finnigan's Content

There have been 61 items by finnigan (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#341612 Huron Tribs

Posted by finnigan on 01 September 2017 - 09:08 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

I went down to the big north west Huron trib today to check it out and there was lots of guys out and saw quite a few chinnys splashing around. I'm gonna head out in the am and have a go at it. If I can find a spot. Lol

#341576 Fishing planet on ps4

Posted by finnigan on 30 August 2017 - 05:55 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I still remember back in the day Trophy Bass ... and the crappy spin off Trophy rivers.

I don't remember ever playing that one. My fav was rapala pro fishing for PS2. Lots of species and different challenges to do. Great game.

But for slamming off fish after fish arcade style Sega bass fishing is definitely top of the list.

#341546 What can I tie with these?

Posted by finnigan on 28 August 2017 - 06:30 PM in Fly Tying

Imagine if there was an app, that you put in your materials and it tells you what flies can be made!?

....next big thing?

That'd be awesome!

My brother in law's a hunter so he gives me all these random feathers. Turkey, partridge, woodcock. He even found a dead owl once and plucked a bunch of feathers for me. Lol I just don't know what the hell to do with it??

#341543 Fishing planet on ps4

Posted by finnigan on 28 August 2017 - 04:11 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Fishing planet is finally coming to a console. It will be released on the PlayStation store tomorrow (Aug 29) and is apparently free to play (ha). Not sure about Xbox one?

I'm pretty pumped considering the only other fishing game we have on ps4 is euro fishing which is a snoozefest and I enjoy doing a little bit of vidgea game fishing during down time in between open water and ice season.

Trailer here:

https://youtu.be/X0uNhsLmGWA

#341513 RAIN

Posted by finnigan on 26 August 2017 - 09:57 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Lol came out the the wrong way. Haven't had my cup of joe yet.

But seriously, if you guys weren't fishing in farm run off ditches maybe you'd catch some fish. 😁

#341509 RAIN

Posted by finnigan on 26 August 2017 - 09:12 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Fall steel was brutal.

I don't know what you're talking about. The Huron tribs up here were loaded last year.

#341488 Simcoe smallmouth.

Posted by finnigan on 24 August 2017 - 10:12 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Thanks guys. We found a few fish in the flats on either side of kbay so it wasn't a total bust thanks to everyone's help.

Next time we will prob make the trip down to cooks bay in hopes of improving our numbers.

#341324 Simcoe smallmouth.

Posted by finnigan on 17 August 2017 - 04:39 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Hello ladies and gents.

So the old ladies dad is coming up this weekend and bringing his boat and would like to fish Simcoe for bass. I'd like to at least get him on a few fish so it's not a total wasted trip for him. The only problem is I don't own a boat so I have no idea where to start. Lol

Ideally we'd like to launch in kempenfelt because I live in Barrie but may end up going to fish cooks bay or the islands instead if I don't find any spots in Barrie.

Anywho I'm just curious if anybody would be generous enough to possibly PM me a general area in kempenfelt that usually holds some decent smallies. Not asking for any honey holes just a place to start as I have no experience fishing lady Simcoe for bass via boat.

Thanks for any help what so ever as I'm literally going in blind here but want to make the best of the day for the old fella

#340896 Tenkara fishing

Posted by finnigan on 19 July 2017 - 04:42 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I live in Ottawa but travel to the GTA frequently with my Tenkara gear (Love to fish Highway 7 on the way home). If you know some good spots, I'd be happy to join you. I'm usually available on weeknights after 5pm but with the long summer days that leaves plenty of fishing time.
Let me know.

When ppl say fish highway 7 are they referring to all the creeks that head north out of Lake Ontario? I've heard "fish highway 7" a few times. I also take the 407 quite often and always wonder what some of those creeks might hold.

#340240 Ponds, small lakes in KW Elmira area. Just bought a Pelican Bass Raider

Posted by finnigan on 13 May 2017 - 04:45 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Best way to find spots close to home is Google maps. Scan the area for any ponds or small lakes you may find nearby. Make a list, take a quick tour around and check them out. If they're on private property you could try knocking on the door and maybe bring a 6 pack for a bottle of wine with you. You'd be surprised where ppl Wil let you fish if you actually ask first.

#340235 FishBum Rant

Posted by finnigan on 13 May 2017 - 10:14 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Dry = not wet.

Torrential = tropical monsoon.

How hard is that rain? I forgot my rain gear one morning and was soaked down the the undiee, socks and soles within 1min of rain.

Also...is Hurricane Katrina (H1 state) heavy enough (yes, I camped through Katrina)? How about Tornado warning?

2h hours of cool (temp wise) tropical monsoon in 30C heat. I'd take my Helly Hensen rain jacket any day. It is made of breathable material.

But anyways, while I am making my point, yes, I do agree there is a minimum level of competency in the gear. I'm not talking about wearing a garbage bag, or am I talking about fishing with a $20 reel. Simms, however, is beyond competent.

A great drummer can put out great beats using pots, pans, bowls and cups. If you're competent, you can adapt to even subpar gear. Is it more enjoyable with great gear? Sure. Is it necessarily worth that money for marginally better gear...not always.

I guess I'm just one that value the ability to travel vs. the need for top end gear.

While I do agree it comes down to the user of said equipment not the gear itself, drums aren't just drums. High end shells nowadays are matched for a cetain tonality. Sure an amazing drummer can make some insane music with a cheap set of pawn shop drums. But that same drummer can make even better music that actually sounds good with properly tuned drums made from high quality shells. Then again some people have no ear for music and just hear the smacking of a drum and no tone at all. Lol

#340143 Opening Day Luck? Share your stories...

