• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

i was at milne yesterday. on the princess rd..side..by the dam. no luck..not a bite...im really starting to wonder where the fish are at.. Toogood pond i havent had luck so far..i see fish there.but seem like carp n catfish. i was wondering the same thing...^...wonder how the big bass are there.

What bait are you fishing with? I just got back from Centre island, caught nothing there with crank baits and spoons and all fake baits together sigh... I wish they sold live bait there lol.

#22 optimus89

optimus89

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

ive tried some artificial lures at milne before...but the other day i went for carp. i was using corn on a simple hair rig... also i bought some carp bait from bass city. its the tackle shop on highway 7 right after kennedy..if your from markham..u prolly know. i got some carp bait from there...but i might experiment with some other stuff. i usually use a variety depending on what fish i wan try to catch. crank baits...spoons...worms..texas rigged. wacky rigged..jigs..w.e ... u have to try w.e n erything. lol

#23 optimus89

optimus89

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

yeah sometimes it can be frsutrating..but its just how you learn. some days it works ..some days it doesnt... but u get familiar with the lures n how to cast them..where to cast themm..how to work them. its all part of fishing...i havent been to islands to fish yet..ever. i want to go so bad..n target some bass... i havent caught my first pike either.
but i keep some leaders in my tackle box redy to goo loll

#24 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

ive tried some artificial lures at milne before...but the other day i went for carp. i was using corn on a simple hair rig... also i bought some carp bait from bass city. its the tackle shop on highway 7 right after kennedy..if your from markham..u prolly know. i got some carp bait from there...but i might experiment with some other stuff. i usually use a variety depending on what fish i wan try to catch. crank baits...spoons...worms..texas rigged. wacky rigged..jigs..w.e ... u have to try w.e n erything. lol

#25 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

I fished too good pond today, only caught small sunfish

#26 canadianhazards

canadianhazards

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

i tried milne too, no luck at all. It was at a good time too, i fished it there on a canoe ( horrible place for launching a canoe btw) in late august last year using spoons, berkely gulp minnows and even bass pro crack craws and no luck at all. I heard that there are salmon running around in there which came from lake ontario. not to be captain obvious, but I suggest not keeping any of the salmon from lake ontario as i heard that the water is pretty polluted. if you are fishing for salmon to eat, go to the goergian bay. I live just south of hwy 7 right on yonge next to uplands golf course. There is a nice looking river running in the ravine there, anyone fished there before or know if any fish exist in that river?

#27 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

40 is swan lake. it has panfish at the least if i remember correctly from like 15 years ago. but i've heard they posted no fishing signs. if you do check it out also check out 39 just down the road from there.

#28 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

There are bass in toogood but they are very picky. Saw a huge one jump and had a few hits on my frog but the hooks on the frogs where to big. Water is murky so swim bait or spinner are hard to use unless it's close to the surface. Fish there dont seem to chase after food and wait for bug on the surface to land and jump up for them. I would recommand surface baits with small hooks

#29 mikea07

mikea07

Sunfish

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hey guys,

I was driving around Markham yesterday and I came across a few bodies of water that looked interesting.

I didn't see them on the maps in this thread so I took a screenshot from google.

Just wondering if these are worth checking out or if they're a waste of time. I searched for Mountjoy on here and didn't get too much info. The other ponds looked interesting though.

If you have any insight please let me know. Shoot me a PM if you don't want to post up on here.

Just looking for somewhere to get out with the girlfriend to wet a line.

Thanks,

Mike

#30 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

isn't that closed water?

I went to Minle today and didn't think I was going to catch anything, but there were fish jumping in the distance, but then in the end I managed to catch a small bass the size of a good crappie/ sunfish, pan sized, that I released. Regretted feeding all my minnows to the ducks afterwards lol

#31 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

isn't that closed water?

He posted that on the 19th of August...

#32 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

your best chance for hook up in markham is carp.

#33 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Just keeping the awareness.....

#34 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Markham has carp in toogood but they can be picky! plus theres a lot of people who fish it so it can be hard to get a hold of a carp sometimes. Late night catfish will bite for sure! I actually went today just to fool around off a couple weed lines with a new soft bait and landed 2 largemouth bass. nothing special but they are still there!

#35 GaryC

GaryC

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Has anyone been to Markham pond 28?  I took a trek down there this morning and didn't catch anything although the pond looks very decent.  I suck at casting my fly rod so that could have been the problem.

No real access to parking so I had to walk like 15 min to get back to the pond.

#36 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

For your safety... Markham did a study of the fish in Swan lake park and concluded that the fish are unsafe for eating. There is a law in Markham that swimming, skating, fish consumption or feeding ducks will result in a $5000 fine. Fish for fun, catch and release let the fish grow bigger. These ponds are meant to filter pollutants to the bottom of the pond and release clean water back into the rivers in Markham and thus fish swim in and out. Do not eat carps, suckers or catfish because they bottom feed and accumulate these pollutants. Some can be see washing up dead on shoreline but they become fertilizer. If you want to harvest food fish, go to a clean lake instead, and follow the fish eating guide. Or buy fish from a supermarket. Foody mart, T andT, Loblaws, etc. Catfish and carps are worth $0.99-1.99 per lb. bass and walleye are $5.99-11.99 per lb. trout are $2.99-3.99 per lb, crappie may be 8.99-14.99 per lb. Buy clean wild or farmed fish, do not risk your health by eating dirty fish that are bioaccumulating pollutants to clean River water in storm water management ponds.

#37 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't swim in the water or you wouldn't drink the water from the pond, THEN don't eat the fish.

#38 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:25 AM

Species in Markham ponds include: variety of minnows, bass, catfish, suckers, sunfish, rock bass, white crappie, black crappie, and common european carp, if lucky there may be trouts but they move around all the time and never stay in one place.

#39 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

Side note my profile pic is a Markham Largemouth Bass. My current length record is 11 inches.

#40 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

Don't eat the fish and they getting bigger and bigger. :)