• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie Cadene

Debbie Cadene

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:34 AM

Good morning all.  I'm looking for a couple opinions on some knots for fishing line.  For tying line to line or adding a leader to a line...I typically use the Uni to Uni and for attaching lures to the line...my favorite has always been the Polymore.  For the most part they've stayed fairly solid, but I have noticed some breaks just the other side of the knot and it really sucks to not get that fish into the boat.  I know folks have their favorites and am wondering yours and why. I've been told that the Hangmans noose is a really good one for line to lure and that the Albright or Advanced Albright or the Alberto are great solid ties for the unequal or equal line to line. Gonna be doing some fishing for Bass and i'd like to get a few more into the boat with no worries.

Thanks bunches for any help.

~debbie.

#2 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

I use the San Diego Jam knot for attaching hooks or lures to my leader. (netknots.com ) . The polamar knot is just as good . For line to leader I use a triple surgeon's knot or back to back uni knots.

#3 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Joining two similar diameter lines I use uni to uni. For two different diams I use Albright. For line to fly/lure improved clinch or non-slip mono loop.

#4 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

I just started using the Albright for connecting lines and I like it's small size. To tie on lures and hooks I like a Palomar or improved clinch. I believe the Palomar is a bit stronger.

If your line is breaking right above the knot, it could be abrasion from tightening the knot. Wetting the knot before tightening it can help with that.

#5 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Attaching leader I use uni to uni or improved Albright . Never had a problem having the knot let go or break. Just make sure to wet the line . Tying lures or hooks I only use Palomar knot, again never had a problem . Just make sure to wet the line !

#6 YourPalSal

YourPalSal

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

I use the same knots, uni to uni for leaders, palomar for almost everything else.

I've straightened treble hooks while those knots have held up. Never had any issues. Like everyone else has said, lube your line!

I've read/heard nothing but good things on the fg knot for line to line.

#7 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

Blood Knot never lets me down.

#8 Debbie Cadene

Debbie Cadene

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I do wet the line each time, but mabey i'll slow down a little... and make sure nothing is twisting on my during the tie.  i'm also gonna give that advanced albrite and blood knot a try.  You all have a super weekend!!

~debbie~

#9 Debbie Cadene

Debbie Cadene

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

Actually have one more question...for the Uni to Uni...how many wraps do you generally do on each side? Same for the Advanced Albrite...I've been practicing 7 each way, but should it be more or less?  thanks everyone!

#10 Lurecharge

Lurecharge

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

Here is a clip that might have some useful knot info.

#11 Debbie Cadene

Debbie Cadene

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

i like the 4 penny knot and will for sure give it a try..., but it doesn't say anything about the amount of wraps needed or preferred for the uni to uni

#12 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:42 AM

Actually have one more question...for the Uni to Uni...how many wraps do you generally do on each side? Same for the Advanced Albrite...I've been practicing 7 each way, but should it be more or less?  thanks everyone!

5 wraps per side is what I've always done. Sometimes with thin braid give an extra wrap or two.

#13 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Actually have one more question...for the Uni to Uni...how many wraps do you generally do on each side? Same for the Advanced Albrite...I've been practicing 7 each way, but should it be more or less? thanks everyone!

4 wraps each side, always done it like that , works perfect

#14 Tubetrax

Tubetrax

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

The Only Use for a Uni to Uni Knot is for joining braided lines.

Uni to Uni Knot,
The tag on the leader line Will eventually Ruin your Guide Rings !

The Albright Knot & many others work OK.

The absolutely best knot is the Page Ranking Knot (PR Knot)
Unfortunately you need a PR Bobbin to make the knot.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The second best option is the FG Knot.
YouTube, FG Knot.

For leader to hook I've caught lots of Goliath Groupers on cut bait with a 3 three wrap Uni Knot.
That's right only 3 wraps,

The Perfection Loop, knot with 1 half hitch knot has also landed many Goliath Groupers on live bait !

Both of these knots work from 2lb to 200lb.
I would not hesitate for a minute using eithe of these knots.
Only a long fight wearing down the leader, but the knots won't break!

Really Quick to tie as well.

Tight Lines
Dan

#15 Tubetrax

Tubetrax

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

Here is the Animated Perfection Loop Knot

http://www.animatedk...ction/index.php

Tight lines