9 replies to this topic

#1 dnhan

dnhan

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Hi all, new fisher here.

I'm looking to go fishing this upcoming weekend in around Oakville. I was wondering around this time of year and given the warm weather what is a good area to fish if I'm looking to land crappie or perch?

Thanks! 

#2 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

Welcome!

First, check the regs. For a lot of fish most of Oakville is closed north of Lakeshore Rd. South of Lakeshore fishing is allowed year-round (but check the regs, don't take my word).

The only place that I've fished south of Lakeshore is Bronte Harbour. I've never fished it in the spring however. Maybe someone else can pipe up on here. Maybe some spring salmon/trout and pike?

#3 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:22 AM

You arent gonna find any crappie or perch in oakville

#4 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

Lots of little ponds north east and west of Oakville . Be aware of ice conditions though with all the rain we got. Learn to explore with Google maps. Not to many people will give up honey holes on the net.

#5 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

Grenadier pond in Toronto has lots of black crappie in the spring time. Mountsberg reservoir which is west of Oakville has good perch fishing but there is only tiny perch if you are fishing from shore. So you should probably take a kayak out if you have one.

#6 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

You arent gonna find any crappie or perch in oakville

I landed a crappie in Oakville last year. About as far from the lake as you can get.

I was definitely surprised.

#7 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

I landed a crappie in Oakville last year. About as far from the lake as you can get.

I was definitely surprised.

Of course there is perch there...any body of water connected to any major lake will have perch....you can catch perch all year round.

#8 gunsmoking

gunsmoking

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:35 PM

I got a decent size black crappie in mountsberg last year

#9 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:39 PM

In May there are a few crappie and perch off Bronte pier, on the marina side. Once the water warms up they disappear tho, I guess they go into the deeper parts of the lake with everything else.

#10 Vimba Vimba

Vimba Vimba

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:29 AM

Burlington is better than Oakville for yellow perch.  Good spot that doesn't freeze year round is the mouth of the Jordan's Harbour.  Try using live bait or dew worms suspended of the bottom on a float.  I got a 9 incher there once in the summer time.

Good Luck!