• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

This year sure was different from last year with an absolutely beautiful day and a lake made of glass for the better part of the morning. The biggest difference had to be the crowds with boats as far as the eye could see in all directions. Another unfortunate difference was the absence of fish, I ended up 2/4 but boy did I have to work for it. On the water and fishing by 6:30 and off by 3:30 well after 90% of the crowds left. 

The great thing about Simcoe on the soft water is the raw strength of these lakers, the fight they give through the ice doesn't even come close. By the end of the day my arms were sore and I was glad I put in the extra few hours to finally land a few. I was glad to see the MNR come flying up as I landed the second fish because my buddy was too far away to even hear me yell KILLAAAA, I thought about asking for a picture but they seemed busy.

Attached Images

• G0159999.JPG
  • G0160070.JPG
  • image2.JPG
  • image4.JPG

#2 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

Beautiful lakers!

#3 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

Beauty lakers! I just got a kayak this winter and I'm hoping to try out Simcoe or Niagara Bar sometime...but the big water does scare me. Looks like perfect conditions that day though.

#4 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Simcoe is no problem in a stable kayak even on rough days. The Niagara bar on the other hand was a different story for me, I only tried once before and walked away defeated.

#5 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thats awesome. Looks like alot of fun. Too bad about the numbers.

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:05 PM

Looks like an absolute blast

#7 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

This year sure was different from last year with an absolutely beautiful day and a lake made of glass for the better part of the morning. The biggest difference had to be the crowds with boats as far as the eye could see in all directions. Another unfortunate difference was the absence of fish, I ended up 2/4 but boy did I have to work for it. On the water and fishing by 6:30 and off by 3:30 well after 90% of the crowds left. 

The great thing about Simcoe on the soft water is the raw strength of these lakers, the fight they give through the ice doesn't even come close. By the end of the day my arms were sore and I was glad I put in the extra few hours to finally land a few. I was glad to see the MNR come flying up as I landed the second fish because my buddy was too far away to even hear me yell KILLAAAA, I thought about asking for a picture but they seemed busy.

How manageable would this kind of fishing be without foot paddles?

#8 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

How manageable would this kind of fishing be without foot paddles?

its not bad, before I had this kayak I would just pick up the paddle and paddle away with one hand while fighting the fish in the other hand. I do that because sometimes the fish ends up pulling me towards my anchor line and I get worried about tangling up. It hasn't happened yet but I have crossed the lines before.

#9 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

its not bad, before I had this kayak I would just pick up the paddle and paddle away with one hand while fighting the fish in the other hand. I do that because sometimes the fish ends up pulling me towards my anchor line and I get worried about tangling up. It hasn't happened yet but I have crossed the lines before.

Sounds like every episode of Wicked Tuna!

#10 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Sweet catch and nice fight