grubman's Content

There have been 1000 items by grubman (Search limited from 17-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#261212 A jig I tied

Posted by grubman on 05 February 2013 - 12:26 PM in Fly Tying

NIce tie guys. I've never used bucktail jigs so never tied them up. All it would take for me to change my mind is a hit and I'll be tying them up too......lol.

#260477 Italo goes carpin

Posted by grubman on 31 January 2013 - 05:50 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I'm not a big fan of italo lol

You would be if the girls were NAKED!!!!!!!!........ ;)

#260476 Flies for Spring

Posted by grubman on 31 January 2013 - 05:46 PM in Fly Fishing

One of the biots broke while I tied it....SOB. :oops: But the thorax is the first tube I've tied and is weighted just as the abdomen is. Total length is about 2 1/2 inches. So part tube part articulated fly. Where's the bass...dam it.....lol.

Attached Files

#260470 Italo goes carpin

Posted by grubman on 31 January 2013 - 04:02 PM in General Fishing Discussion

He did a couple of episodes in India. It should have beed called India Sportfishing......lol.
The fishergirl's should be topless or in bikinis........... :shock: then I'll watch and pay attention to the show......lol.

#260344 Dollarama Gear

Posted by grubman on 30 January 2013 - 08:51 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I stopped off at the dollarama looking for some kinda box to store flies that I've tied and about to. Well in the baby item section you'll see baby wipe boxes, one blue and one pink. The box is empty but I've found that if you get their weather stripping foam; it comes in a roll about 1 cm wide and 5.5M long, you can cut the weather stripping to the width of the box and stick it down. It's not so good for tiny flies as the wide weatherstripping will crush any hackle. But for larger flies it's a cheap way to store your spare flies.

Yeah Dollarama......lol.

#260336 Flies for Spring

Posted by grubman on 30 January 2013 - 08:19 PM in Fly Fishing

Murray's doesn't look much like a hellgrammite sorry to say

Posted Image

Try this

Posted Image

This suggests that a recipe is needed, will see what I can come up with

cc

Chase is that a pic of Nigronia Serricornis? It looks like it is, only I can't confirm it's max size in Ont is 4".

Corydalus Cornutus is suppose to reach 9cm 3 1/2", Ontario's second most common Hellgrammite.
That fly looks great, but a long hook like that gives the fish alot of leverage to break it at the bend. I've tied articulated patterns with smaller hooks, that's what I would do. But that is a good looking immitation. If you can find the pattern that'd be great.
Thanks.

#260322 Flies for Spring

Posted by grubman on 30 January 2013 - 06:28 PM in Fly Fishing

I have'nt seen a decent hellgrammite pattern, most of them look closer to a bugger (which is already so generic). Anyone have a good pattern? I'd bet my money on hell.

Back, pratice casting and you'll be ready when the ice melts..... :D

#260284 Flies for Spring

Posted by grubman on 30 January 2013 - 12:24 PM in Fly Fishing

I'm in the process of tying up some nymphs stones and caddis. I'll screen the trib bottom to see what's living there first, I just hope I've tied something that comes close to what's there.

#260281 New Here....

Posted by grubman on 30 January 2013 - 11:48 AM in Welcome!

Hey Squid

Welcome to the forum. It's kind a tough for fly fishing right now and it's going back into the deep freeze for a little while. Some guys head down to Niagara with their fly; I'm mostly east trib. Best thing is to hang around and pick up some pointers, if you got pics of Bermuda catches we'd love to see them. Once the weather warms up and the flies start to hatch the tribs will be filled with fly guys.

#260273 hey

Posted by grubman on 30 January 2013 - 09:35 AM in Welcome!

Welcome to the forum.

#259731 Fly Tying Course

Posted by grubman on 26 January 2013 - 02:12 PM in Fly Fishing

3 guys/people is ideal, it was for me. We each had time to ask questions and Sheldon had time to watch each of us. He is very professional in mannerisim, skill and was very encouraging, everything you'd want and expect in an instructor.

