• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FreshChrome

FreshChrome

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

So im currently towing my 16ft tracker pro deep with a subaru forester 2.5L. It works and does the job but it does struggle. So im looking for upgrade my vehicle to something that has some more balls to it but not go out and buy a V8.. does anyone know the weight of these trackers or could give me an estimate of what they think it could be; 16 ft tracker pro deep v side console, 75 mariner, 3 batteries, 65lb trolling motor... vehicles im looking to upgrade are 2003-2006 jeep liberty renegade, 2004 dodge dakota v6. looking to buy used not new, if anyone has any suggestion for affordable towing that would be great..

#2 pikegod

pikegod

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

for towing the 2004 Dakota with a 3.7L v6 has about 6500 tow cap. the liberty has 3500

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

you won't need a v8, friend of mine has the v6 ecoboost f-150, he tows everything you can imagine, he does tree removal, so stump grinders, dump trailers, toy haulers.  gas milage on it is pretty good too, he drove it 1300km with 4 guys plus a trailer full of hunting gear/decoys, before needing gas

#4 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

transmission takes the most abuse while towing, find something with a tow package that includes a transmission cooler

#5 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:22 AM

Stay away from that Liberty. Whatever your budget is, look at towing capacity.

#6 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

you won't need a v8, friend of mine has the v6 ecoboost f-150, he tows everything you can imagine, he does tree removal, so stump grinders, dump trailers, toy haulers.  gas milage on it is pretty good too, he drove it 1300km with 4 guys plus a trailer full of hunting gear/decoys, before needing gas

. I need to get rid of my rice beater and get one of those F150 s. How big is the tank 120 litre ? Gas or diesel?

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

. I need to get rid of my rice beater and get one of those F150 s. How big is the tank 120 litre ? Gas or diesel?

they are usually  120L for the 150s and 250s  think the 350s are bigger.  the one he has is the 4.6L ecoboost, gas

was talking to another customer today, he bought a 2014 GMC sierra with a 5.3L v8, gas mileage hes getting is just over 16L per 100km, thats insanely high

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

oh, and unless you like paying extra to change sparkplugs, stay away from the hemi motor, they have 16 sparkplug rather than 8

#9 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

Wouldn't trade my Hemi for a thing ...and yes my gas miliage sucks a$$, especially towing my rig. Serves me right for jacking it up and putting 35" all terrain tires on it .

#10 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

The smaller the motor the harder it works. That 5.3L GMC is working a bit harder than a larger 8 cyl i.e. 5.7 or a 6.1L. Same goes with a smaller 6cyl. When choosing a tow vehicle make sure you have a bit more then you need if you can afford it. I have a friend that used to tow his 16 foot Lund with a 75hp with a small 6 cyl and I felt bad for that SUV let me tell you . That small 6 cyl burned just about as much fuel as my Ram did and my boat is heavier .

#11 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

Wouldn't trade my Hemi for a thing ...and yes my gas miliage sucks a$$, especially towing my rig. Serves me right for jacking it up and putting 35" all terrain tires on it .

the only thing wrong about it is thats its a dodge :D  

love my f150 with the 5.4L  one of the best truck motors around

#12 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

the only thing wrong about it is thats its a dodge :D

love my f150 with the 5.4L one of the best truck motors around

lol you are a funny man Frequent. Made me laugh

#13 FreshChrome

FreshChrome

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

hmmm gets me thinking, thanks for the inputs.. Anyone towing with a Subaru right now lol? i want a pick up but still unsure which i should go with. Definetly a v6 is the route. I dont think my boat set up can weight that much? Im thinking just under 1700? Im not sure tho i havent weighed it.

#14 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

hmmm gets me thinking, thanks for the inputs.. Anyone towing with a Subaru right now lol? i want a pick up but still unsure which i should go with. Definetly a v6 is the route. I dont think my boat set up can weight that much? Im thinking just under 1700? Im not sure tho i havent weighed it.

going by this, http://www.trackerbo...s.cfm?boat=3885

your package weighs around 2300lbs, what you'll be most concerned with is tongue weight. a v6 will tow it, make sure the transmission can handle it, the extra torque needed to get it moving will put added stress on it and cause it to fail earlier than it should. a transmission cooler will help reduce that stress and allow the trans to work more efficiently

#15 FreshChrome

FreshChrome

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

going by this, http://www.trackerbo...s.cfm?boat=3885

your package weighs around 2300lbs, what you'll be most concerned with is tongue weight. a v6 will tow it, make sure the transmission can handle it, the extra torque needed to get it moving will put added stress on it and cause it to fail earlier than it should. a transmission cooler will help reduce that stress and allow the trans to work more efficiently

sorry flyer forgot to mention its an 1999. Not sure if design and material would have the changed the weight at all or not.

#16 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

sorry flyer forgot to mention its an 1999. Not sure if design and material would have the changed the weight at all or not.

not really, a 99 tracker with a 40hp motor weighs in at 970lbs just the boat and motor, not including the trailer weight

#17 Guest_martin349_*

Guest_martin349_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

I have used a lot of car for towing purposes, i tried to tow with Subaru, corsa, estori but i have been facing struggling through out, so i decided to take truck than i got Ram 1500 diesel after towing some days with Ram truck i realized than i was doing mistake by towing with a car, i would recommend to shift on Truck there are a lot of cheap trucks also in the market now I am using my truck as a Flat Bad Towing Service in nyc.