Photo

Got my first ice tent - tips on setting up courteously?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CMFlynn

CMFlynn

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Hi there,

Im new to the forum, so first hello! Nice to meet you all. And also, my apologies if this is addressed anywhere else. 

I've been ice fishing before (though still a beginner) but only in either a rented hut, or somewhere where there is virtually no-one else fishing. I got a tent this year hoping to get out on the ice a little more, and will probably be fishing in more populated areas. So, I just wanted to see what people thought about how to set up your tent respectfully. 

Some specific things that come to mind are:

setting up near ice hut businesses - I've seen people do it, but what are people's thought's on setting up near, but not too close, to operating ice hut rentals?

Access to the water - is it generally okay to just drive up to a marina or boat launch and just walk onto the ice? Should I give them a call first and ask?

Thanks everyone! 

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

First of all what does near but not to close mean to you ( in feet/meters) . Second , you need to find parking first(unless parking on the ice) and access the lake. Many streets end on the lake and that can become your point of entry. Always make sure you are not walking on to some ones yard or property. In your case it might be better to follow the crowds. Google earth can be your best friend.

#3 CMFlynn

CMFlynn

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

Hey, thanks for your response fishfreek.

I didn't really have a distance in mind. I suppose I thought I would see how far spaced out each hut is from each other and stay farther away than that. Im not really sure how far that would be... is 30m considered a fair distance?

I'll take your advice into account, look at google maps before I go up and see what people are doing/ talk to some people once I'm there. 

Thanks again!

#4 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

I would say you need to be at least 50 meters away from an operators hut city. Personally I wouldn't set up closer than 100 meters or more to anyone on the water that isn't part of my group, preferably i'd like to be more like a half km away from other people but that often isn't possible for walkers.

#5 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

A good rule of thumb is depth in feet = distance in meters. At least thats what we have always used without any major issues

#6 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

I like staying well away like 500 meters. I just have better luck away from main crowd

#7 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

I just go in the hut.
World disappears.
Unless I'm lucky enough to find an operator that'll punch a couple holes outside.
Bonus on nice days.

#8 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Anyone know any hut operators that'll punch holes
On Cooks.

#9 CMFlynn

CMFlynn

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Thanks everyone! 

This gives me a good idea of how far away to be setting up. I'll be sure to put up some photo's if I get anything good!

Cheers