Joel52's Content

There have been 33 items by Joel52 (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#339399 New To Pike Fishing - Need Advice

Posted by Joel52 on 03 April 2017 - 06:53 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Just south of Timmins? You should be able to catch pike using hot dogs for bait up there... try a #2 Mepps silver tipped with half a worm and troll it slowly (as slow as you can) about 20-25' behind the motor in about 6-8' of water. With pike, always wait for the second hit to set the hook. chomp, chomp...

#338845 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Joel52 on 21 February 2017 - 03:21 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I think your Long Nose Gar is possible in the Ottawa River. I camped at Driftwood Provincial Park near Deep River once - caught Sturgeon there. Ever catch a Sturgeon? They have a good launch.

http://www.campscout...pground/ON0414/

#338843 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Joel52 on 21 February 2017 - 02:58 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Not sure where he used to put in but my father in law used to fish the north channel between Manitoulin and the mainland. Big lakers and pike.

http://thisismanitoulin.ca/fishing/

Also, if you trek down 69/400 to the Key River it's possible to access the Bustard Islands in Georgian Bay.

http://campdore.com/

#338835 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Joel52 on 21 February 2017 - 08:36 AM in General Fishing Discussion

What size boat do you have?

#338372 I love this video...

Posted by Joel52 on 15 January 2017 - 12:00 PM in General Fishing Discussion

No stories here.

https://www.facebook...83926018313032/

#338330 Taxidermy or replica?

Posted by Joel52 on 12 January 2017 - 03:35 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Neither. Pictures work for me.

#337977 Navigable Water?

Posted by Joel52 on 15 December 2016 - 10:56 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Ask permission - it's usually not a problem if you do this, and then if it is, at least you'll know and avoid confrontation. I think the laws governing this type of access are good. In most cases if there is an environmental protection zone in place, the land owner is responsible for making sure it's adhered to. If I owned land (at one time I did with a creek - 200' EP in place), I would appreciate the ask. For every ten good people there's at least one idiot that litters, disrespects property, ect. People that ask don't usually have campfires and leave beer cans behind.

#337578 Le Baron Liquidation/Bankruptcy Sale

Posted by Joel52 on 07 November 2016 - 03:46 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

All locations are liquidating. Not much left... but still some good deals. 40% off fishing gear.

#336742 Trolling!!

Posted by Joel52 on 01 October 2016 - 06:47 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Fair enough, but I've done this successfully in waters I'm not familiar with as well. When you fish with braid you feel everything. With a spinner, you'll feel it spinning. If that changes it's probably a weed unless it pulls back - unmistakably a fish. Another reason to use braid is the quicker hook set. The only problem with trolling spinners is you'll inevitably wind up your line. Yet another reason to use braid. Tip it with a fluorocarbon leader. Occasionally a big northern chews it off... c'est la vie!

#336720 Trolling!!

Posted by Joel52 on 30 September 2016 - 07:51 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Trolling in a small lake with deep diving crank baits? I have never came across any angler targeting bass using this method.

Trolling with deep diving lures & down riggers r for big deep lakes with clean bottom for walleye of salmon.

I troll shallows for smallies all the time - successfully. Spinner and a worm, 4-5 feet of water, slow as you can go.

#335611 Any one finance a boat from a private sale

Posted by Joel52 on 26 August 2016 - 06:59 AM in General Fishing Discussion

That term is easily found. Bass Pro has that term as well as other big dealerships across Ontario. I would advise if you want a boat and willing to go that far for a term, buy brand new. New wont break.

Never on a used boat private sale, not a chance. Unless the seller is willing to finance? Doesn't sound like that's possible here. I agree with you on the "new" - you also have a warranty that comes with new.

#335583 Any one finance a boat from a private sale

Posted by Joel52 on 25 August 2016 - 12:07 PM in General Fishing Discussion

"Most marine loans can be from 15 to 20 years. That's how so many people can afford the bigger yachts the value
either gets purchased with home equity or purchased with a 20 year marine loan."

Good luck with that, I doubt you'll get that length of term. How old is the boat ad what's the value?

#335569 Any one finance a boat from a private sale

Posted by Joel52 on 24 August 2016 - 07:49 PM in General Fishing Discussion

No one will give you 15 years on a boat. Too risky. Problem with the line of credit is you need something or someone to back it with. The boat won't work so you'll need a co-signor. Your parents or a rich friend/relative might work there.

#335444 2016 Peru trip

Posted by Joel52 on 22 August 2016 - 07:02 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Wow! amazing!

