- - - - -

Proper Fish Handling + Photography

With the pending warmer weather and the trout opener I expect we will see a spate of wonderful fishing reports--sharing with members and guests alike the results (and perhaps, the techniques and methods) of our pursuit of Mykiss . Of course our excitement and jubilation of having sparred with nature and come out as victor (sometimes) also involves the sharing of photos of this august fish. And it is precisely this aspect of our reports that is of some concern--there is a reason why we oftentimes call Mykiss the "August Fish." Whether the nobility of salar, the painterly markings of the brook trout, or, indeed the bright chrome, small headed, thick-bodied torpedo that tests our terminal tackle, these fish are "stately" and should be respected and treated as such.

Of course I am admittedly (as many others here) a conservationist without apology and do not expect everyone to necessarily subscribe to my brand of "sustainability." I do however take very seriously the manner in which we handle and treat fish...in particular the oblivious disregard for the general well-being of these fish for the sake of a photograph. (SEE Part I: the Ministry Guideline to Proper Fish Handling.)

Please know that we love a good story and one with pictures even more, however please ensure that fish are ALWAYS photographed in the water or very near to it so as to mitigate stress to the fish.

This represents only THIS anglers' opinion and not board policy...I should prefer not to see pictures of beached fish...

jmo

good hunting
cc

77 Comments

Best thing to do is to hold the tail out of the water... remember that all the power comes from the back side and if its kicking its tail while your holding it in the water, it can break free of your grip...  takes a bit of getting used to but the more fish you will catch, the better you will become at dealing with it. 

x2.  :cool:

Photo
fishingdude
Apr 29 2013 10:28 PM

12814410.jpg

12814410.jpg

Nice!

...i wonder why the fly guys on TV always handle the fish gently, but the guys with mercury written on thier shirts grab every single trout and sensitive species of fishby the gills---some of these guys life the fish up and its almost folding in half by the gills...millions of people watch these shows why doesnt anyone complain or mention they are a senstive fish not a duffle bag? does anyone find this strange?

BANG ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  .... what an awesome observation! I agree whole heartedly!!!!

The topic of hero shots/poses always seems to create friction on the forum. For those that are interested, read Dr. Bruce Tufts study on the mortality rate of played out rainbow. It's an eye opener and should convince most of us to keep the fish in the water if you're serious about catch and release.Granted, we all like pictures for whatever reasons, but it's not always necessary is it? Personally, I don't feel the need need to document every second of life's moments for the internet, in fact, I dropped  off FB because I couldn't get photos of my kids back. I'm puzzled by the flack some forum members get for trying to simply educate others

The topic of hero shots/poses always seems to create friction on the forum. For those that are interested, read Dr. Bruce Tufts study on the mortality rate of played out rainbow. It's an eye opener and should convince most of us to keep the fish in the water if you're serious about catch and release.Granted, we all like pictures for whatever reasons, but it's not always necessary is it? Personally, I don't feel the need need to document every second of life's moments for the internet, in fact, I dropped  off FB because I couldn't get photos of my kids back. I'm puzzled by the flack some forum members get for trying to simply educate others

fantastic!

Thanks brother

On some of those bass shows i think that they should be sitting down in a chair with a seat belt. Guys if you're gonna take a pic make it ultra quick and put them back in. It isnt worth it taking a hero shot and have the fish dieing later just for a 'cool' pic.

just keep it in the net submersed in water and get some great looking glassy shots of the water over its head and body. I got a great shot of a largie last week like this.

EDIT: http://fishincolour....ost/54073004146

Also plugging my fish related photography, just started the blog so not to much content yet. I didn't want to post photos from fall or winter in the summer so I am basically only putting up new photos atm.

post the pic!!!

Check the edit. :)

you should take some videos and share them to your friends including us ,something is better to share and to momerise agree?

Some of you are still not getting  it...

We don't need more heros...

1 gopro with "guide"
1 gopro on head of sport #1
1 camera phone with sport #1
1 camera phone with sport#2

1 fish out of water for 5mins+, thumb fawked and then just tossed downstream

awesome

Amen!

I'm as guilty as the next guy of taking a picture of a fish out of water.  I've never "beached" a fish, or left it lying in the dirt, that seems like a really stupid thing to do unless you're going to be eating it.

But I'll pick a bass up by the lip and hold it out for a photo op, then give it a gentle supported release.  I'll set a walleye on my hand for a picture, I'll support a pike horizontally and take a picture.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with that, and you'd be hard pressed to sell me that it's detrimental to the fish to have it out of water for the picture.

That said, I take pictures of maybe 1 in 20 fish I catch.

"So no more colourised "glamour" shots of the thousand dollar reel and hand made rod with a beached trout gasping for air laying in the dirt in front of it....? "

How is having a thousand dollar reel and a hand made rod relavent ?

"So no more colourised "glamour" shots of the thousand dollar reel and hand made rod with a beached trout gasping for air laying in the dirt in front of it....? "

How is having a thousand dollar reel and a hand made rod relavent ?

Where did you see that Donny? On this Post? Somewhere else?

I'm asking because I'd like to see that Picture. I went through the 3 Pages and didn't see anything like that. Maybe I missed it.

"How is having a thousand dollar reel and a hand made rod rela(e)vent ?" Lost me on that Question. Unless it's part of the Fish Picure. Yes? No?           

Where did you see that Donny? On this Post? Somewhere else?

I'm asking because I'd like to see that Picture. I went through the 3 Pages and didn't see anything like that. Maybe I missed it.

"How is having a thousand dollar reel and a hand made rod rela(e)vent ?" Lost me on that Question. Unless it's part of the Fish Picure. Yes? No?           

scroll through the 100pages of the UPT

anti_troll_spray_zps654a9ba8.jpg

Hit previous twice and 3 posts down . Pretty easy to find

scroll through the 100pages of the UPT

anti_troll_spray_zps654a9ba8.jpg

OH! Grow Up & Give it up will you Please. It's getting really boring and out of hand. Why is it that you seem to think that my question was some sort of TROLLING!!

Donnyt didn't, the one I asked the question to (Not You) didn't  have any problem answering my Question. Why do YOU have to make an issue out of it?? ACAIN!!

You're the one doing the Trolling here! NOT ME!!

Hit previous twice and 3 posts down . Pretty easy to find

Thank you Donny. I appreciate your Straight Forward Answer.

I don't think he's on this forum, but the fishing pics he posts on a couple other boards are spectacular. All done with the fish's welfare in-mind.

www.mjleung.com

I don't think he's on this forum, but the fishing pics he posts on a couple other boards are spectacular. All done with the fish's welfare in-mind.

www.mjleung.com

Who? Donnyt? Sure he is, otherwise how would he be able to answer my question?

In fact this is his Member Home Page.  http://www.ontariofi...r/30597-donnyt/

I had a look at your Web Site Kestrel.  Nice Photos my man!!!

Who? Donnyt? Sure he is, otherwise how would he be able to answer my question?

In fact this is his Member Home Page.  http://www.ontariofi...r/30597-donnyt/

I had a look at your Web Site Kestrel.  Nice Photos my man!!!

I was referring to MJL from OFC/FF.NET. That's his link and those are his pictures. I put it up as an example that fish don't need to be shake n baked in mud or sand to get a good picture.

I was referring to MJL from OFC/FF.NET. That's his link and those are his pictures. I put it up as an example that fish don't need to be shake n baked in mud or sand to get a good picture.

Okay. Thank you Kestrel. :razz: