I went back to sleep. An hour later, Michael woke up to find his rod on the ground, completely spooled. We figured the bang was probably a combination of his line snapping and the rod falling on the ground. He had 50lb braid on that reel. We'll never know if it was a big pile of drifting seagrass, or a fish, that spooled him. Either option is possible. But he was lucky not to have lost his rod, as it wasn't leashed down to the bridge railing.

We cleaned ourselves in McD washroom...or if needed a shower at some of the beach showers.

Bugs love me...but not many sand flies unless you go to the mangrove areas, or places with piles of washed up seagrass. I usually wear long sleeves and long pants though...for sun protection and some bug bite protection. But if bugs are bad, I do have to use DEET.

I got really badly bitten by sand flies twice...in Georgia and Belize. But I haven't develop any allergies at all. Hopefully it will never happen as I love to eat fish!

#20 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Salmon
Those bites sound like lake Erie ticks.
You don't want those.
Typical bulls eye description.