racer222's Content

There have been 5 items by racer222 (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#222564 ice fishing

Posted by racer222 on 07 January 2012 - 11:06 PM in Ice Fishing

I was just out on Couchiching today and cleaned up with a big load of jumbo perch. The ice is decent and fishing was good! I went out from Airport Rd and had great luck in about 24FOW.....if that helps you at all.

best of luck,
John

#222446 First Ice Slabs

Posted by racer222 on 04 January 2012 - 10:24 PM in Ice Fishing

As for ice in the Kawarthas....I was out on Rice Lake on Monday and it had between 4 and 7 inches of ice. That was only on the west side of the lake in Bewdley, not sure of the conditions on the rest of the lake. I didn't stay out for long it was more a trip to check the ice conditions for myself, but caught a few perch only mintues after dropping in my line. I also went for a drive Saturday morning and passed over Chemong lake, I couldn't see any open water from the cosway. If any of you guys start getting into the fish on the Kawarthas, please let me/us know and in return I will do the same!

#222193 Peterborough

Posted by racer222 on 28 December 2011 - 10:39 PM in Ice Fishing

Check the local fishing message boards, do a google search.

A few of them were warning of dangerous ice conditions up until early this week. L2P's way may be ok for him. but if youre closer to 260 like me I'd wait a little longer. Ice fishing is popular up there, so once you start seeing lots of guys out on it then you will know its safe, I'm sure theyre all itching to get out on it with this delayed season and unseasonably warm weather we've had.

Thanks guys! I called BJ tackle on the east side of Rice lake today and they said that when they checked it last week, they had about 2 and half inches of okay ice. They also said that maybe with this colder weather this week that things could start happening as soon as this weekend. But I don't mind waiting another week if I have to :( My life is worth a little more then a few tasty fish. (most days)

As for the local message boards, on this site? Sorry this kind of stuff is new to me.

John

#222182 Peterborough

Posted by racer222 on 27 December 2011 - 10:52 PM in Ice Fishing

Hey guys,
I moved to Peterborough last winter and I don't really have any fishing buddies out this way. What is common practice for determining ice conditions? Do i drill a hole close to shore and then a keep moving my way out ect. ect.? In the past I have always been out later in the season with friends who knew what was going on.

I was at Sail on Monday and one of the guys working there said he had heard that people had already been out on Chemong. Anyone in the area know what kind of Ice conditions we are dealing with? I also see that we have some cooler weather coming this week and wanted to know if they saw it being safe this coming weekend for my first trip out on the ice this year?

Thanks guys,
John

#220169 Jiffyr ice auger wanted!

Posted by racer222 on 23 November 2011 - 11:07 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Hey guys,
I recently got an old Jiffy ice auger motor from a family member. The thing is, it doesn't have the auger with it. It wouldn't be a big deal.....but Jiffys turn counter clockwise to cut through the ice. So I'm on the hunt for a broken jiffy that I can buy or have the auger from.

Thank you so much to anyone that may be able to help,
John