4 replies to this topic

#1 dperstin

dperstin

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

Hello!

I have a 14' aluminium boat that I take fishing almost every weekend in the summer. I happen to find myself with two working motors but only need one and looking to unload the other one. Problem is, I don't know which to keep and which to sell.

They are both 9.9 2-stroke motors. One is a 1989 Yamaha and the other is a 1998 Johnson. They both run great and start within the first couple of pulls. To me long term reliability and ease of maintenance are important. I am looking for an opinion from the members here, which would you keep and which would you offload? Pics attached.

Thank you!

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 10.56.40 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 10.55.26 PM.png

#2 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:26 PM

Super tough question. I have an 80s johnson that runs amazing..very easy to maintain. Yamaha has a great track record. I would see which one would fetch the most money and sell quicker and move that one.

#3 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

Both are easy to maintain and work on. If you are looking to save money on gas though because of being out on the water every weekend, I would be looking at a four stroke. More fuel efficient and you can probably up your horsepower a bit.

#4 Fishbully

Fishbully

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:14 AM

Personally I would keep the '98. The older they get the harder it can be to find certain parts, assuming you plan on keeping one for years to come. The '89 may also fetch a few more dollars from collectors and the likes.

Its also never a bad thing to have a back up to bring along on week long fishing trips. Ive had to cut a few short due to a shot motor. Something to consider if money isn't a factor.

#5 Disco

Disco

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:00 PM

You might find it interesting but there was an article written about 9.9 2 strokes in the spring of 1995. Turns out no ones 9.9 actually produced 9.9hp. Most manufacturers were producing 11-12 hp and Johnson/Evinrude were producing the most at 14.5 hp out of there 9.9 set up.
If a bit more power means anything stick with the Johnson.
I also own the Eqivilant 1995 Evidrude 9.9 and it runs awesome. Had one issue in 22 years blowing a coil pack but that's it. Awesome track record for 22 years if you ask me. Also the model I have has the easy pull start where there is no cylinder pressure when you pull start it making it a breeze to start one handed back handed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boats, motors