I think you guys will really enjoy the course.

Cheers

#259528 Northland Live Forage Minnows Jigs & Spoons

Posted by grubman on 24 January 2013 - 08:24 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Those are awesome looking. I've also seen the pack of 3 small pike. Very realistic looking, I always wondered if they would catch fish. $4 for only one seems kinda steep for a plastic.

Thanks Fish for posting.

#259474 Your WoolyBugger

Posted by grubman on 24 January 2013 - 11:24 AM in Fly Fishing

I have to kindly disagree with you on this. I recently tied up a batch of buggers (as a beginner) and well it did take me some time to get the hang of it I took my time and really made sure to make them properly (I used the same procedure CC showed here).

I spent in materials for 3 colours and two packs of hooks about the same as if I had bought all the buggers I tied. The thing is I still have a lot of material left over from my original purchase. Now if you account time into the equation well... not economical at all but late night with some albums spinning in the background might as well be tying.

The initial tools/vise purchase can be done pretty cheap to get you started. No need for a 300 dollar vise for a beginner.

:D

That's awesome that you are able to do tie and still keep it economical. I suggest you start a thread of the tools you got so others that are interested can follow your lead.

My first vise from a Lebaron's kit broke 1 month after purchase.... ;) I was most likely putting way too much pressure on the handle. I tend to be rough on some of my tools, sometimes......lol.

At current approximate prices, BPS vise $20, hackle $5, chenille $5, thread $2, marabou $5, hooks $7 = $44, give or take. If the buggers are $2 each then the break even point is 22. I'm not sure what beads go for now, and I doubt one pack of chenille will tie that many buggers. I've never used mine exclusively for buggers, so I don't know how many you'd be able to get from a pack.

It's when you get into tying different flies and require more material and better tools, then the cost will rise. Just as in all mass production, quantity reduces price.

#259457 Your WoolyBugger

Posted by grubman on 24 January 2013 - 05:56 AM in Fly Fishing

Here is a good primer on fly tying.

http://www.flyangler...ying/beginners/

#259454 Your WoolyBugger

Posted by grubman on 24 January 2013 - 03:29 AM in Fly Fishing

Great fly, thanks for posting. I want to get into tying flies. just don't know where to start and how much basic start up would be. mind you i just want to tie different wooly buggers only for steelhead. 2 dollars a pop adds up. I also don't fly fish.

Did you miss my post on the fly tying course at Wilson's?.....lol. No matter, the first fly to tie in a kit's manual is the bugger. Tying your own is not cheaper. It all depends on the type of tool guy you are, like do you buy Bosch or Black and Decker. If you're a Bosch guy, tying will take alot more flies to make it economical. Not much point for B&D guys to tie their own.

#259452 Buying a boat questions!!

Posted by grubman on 24 January 2013 - 03:11 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I don't mind looking at the pics, but it's like Nick says, it's what you can't see that's the problem. The seller is not going to send you pics of rotting floor or transom, or close ups of hull repairs. Since about the early 80's boat makers discovered a method to use less resin to fibreglass boats and that is to make foam core glass hulls. You or me won't be able to tell from a pic if the foam is rotting and de-laminating. That's one of the biggest probs with new and old glass boats.

What year is the boat and who makes it? Is it on a trailer now or at a marina? Sure send me the pics, I probably won't be able to tell you much from the pics tho. I'll do what I can.

#259400 Buying a boat questions!!

Posted by grubman on 23 January 2013 - 09:38 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

OH man where ot start.
I'm guessing it's a 20 year old fiberglass boat. Have you checked the floorboards, transom, hull, keel, all water entry points......etc. What make is it? If this was an aluminum hull I'd say go for it. Glass has good and bad, most bad, when it comes to age........lol.

Do you know someone who know's boats? Take them along to inspect the gel coat and all the other items I mentioned. What engine, Hp, brand. How's the prop, you see nicks on it? How much they asking?