But I"ll take a pass on the Palm weevil larvae - pretty sure no to that...

#334850 Contacting OFF Admin.

Posted by Joel52 on 03 August 2016 - 08:08 AM in General Fishing Discussion

I don't know about the rest you guys and gals, but I learned a lot about catching fish by reading this thread... :cool: I've been a member of this forum for a while now, never seen anything quite like this.

#334579 Coleman and lack of parts

Posted by Joel52 on 28 July 2016 - 06:40 AM in General Fishing Discussion

yup, consumerism for sure. My GPS traffic antenna stopped working. Called the company - they tell me I'm now obsolete. I asked about the lifetime traffic and map updates. She replied "for the life of the unit, not my lifetime". Doesn't seem right to me. Go figger eh.

#334553 What fish do you usually keep to cook?

Posted by Joel52 on 26 July 2016 - 03:54 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Pretty simple: small pieces, flour, salt, pepper is all. Fried in canola oil.

Attached Images

• 13669448_10210332262567646_5286308811223581338_o.jpg

#334550 What fish do you usually keep to cook?

Posted by Joel52 on 26 July 2016 - 03:11 PM in General Fishing Discussion

correct previous post - don't usually bring any home, just eat them at the lake. If pike is done properly (no bones) It's pretty good.

Attached Images

• 13668886_10210332262527645_2097599292243856578_o.jpg

#334547 What fish do you usually keep to cook?

Posted by Joel52 on 26 July 2016 - 02:48 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Walleye (14-21") Smallies (12-14") Northern Pike (22-30")

When we catch smaller/bigger, they usually go back in the lake (bigger ones get their picture taken). That said, we have made a few exceptions.

#334454 Lackluster Lure Luck

Posted by Joel52 on 19 July 2016 - 08:11 AM in General Fishing Discussion

I agree, #2 Mepps with a little piece of worm on the end. You may want to have a few different colours like black/yellow, black/chartreuse, red/silver/yellow and plain silver. Use a fluorocarbon leader (12-18") and swivel snap. That should work.

#334441 Best spinning rod under $150

Posted by Joel52 on 18 July 2016 - 05:10 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

The BassPro Bionic Blade, was/is good, however they no longer support this product beyond 1 year. We have 4 of these from years past and one has lost a ceramic eye - they say too bad. Otherwise they're great spinning rods, but maybe overpriced considering the lack of support. We have Fenwick fly rods - great product.

#334423 Need to rent a boat motor

Posted by Joel52 on 16 July 2016 - 10:06 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Where are you hoping to use it?

#334303 Does the rain improve fishing?

Posted by Joel52 on 08 July 2016 - 09:10 AM in General Fishing Discussion

I think an active barometer affects fishing. Usually changes in pressure mean changes in weather, rain or sun.

#334253 Fished lake eugina for the first time

Posted by Joel52 on 06 July 2016 - 09:10 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Here's what I've learned over the years that I've fished:

First off, there's an old rhyme that goes like this.

Wind from the east, fish bite the least;
Wind from the west, the fish bite the best;
Wind from the north, few sailors set forth;
Wind from the south blows bait in their mouth.

Wind direction doesn't always predict fishing success, however fronts and weather systems associated with it are usually consistent with conditions that people have noticed catching fish vs. not catching fish. That said, I think the barometer is an important indicator. I was once told by someone who knew more about these things than me to get a goldfish and observe it. If it's active, go fishing. If it's sulking on the bottom, go golfing.

As for chop on the water, I think in a lot of cases it helps for certain species like walleye. If my feet are getting wet at the back of the boat, I'm most of the time catching fish.

The windy side of the lake is a better place to fish - or at least from my own experience. Wind and waves tend to stir up the bottom and food, and this brings out the bigger fish to feed. I remember once fishing in about three feet of very choppy water on a clear sunny afternoon and we had so many double headers it was nuts - three pounders and up. The smallies were feeding voraciously on these little worms being stirred up fro the bottom. We have other similar experiences. Fish are basically lazy creatures. They usually don't spend more energy on food than what they get from it. If it zips by in front of their nose, that sometimes works.

So much more to say on this....hahahaha

#334187 Fished lake eugina for the first time

Posted by Joel52 on 04 July 2016 - 07:00 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Eugina is not an easy lake to fish on the weekends. Lots of boat traffic!! We fished that lake quite a bit one summer when we owned a boat, and I know a few good spots where we did have good success, but you need to be resilient to the boat and jet ski traffic. Just let them zip by...it did get annoying after a while. It seemed when we tried quiet spots to fish we didn't catch anything. Go figger.