• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Needabiggerboat

Needabiggerboat

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

Howdy all, new to the forum and need a bit of advice. Have been using my Dad's 14' aluminum boat for fishing, he's had it for 30+ years. Got a 20hp motor in good shape last summer, as the original viking cooked a piston 25 years ago, so the boat hadn't been used since. He has a camp on Manitoulin, and access to the North Channel. He's not right on the water, but can launch in a fairly shallow protected bay which opens up to a larger bay with water 100'+ deep. This is where I'd like to try fishing for some larger fish, I believe there are salmon down there somewhere. We went out early in the fall/late summer, and as with bigger water came bigger waves, 2-3' rollers. Maybe I'm getting older, but we've been out on big lakes, and I was never bothered before. The rollers, not sure if it was knowing the depth of water, or just the rolling around, but I'd sure like a bit bigger boat to use here. I found a nice one on Craigslist in the US that seemed like a heck of a deal compared to what I'm seeing on Kijiji, but does anyone have an idea what I should be looking for size wise?
I'm thinking 18 or 19' don't really need a much bigger motor, but if I pick up something, I sure as heck want it to be comfortable. The old bench seats in the aluminum just don't make fishing enjoyable, so comfort is a big factor as well. Should I be looking at a bass boat vs a cuddy? Budget under $5000 is what I had in mind.
Any and all advice really appreciated.

#2 Bryonfromtilly

Bryonfromtilly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

Bigger boat needs a bigger motor how far from shore are you going? I know if I'm a couple miles from shore I want to do atleast 50kph comfortably I'm big rollers. Storms come quick.

#3 Needabiggerboat

Needabiggerboat

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

About a half a mile from shore would be lots for me.

#4 Bryonfromtilly

Bryonfromtilly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

Well really depends on the boat I've got a 14 aluminum and than ibe got a 16 deepV and to me the deep v makes it seem twice the size they come way wider and deeper makes it much more stable is the back of yours just a rectangle or is it the deep v even a 14 foot deep v seems allot bigger than a normal 14

#5 Needabiggerboat

Needabiggerboat

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

It's a fairly flat bottom boat, maybe I'll look for a 16' deep. So hard to know without experiencing different boats.

#6 Bryonfromtilly

Bryonfromtilly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

Last time I was out in a 14 ft aluminum and the waves were that big the odd one would come in the back if the driver was leaned back and relaxing. Yeah side console is great too to even out the boat my 16' sits about a foot and a half pushing two out of water at the back with the motor weighing down. The other is like 9"best out of water

#7 Needabiggerboat

Needabiggerboat

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:53 AM

I was thinking something this size, appears to be fibreglass,but it's not mentioned.
erie.craigslist.org/boa/d/17-ft-invader/6424323734.html

Even if the interior is ugly and it needs a bit of work, how wrong could you go for $1000?

Even this one, about the right size:
erie.craigslist.org/boa/d/17-ft-invader/6424323734.html
What all should I be looking out for?

#8 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:17 AM

If the floor is rotten and you are not a handy man or mechanical inclined ,  it will cost you more than $1000 for material alone to put in a new floor.   I paid someone and cost me $1500 in total to get a new floor similar to bass boat flat flooring done. 

I had to face some aggravation, and fishing downtime, when I got my used boat due to minor mechanical or electrical issue. I eventually figure out all necessary things that needs to be replaced after owning it for many years. It is a part of a fishing hobby! Then you need to be able to tinker with the engine and its electrical components, to trouble shoot it . Otherwise, you get gouge easily by mechanics. ..............No CAA to tow a boat when we get stranded! 

Buying parts for older motor is another issue....Many parts are inexpensive to buy in USA, if you know which parts to buy! 

There are tons of boat deal anywhere , take your time. Maintaining a Used boat is a hobby similar to owning a used car. Some people are more natural at having to face some aggravation of owning used stuff. I got rid of my  1991 Nissan maxima just  two years ago with 425,000km on it, very minimal rust, and engine runs perfect, with original aircon still running cold. I knew how to trouble shoot and hardly had any work on it, I also  do my own auto body work. Until I had to give it up since the strut mount was too rusty to replaced its original  strut, and the brake cylinder was not functioning too well. I paid $4500 when it had 125,000km in 1996. So I am used to tinkering with used vehicle all my life! If the owner maintains the used items. chances are he also maintains his boat. By observing his garage, or garden, you could roughly tell if he is the type of person who takes good care of his belongings. If you do not ask the right question on the phone ,before you show up to consider it. The Owner is not obligated to reveal what was wrong with it. He  might say it was working, but when was the last time he tested it running? And For how long? Some people might be happy to get anything for their piece of junk!

Due to ignorance 25 years ago, my first used 14' boat had issues after my 4th trip, where I got stranded on a lake. Even if I had a trolling motor, the second battery  finally ran out of juice where my friend and i had to paddle back to shore that night. The charging system of this 14 footer had issues, the new starter battery finally ran out of juice after the 4th trip. I was impress when the owner originally told me he put in a new battery. The engine was relying on the new battery the whole time, without the charging system working properly to recharge the battery back to its full capacity. Lesson learned,,,,,,,, to never 100% trust anyone these days, and be prepared for the worse scenario if the item sounds  like it is a steal. I paid $750 for entire 14' boat trailer package back then. I fixed it up, and eventually sold it after two years of owning it. To upgrade to a bigger size used  boat and engine, i was very prepared with engine compression tester, Multimeter, I asked tons of question before I even showed up.

Check USA  side buffalo and michigan, syracuse, Up north, etc....., lots of deals everywhere.

Not to forget, trailer bearing, springs,  and axle that causes tire to loose thread easily. Then boat might have some potential leaking issue, these are all to be taken into consideration. Pay a mechanic to travel with you, if you are not mechanically inclined. 

#9 Needabiggerboat

Needabiggerboat

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:01 AM

Really appreciate the insight. Lots to look for. I do all my own mechanical work and home renovations, my car is a 99 VW TDI with 480k km on it still going strong. I wish I knew boats as well as VW's. Will have to take some time for the right deal to come up, heck if you're available for some consulting work, let me know.