#259332 Northland Live Forage Minnows Jigs & Spoons

Posted by grubman on 23 January 2013 - 12:47 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I agree with you on the Mr. Twister. I've also been using "Other" Northland Tackle. Their Stinger Hooks are about the best I've found. Also Little grubs, floaters etc. work well.

I was browsing Bass Pros Tube Jigs the other day and came up with this Northland Holgraphic "Slurpies" 32 Piece Bass Tube Jigs with various hook types etc. at $14.99. So I "Catalogued" :grin: them on here. Their prices always always seem to be Very Reasonable.

Canadian Tire also carries a lot of their Tackle.

Good Fishin' Bud!!

EDIT: grubman. My Curiosity got Peaked :smile: So I found Northlands www Site, Bookmarked it and the LINK to there is HERE

If that doesn't work this should http://www.northland..._ID=1171&pc=623

It should open at the "Live Forage Minnows" Page but you can have a look around. They have a LOT of Stuff!!

ENJOY!!

Thanks Fish. The first link worked.
These are the ones I see all the time at CT. They are the best looking, most realistic plastics around, as far as I have seen. I'am curious to see how these would work on the alabama rig that I just made. Have you tried them?

#259329 Pike fishing at its finest

Posted by grubman on 23 January 2013 - 12:18 PM in Ice Fishing

Nice catches.

#259156 Northland Live Forage Minnows Jigs & Spoons

Posted by grubman on 22 January 2013 - 12:26 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Yeah they been around a long time. 20 years ago I got some at the Sportsman Show. I still find Mr. Twister better colors and action. Maybe Northland has improved, I have'nt checked them out lately. The fact that they are still around they must have good lures. Try them out let me know.

Good luck.

#258964 Which area to hit up......?

Posted by grubman on 21 January 2013 - 02:45 PM in Ice Fishing

who told you that?! cooks bay has the least amount of ice out of all the places u can fish simcoe right now!!! Cooks has about 4-6 vb and pb both have 8+ they have the hut rentals out and have had them since the beginning of the month in both places. go to caseys at port bolster or daves at vb for minnows good luck get there early to lock up a spot, perch move around all the time so theres no "good" spot go look for 20 fow and move deeper if u cant find em good luck be safe

Was told that last night. Maybe the guy had his LT on the ice posting it, now he on the bottom of the lake....lol.

#258957 Which area to hit up......?

Posted by grubman on 21 January 2013 - 02:27 PM in Ice Fishing

Esox be sure to pee a X where you get some big ones......lol.

I heard on another forum that only Cook's Bay is safe, they said they had 4 inches on Sunday. By Friday you should be good. But the main lake is not frozen yet.

Good luck and be safe!!!

#258923 Fishing Orilla hard water tomorrow

Posted by grubman on 21 January 2013 - 10:37 AM in Ice Fishing

Ice is coming back this week. That means I gotta go mark my spot, again.......lol. Oh yeah, the week is up so safe to eat perch again. My turds are probably on the bottom of the lake by now......... ;)

#258918 Great week of steelheading but sad way to end it...

Posted by grubman on 21 January 2013 - 10:24 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

The news does not report every case. It's not news worthy or this happens too often. My sister who takes the TTC only, knows when there's been a suicide on the tracks. No one ever reports that. Maybe the news does not want to give people ideas. Just look at the bridge on Bloor over the DVP. The city had to put up anti-jumper guards b/c it was so frequent. It's a sad way to go. But it happens way more then most people think. News reports murders but rarely suicides here.

#258910 Fly outfit weight

Posted by grubman on 21 January 2013 - 09:47 AM in Fly Fishing

thing is, if you don't have the power in the rod, its going to be a long drawn out fight putting more stress than nessecary on both the fish and rod, making recovery time longer on the fish

Yeah that's pretty obvious, but how can you say that if you're fishing with say a 3wt that a 15lb pike won't hit your small fly? You have no idea what's going to bite and can't select which fish hits, unless of course you decide to deliberatly break off. Like I said don't go salmon fishing with a 2wt.......lol.