3 replies to this topic

#1 NSFishingHalifax

NSFishingHalifax

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hi all, 

I am in the market for a battery to power a 45lb thrust trolling motor that will be pushing a 12' inflatable. I have done some research on the various types and am still hung up between choosing a flooded/wet or AGM deep cycle. I am leaning towards 100AH+... so either Group 27 or 31 (unless someone can argue I will not use this much). I typically will only be out on the water for 2-6 hours on large pond type settings... and paddling is not the end of the world. As far as the AGM vs wet debate is concerned, I do not mind the battery maintenance but I am worried about the battery acid spillage during usage in an inflatable boat. The local dealer I found for a WET battery mentioned something about it being contained? Would this negate the spillage?

The best prices I have found so far are:

$375 for 105AH Group 31 AGM - Canadian Tire

$177 for 105AH Group 31 WET - Local Dealer

$130 for 115AH Group 27 WET - Costco

*Prices are CDN with taxes in

In short... I could use some insight towards the AGM vs wet debate as well as sizing 80-110AH (Group 24-31) for my application. 

Thank you in advance 

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

I would go with AGM deep cycle 105Ah. If you run medium speed on your trolling motor you can probably be out there more then 6 hours before you run out of juice. Mind you weight and waves can decrease battery life. Drift a bit and a charge can last you all day LOL.

#3 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

I would go with AGM deep cycle 105Ah. If you run medium speed on your trolling motor you can probably be out there more then 6 hours before you run out of juice. Mind you weight and waves can decrease battery life. Drift a bit and a charge can last you all day LOL.

I will also add that a cheap solar panel running trickle will almost insure a full days on the water... I keep my 36v system on a solar and go weekends with 24+ hours of fishing no problem.

#4 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

Great advice IR4J.