chalkhorse's Content

There have been 147 items by chalkhorse (Search limited from 24-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#272575 Shore Fishing around Hamilton/ Burlington area

Posted by chalkhorse on 11 June 2013 - 03:44 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I'm planning a fathers day fishing trip for Sunday.  I hope we don't get skunked, lol. We're in Burlington but I wouldn't mind driving somewhere for up to an hour to find a nice spot submerged in nature.  Any ideas?  Laura 

mountsberg or rockwood, but they will be crazy packed... hilton falls will be less packed and only about a half hour out of town

#272494 replacing treble hooks with single hooks

Posted by chalkhorse on 10 June 2013 - 08:58 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

there is debate over "landing

I don't think I'd put a single on when going for pike, bass, salmon or walleye etc...

But the one situation I have thought would be beneficial is when targeting small resident trout.

Trout are temperamental when out of the water too long, also, when riverfishing, the current/retrieve sets the hook anyway.

I will definitely keep the trebles on my trolling baits, as well as my topwater bass lures.

Hook-up percentages are already slim on topwater smallies, no way I'm going to voluntarily give anymore advantage to those shaky rascals.

there is debate over landing ratios with single hooks.  although the hookup percentage is supposed to be lower (i haven't seen that yet in my little experiment,) the landing ratios are supposed to be higher with a single secure point of hookup (which i haven't noticed yet, either, due to my small sampling so far (maybe thirty fish)) 

#272493 The Joy of Not Fishing

Posted by chalkhorse on 10 June 2013 - 08:51 AM in General Fishing Discussion

the six-pack rings are a total pet peeve of mine.  something so easy to pocket and so lethal to area rodents and fowl.

there is NO rationalization for this and offenders need to have their licence plates recorded and the rings forced into their gas tanks the next time they are parked at a site.

(that's actually the most civil thing rushing through my mind when i see those lazy self important f@@@@@@)

oops. out loud?

sorry, i know this is a sturgeon thread...

#272464 replacing treble hooks with single hooks

Posted by chalkhorse on 09 June 2013 - 10:04 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I'm also in the process of replacing trebles with singles on crankbaits such as Big 'O's and Hot n' Tot. I'm just replacing the rear hooks because I think removing a treble under the belly of the 'bait' will change the action. These lures have slit rings so I don't need to use Siwash hooks. What type and general size of hook would you recommend?

thx

i'm still a little early into this, but bass season is almost upon us, so i promise to get back to you on this...  (was piking yesterday at mountsberg, and pulled in a five out of season pound largemouth. i usually get pound to pound and a halfers at mountsberg. that was from a jitterbug with a couple carlisle hooks attached with two slit o rings each, to compensate for the hook offset) 

i am finding i am going a little larger when i pop in the single, and with a carlisle or other long shanked hook, but it's more from a gut feeling than anything quasiscientific yet.

#272463 replacing treble hooks with single hooks

Posted by chalkhorse on 09 June 2013 - 09:52 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

null_zps5c4f36d6.jpg

JCVD himself would encourage the use of singles... Maybe not barbless tho.

And he is heavily involved in the bloodsport.

ha! jvcd 2008 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130988/  one of my favourite off beat movies...

#272432 How's it goin?

Posted by chalkhorse on 08 June 2013 - 12:30 PM in Welcome!

Welcome, john. Spent a couple weeks near Dartmouth fishing small mouth last summer. I'm more in the Hamilton area, but I make it up to haliburton forest and Algonquin a fair amount. These aren't TOO far from you. Pm me if you are heading a little west...

#272431 Fish in the 416

Posted by chalkhorse on 08 June 2013 - 12:18 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

I 100% agree with not sharing spots. Having lived outside of ontario for 8 yrs and returning home, I find myself consistently getting upset with what I see. I constantly find the white bucket brigade fishing in areas where they were no where to be found before, places where only locals used to know about. I've gone to spots that were once pristine, only to find litter everywhere, fishing line all over the place, and general damage to the surrounding area.

