Photo

CBC: Immoral Salmon Milking... what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

You are not doing anything wrong if you're going after roe on the river. As long as you know how to cure it, take the fish and dispose it the right way. Just do everything by the book and don't go over the limit.Not all carcasses in the river are caused by anglers. I've seen a raccoon drag a salmon out of water.

I agree with you Dilli although I think a few of those raccoons have knives and cut the Salmon open especially under the QEW... I got a real good look at some of the carcasses as I was part of the volunteers 3 years ago cleaning garbage up both sides of the creek.

I wonder if the Crime stoppers sign is still there?

#22 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

Again....some are painting all anglers in 1 brush...Not all anglers practice what's being discussed. a portion maybe. But really now...If you can catch a salmon, take home the fish, keep the roe...That is part of the game...not all people are willing to spend $$$ for 200 grams of roe...a good size salmon full of eggs can last 2 seasons.

I had to go and buy new roe from a local tackle shop recently to get me started again.

Plenty of others must be doing it or the bait and tackle shops wouldn't stay in business.

#23 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

https://www.kijiji.c...gationFlag=true

.... eye roll....

#24 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

Money
#1 reason the females are decimated.

#25 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

People that complain about the smell, they shouldn't live near creeks or rivers, or go for walks along them in the fall, it's a natural stage of life for the salmon to die.
Some are dragged by animals, some by people, I've actually hooked into a dead rotting salmon on the bottom of the pool, that was a horrible smell, and i didn't try to save my fly.

The complaints about this, are from the same sort of people that move to the country and complain about the smell of manure that the farmers are spreading on their fields so those people have something to eat

#26 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:12 PM

Yea, the gut splitting sucks, but keeping the roe alone is not illegal, as long as they are within their five fish limit of roe, they are fine

#27 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

As someone who has viewed hundreds of days of the runs but only tried to fish the salmon runs once ever (this year haha)... I have no useful input but questions...

1. Isn't it technically illegal to keep the roe and dump the fish?
2. Would you need a license to sell roe - like you do for selling minnows?
3. Do people pretty much only take roe from Pacific?

#28 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

As someone who has viewed hundreds of days of the runs but only tried to fish the salmon runs once ever (this year haha)... I have no useful input but questions...

1. Isn't it technically illegal to keep the roe and dump the fish?
2. Would you need a license to sell roe - like you do for selling minnows?
3. Do people pretty much only take roe from Pacific?

Hi Bear,

I will try to answer your 3 questions to the best of what I know:

1. It is illegal to dump the fish as it's littering...Once you caught the fish and took the roe, it's a possession and leaving it in the bank or to rot is leaving garbage.

2. Only licensed cultured roe can be sold by licensed seller.

3. You can take roe from you catch except Atlantic.

#29 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

I have fished the salmon run for 20 years, less anglers then and more time to enjoy the fight with smaller diameter mono line was a bragging rights back then. we usually use hardware , where everyone could land more than one with enough space for privacy. there were lot more fish then compared to today. Only unethical issues before was when  a person slit the female for its roe then dump the body to rot. This unethical practiced spread more obviously today to hundreds of new entrant to fishing, creating more pressure to the fishing season, and more garbage The fish numbers have significantly decline as Humans repetitively destroy our natural resources. Fish numbers at Kawartha's lake have significantly declined today compared to 20 years ago. It was easier to catch fish with limited knowledge, skill, and used less good equipment back then, since lots more fish and less anglers. Less traffic and gas price was way cheaper then as well. 

There was limited internet information back 20yrs ago, we just go fish almost every weekend, regardless of condition. When the first UofT Fishing  board came out, a one liner chat style way of communication was develop that brought GTA anglers together. It was the most exciting thing happen to Toronto fishing, we were all communicating and  sharing openly our honey hole, even with GPS coordinates. Until it got shut down, since many spot being contributed were unreliable, and members started fighting and cursing against each other. Then reliable spot gotten crowded. 

I was lucky to pick up and learn from an ethical angler on how  to fish  Salmon or trout using artificial lures back 20 years ago. He would only acquire roe , when a female being landed from a spoon lure , started squirting out roe profiously.  Since there were lot of fish being landed during the season, we never bother and no urgency to kill any fish. Landing 50+ fish a season casting lures on pier system, was our norm back then. We never use skein before, so I never used skein in 20 years I had fish for salmon. 

During just past Salmon fishing season. I witness two Canadian white Anglo saxon guys who moved from the crowded river area of Ganny river and sneakily/suspiciously came behind to the Factory channel area, they slit the female fish ,took out the roe, when they saw me fishing alone, they ask if I wanted the fish, added comments that they still had some fish inside their fridge. I told them why they killed it anyway. they just shrug their shoulder then dump the body on the river. I also asked them how they caught that fish, they said it was fresh skein. What they were trying to promote to other inexperience anglers was only fresh skein from fresh harvested female was the best way to catch fish. 

Imagine this kind of unethical practiced ............Multiplied that by 100 people .............times many years .................Equals lesser fish every year. I have not harvested a female for more than 10 years. Always release them, content to use artificial, even if it meant less fish. Most important is to locate the fish anyway, the lure or bait is just secondary to a fishing success.

I salute those who rather use artificial lures, or beads or home made streamers to catch fish, this is the real fun in fishing, creating/improvising our own lure, to fool the fish with our creative abilities. Landing a fish is result of our being street smart . It is actually cheaper and less time consuming for me to go to a chinese grocery and buy a fresh fish, then for me to go catch one. The butcher even cleaned the fish for me. 

I hardly even touch on the Garbage Topic created by anglers!

#30 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

A+ essay...lol Ya I mainly use plastic single eggs, marabou jigs, wooly bugger jigs, and pink worms. I only use roe a couple of times, like when the egg bite is hot and the fish are fresh

#31 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

)