Posted by finnigan on 06 May 2017 - 10:28 PM in Fly Fishing

I would find it hard to get excited about small fish like that with big Chromers in rivers but im glad to see you find pleasure !!! Great fishing to you !!!!
Fish on !

Meh steelheading is fun but nothing beats catching small coloured up resi's on a fly rod. Plus it takes more skill. 😆

Seriously though I got out had my fun catching some chromers before and on opener on the pin. But the crowds are garbage and searching for fishable water is painful. Chucking bait is mindless poop. I went out my first day steelheading and hammered 9 fish. Now fly fishing is a different story. Go try and paste 10 resident Browns in 2 hours your first day fly fishing and let me know how you do.

#340076 Choosing a new CP

Posted by finnigan on 03 May 2017 - 01:09 PM in Float Fishing

They both suck. Thats truth...Islander is best reel on market aside from custom. You won't regret it

I disagree. There's a lot of decent reels out there that are much cheaper than custom priced reels. I have a kingpin imperial that's 10 years old I bought for 200 bucks and I'd take it over an islander any day. And it's the easiest reel ever to field strip and doesn't require a single tool

#339774 Opener Fishing Reports

Posted by finnigan on 22 April 2017 - 07:40 PM in General Fishing Discussion

A few shakers and a 3 lber. Definitely a slow day. Water was high but clarity was good. I think with the short winter most fish have dropped back already. At least in the north tribs. Most ppl I talked to said same thing. Little to no luck anywhere

#339714 Boat fishing provincial parks

Posted by finnigan on 19 April 2017 - 06:26 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Camp at inverhuron and fish the Bruce power outflow

Hey now. That place gets enough traffic as it is without the help of you posting it online.

#339662 Steelhead on 6-weight?

Posted by finnigan on 16 April 2017 - 09:26 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Some people would say yes. But honestly I think if you get into a bigger fish you're gonna get wooped. If you do play the fish out by the time you get it in it'll be exhausted. Not that it can't be done (I've caught 5 lb smallies on a 4 wt but the fish the rod and myself took a beating).

I'd go for an 8 wt if I were you. Shouldnt have any trouble turning a big fish and if you ever want to toss big bass flies for river smallies you're set.

#339645 The local ponds and fishing

Posted by finnigan on 15 April 2017 - 08:54 AM in General Fishing Discussion

What is the law of you bring a fish from a random river and toss it in the local pond in my area. There is a pond near my home. I wish ot had some fish in just for sake of it.

You need a special license to transport live game fish and even then I don't think it's legal to take it upon yourself to stock a public lake.

But I'd say do it anyways just don't get caught lol.

Before you do though make darn sure there's nothing in there already. I'd hate to see you ruin a nice stocked rainbow pond by tossing a 5lb bucket in there to have a buffet.

#339633 ice fishinf over

Posted by finnigan on 13 April 2017 - 04:57 PM in Ice Fishing

Vegan only when the Leafs play, chips and beer.

You may want to look into how your particular beer brand is filtered. Some beers are strained through isiniglass. Which is dried fish swim bladder. Yum!

#339615 ice fishinf over

Posted by finnigan on 12 April 2017 - 07:44 PM in Ice Fishing

Perch until trout opener. Then it'll be steelhead, brookies, and browns until bass opener comes.

#339556 West Trib Steelhead

Posted by finnigan on 09 April 2017 - 10:31 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

I recommend not fishing at all. There's no fish anyways. 😃

#339555 Bass rivers near Barrie?

Posted by finnigan on 09 April 2017 - 10:14 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Why not try Nottawasaga at Evendale?

Cause it's horrible lol. No seriously I've only ever caught pike and suckers in there and seen some big carp. It's a decent spot but no God for fly fishing or bass really. There's better spots on the notty for sure.

#339496 Bass rivers near Barrie?

Posted by finnigan on 07 April 2017 - 09:36 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Most any body of water has bass in them. Good luck

I beg to differ lol.

I've fished a lot of creeks that have nothing but chub and suckers in them.

Hell I remember being a kid and catching boat loads of sunfish in some creeks but they're not even around anymore.

I swear the creek chub are getting ready for world domination. Lol

#339488 The local ponds and fishing

Posted by finnigan on 07 April 2017 - 06:18 PM in General Fishing Discussion

It's a violation...first, there is clearly a no fishing sign...2nd bass is close until June. I pass by the area from time to time. by bike or by car and have not seen anyone fish the area looks very shallow.

Exactly my point. It's a no fishing area so who cares if it's posted online? If anything this thread has saved me the trouble of stopping and finding out for myself. I'm sure some ass hats will fish it anyways, but like I said before it looks like a man made pond someone tossed bass in anyways. It's not gonna be environmentally crippling if a few kids went fishing there once or twice because they saw it here.

#339487 Bass rivers near Barrie?

Posted by finnigan on 07 April 2017 - 06:15 PM in General Fishing Discussion

My co worker has been fishing creeks with a lot of success in the Flesherton area since he was a little kid. That might be a tad to west for you.

Yea it's a little further than I'd hope to go, but I go out that way sometimes for trout so you never know I may try for bass one day. Thanks

#339310 The local ponds and fishing

Posted by finnigan on 29 March 2017 - 11:49 AM in General Fishing Discussion

And now everyone knows.....bravo.

Who cares? It's a pond right beside the hwy that is marked no fishing and clearly had bass put in it. It's not like it's a small stream filled w native brook trout that could get fished out in a summer.