I personally would support the entire sport fishery in Ontario going to 100% c&r for 10yrs. We could rebuild the fishery quickly, and eliminate these people who will keep everything and treat our beautiful fishery as nothing more that a resource to be pillaged. I know most aren't in line with my thinking that we should have a 0 limit, but I don't care. Like everything, once the fish are gone they will not come back, and some slugs will stock fish that have no business being in our waters, because they just ust don't care about our beautiful country and its amazing resources.

Very well said!

#272428 Fish in the 416

Posted by chalkhorse on 08 June 2013 - 10:01 AM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

I understand the need to be discreet when talking about fishing spots, but surely there must be a limit. If you post that Grenadier pond is a spot for carp, I don't think you are letting any big secret out. Likewise Angus and a few more spots for 'certain other fish'. "Everybody" knows about those spots anyway. 

i think conservation areas, provincial and national parks the "paid" ones, are a given when it comes to being able to mention names.  it keeps the sport thriving, helps with conservation budgets and concentrates people in a region that is more geared to handle an influx of people... ie, washrooms, garbages, staff, etc.

#272425 replacing treble hooks with single hooks

Posted by chalkhorse on 08 June 2013 - 08:39 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

well, here's my take. thanks everyone for their input.  I get less success ratios with surface lures using single hooks, but with spinners, crankbaits, rapalas and buzzbaits , it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. i haven't been using spoons as of late, so the jury is still out on that one...

#272424 Help ID'ing lure

Posted by chalkhorse on 08 June 2013 - 08:23 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

love that... very cool...

#272419 mountsberg and island lake

Posted by chalkhorse on 07 June 2013 - 10:14 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Try surface fishing at dusk if you want to pull bass out of mountsberg. It's full of them.

#272418 mountsberg and island lake

Posted by chalkhorse on 07 June 2013 - 10:12 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I've fished both, and have gotten larger pike out of mountsberg. You might want to try puslinch lake in Cambridge...

#271483 New to the OFF

Posted by chalkhorse on 25 May 2013 - 07:35 PM in Welcome!

Welcome to the forum. You picked a great addiction... ummm... hobby...

#271482 secret quarry fishing...

Posted by chalkhorse on 25 May 2013 - 07:33 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

I think orangeville Has some interesting possibilities as well

#271481 replacing treble hooks with single hooks

Posted by chalkhorse on 25 May 2013 - 07:31 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

You can always snap two sides of the barbless treble should still work

I hadn't even thought of that... great idea...

#271453 Little Lake Barrie

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 09:02 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Sweet... good luck

#271440 tobermory and such

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 04:57 PM in General Fishing Discussion

well, you are on the huron side, albeit a bit north, so it will heat up sooner and warmer than the georgian bay side.

we were swimming about 5 km south of you last weekend at dorcas bay.

but it is still early, so i'd go slow.

i'm really finding that rich_ace_g understands piking, especially early season, so i'd pm him if i were you... 

#271432 tobermory and such

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 02:43 PM in General Fishing Discussion

indian harbour.

i'd be willing to to bet that there are early season giant pike there...

#271416 secret quarry fishing...

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 01:13 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

speaking of which, has this forum ever tried to put together a pub night?

#271411 secret quarry fishing...

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 01:04 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

i've been swimming in the quarries by the schneiders sign on the 401 betwixt morriston and cambridge, but not fishing... might venture out by cover of darkness this summer...

#271410 secret quarry fishing...

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 01:01 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

i have a local set of quarries that has quite good bass fishing... surface and deeper... AND you can get a good bonfire going

i'm certain there are pike but i have yet to get one

#271384 Favourite lure of all time

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 09:31 AM in General Fishing Discussion

I've gotta say I love my Jitterbug.  I've caught more fish on that thing than any other lure in my box. I also love topwater fishing.

gotta say, i love the jitterbug too... though the double prop headon torpedo is a close runner...

#271381 secret quarry fishing...

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 09:25 AM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

this is one post where i feel the actual names of places should be only pm'ed, but what kind of success has anyone had "sneaking" into private abandoned quarries?

#271380 secret quarry fishing...

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 09:18 AM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

okay... who just got excited?

#271377 Favourite lure of all time

Posted by chalkhorse on 24 May 2013 - 09:03 AM in General Fishing Discussion

1/4 oz black and yellow panther martin spinner - dressed... followed by a rebel deep wee-r crankbait - frog