IR4J's Content

There have been 16 items by IR4J (Search limited from 24-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#344341 Need help with baitcaster

Posted by IR4J on 17 October 2018 - 03:24 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

The reason for the spraying left and right is that the spool isnt spinning fast enough for the velocity of the weight..

I would suggest backing off the brakes and the tension until you start to backlash. you will be happier with the result if you learn to properly use the reel versus relying on the reel to do the work

#344326 Kawartha Muskie Report

Posted by IR4J on 12 October 2018 - 02:59 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Always glad to hear your reports Hank, good to see the weather didn't keep you away from the toothy ones

#344325 What line should i choose

Posted by IR4J on 12 October 2018 - 02:56 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

14-17lb mono will be the most cost effective to learn on. I would buy Sufix pro select at canadian tire... 1720yards for 9$, to be completely honest I still fish it all the time I just find I need to change it more often

#343684 Lake St. Clair Reco

Posted by IR4J on 05 June 2018 - 01:00 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Check out Handlebarz, great baits and a great guide service, theres a good chance hes booked but worth a shot

#343494 What vegetation needs to be present to support LMB?

Posted by IR4J on 25 April 2018 - 10:25 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Largemouth definitely don't need vegetation to support themselves, look at the impoundments of middle america that always seem to produce incredible fishing. 

That being said I have seen ponds like this support a largemouth population, are there baitfish of any sort? How choked out does it get in the summer (Looks like hell now)? It's definitely not as easy as just introducing them to the pond

#343420 Casting under the cn rail before opener

Posted by IR4J on 09 April 2018 - 01:39 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Have always found this rule kind of funny, it is very much a case to case scenario. Some CO's are fine with it while others (this year especially) seem to be cracking down on it.

Im personally fine with guys standing on seasonal borders and casting up (Obviously a dam would be a different scenario). Im also of the mindset that the river should be open all year to catch and release, but thats an argument for another day.

#343104 u.v. lights

Posted by IR4J on 02 February 2018 - 11:52 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Ive been using this one for 5-6 years now, no issues.... I bought it because it was cheap but when compared against say the loon uv light its have double the output

https://www.amazon.c...ywords=uv light

#342987 Got my first ice tent - tips on setting up courteously?

Posted by IR4J on 16 January 2018 - 11:17 AM in Ice Fishing

A good rule of thumb is depth in feet = distance in meters. At least thats what we have always used without any major issues

#342826 2016 Vanquish C2500HGS for sale

Posted by IR4J on 12 December 2017 - 02:35 PM in Buy/Sell/Trade

My current favourite reel, sits on my dropshot rod. 

Goodluck with the sale, I may be interested if still around in the new year

#342777 Spawning For Steelhead

Posted by IR4J on 07 December 2017 - 10:58 AM in General Fishing Discussion

80 degrees is a bit extreme. Rivers or creeks in the middle of summer months I don’t think so. Shallow lakes and ponds possible.

"could be over 80*"

#342769 Spawning For Steelhead

Posted by IR4J on 06 December 2017 - 11:55 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Steelhead are an amazing species. Several different strains are fall/winter spawners. Hatchery breeding may have something to do with fish that are spawning in fall/winter but it is more likely the hatchery is using a strain of steelhead that was a fall/winter spawner. Bc has several strains of fall/winter spawning fish. Steelhead have been adapting to our rivers over time and several differences exist between fish running rivers based on what they face in each individual river. A good example is the Credit having such an extreme gradient over the length of the river the fish that are natural production in the river are longer and leaner than East Ditch creeks. They were at one point all from the same strain but signifacnt advantages over time from individuals in each population have differentiated the populations in ways which suit the river they run. Not all Steelhead even return to the river they originate from. A small portion of the population of each river roam to run a different river. In this way they can spread to new rivers. Truly a diverse and amazing fish.

Couldnt have said it better... I will also add that the bulk of spawning activity happens with water temperature from around 40*F-58*F, and independant studies have shown the colder the water the higher chance of success. But then you look at the skamania strain of steelhead which enter creeks in the middle of summer when water temps could be over 80*... I doubt we will ever fully understand them.

#342661 More dollarama deals

Posted by IR4J on 21 November 2017 - 11:49 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

These little pom poms were several interesting shades of orange. I guess about 10mm dia.

attachicon.gif20171119_102933.jpeg

I thought I was going to get away with these being my little secret... Soak em' in some roe juice, I mean dont that wont work

#342527 Where to go for ice fishing - 3 or 4 day trip

Posted by IR4J on 01 November 2017 - 10:56 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Hey IRJ4,

He said he was looking for Lakers or Pike, or Perch. Not walleye. :cool:

Hello fishheads, It was a friendly suggestion for a fun time out with friends. Not that you would know the feeling  :cool:

#342518 Where to go for ice fishing - 3 or 4 day trip

Posted by IR4J on 31 October 2017 - 02:31 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Good conversation here for nippissing.... If walleye are your thing Id look at Quinte, I would say bang for your buck that'd be the spot Id go. 

Nonstop action youd probably want to do a muskoka/haliburton laker lake.

Just a couple thoughts 

http://www.lakesimco...showtopic=22100

#342440 November lakers

Posted by IR4J on 26 October 2017 - 11:52 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Yes, glad you checked the regs. Dec 1st-31st for lakers

#342382 Urban Fishing Student Film

Posted by IR4J on 22 October 2017 - 10:12 AM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Pump and DILLIGAF are your guys, You wont be able to PM yet but maybe they will see this and leave you with some contact information.