coldhands's Content

There have been 164 items by coldhands (Search limited from 19-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#263637 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by coldhands on 27 February 2013 - 10:47 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Cold slushy February steel.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image $$
Posted Image
Posted Image

You take some nice photos man, what kind of camera do you use? Like the bluish background one, nice cheek color

#263528 fly etiquette

Posted by coldhands on 26 February 2013 - 08:13 AM in Fly Fishing

I would consider it for what it was and we need more of- a random act of kindness, simply pay it forward someday. I often wonder if I'm transgressing some unspoken secret river codes as well so I simply try to follow the golden rule.

#263420 Advice needed-How to extend battery cable on trolling motor

Posted by coldhands on 24 February 2013 - 01:31 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

You could also go to an electrical wholesaler like Nedco and grab some welding cable either the same gauge or larger,depending how far you 're going, nice and flexible too. Check too for SOW or SOOW (looks like black extension cord) and ensure the insulation is suitable for outdoor usage.

#263339 wadders

Posted by coldhands on 23 February 2013 - 09:26 AM in Buy/Sell/Trade

looking for a pair of simms waders size small if anyone can help ther for my wife...

check on some of the other forums, CRAA or fly fishing forums, you might get lucky. I wear Bare waders had them for years, Le baron stocks some smaller sizes decent price but not Simms mind you

#263276 customized rod sock

Posted by coldhands on 22 February 2013 - 02:27 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

You know you're bored when... I developed a small rip in my rod sock/sleeve whatever you call that thingy and had an idea :idea: I took it to my local tailor and had him set me up with some velcro so I could put the rod in with the reel still on, handy for a short drive and you don't want to stick it in the tube. Check it out. Wondering also, anyone customized their tubes for the same reason and if so what did you do?

Attached Images

• IMG-20130222-00106.jpg
  • IMG-20130222-00105.jpg
  • IMG-20130222-00107.jpg

#263154 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by coldhands on 20 February 2013 - 06:50 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

winter chromium

Attached Images

• 084.jpg

#263081 symposium

Posted by coldhands on 20 February 2013 - 10:50 AM in Fly Fishing

I just received an email that the Mar. 23 symposium has been re-scheduled to November 2nd, same venue. Just thought I would pass that on for any others on the forum attending.

#263080 one that got away

Posted by coldhands on 20 February 2013 - 10:47 AM in General Fishing Discussion

x's 2.Was there a reason you couldn't go after it, in the water or on shore?

Sorry to hear that you lost it though.

River was high and fast with the rain, I was almost maxed out to the top of my waders too. By the time I got out it was almost out of sight in even faster water with no good route to chase it down. Not worth going under for $35.

#263015 one that got away

Posted by coldhands on 19 February 2013 - 08:04 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Oh darn. That's like when Tom Hanks lost Wilson in Cast Away.

Exactly, it was almost like it was smiling at me too. River was raging fast, I should have heeded it's warning. I felt like Bear Grylls for a second trying to cross, stumblebum. By the time I got out it was racing down some rapids.

#263012 February 16th

Posted by coldhands on 19 February 2013 - 07:57 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Check this out. The new photobucket gives options for stickers

Posted Image

HaHaHa love it, thanks for the laugh

#263011 one that got away

Posted by coldhands on 19 February 2013 - 07:54 PM in General Fishing Discussion

An offering for the fish gods, the river giveth and taketh away. Hope someone finds it and gets some action with the flies, half of them didn't see the water yet. Today was the test run.

#262987 one that got away

Posted by coldhands on 19 February 2013 - 05:21 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Lost my new fly box with approx 25 flies today, sure floated well I'll say that much. Water was a bit higher than I thought, stumbled a little and it floated out of my bottom vest pocket which I left unzipped. Took a desperate swipe but it was gone lickety split. Watched it speed down the river bobbing merrily on it's way. Fished with the only fly I had until that snagged and broke my tippet. Gong show

#262871 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by coldhands on 17 February 2013 - 10:06 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Sorry, not a fish. Took this last fall while I was in the river after getting the feeling I was being watched... no more than 15 feet from me

Attached Images

• 052.jpg

#262809 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by coldhands on 17 February 2013 - 02:03 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

couple more

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and a nice surprise :grin:

Posted Image

That's encouraging seeing an Atlantic, what size approximately and how was the fight?

#262807 Bass pond

Posted by coldhands on 17 February 2013 - 01:57 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

I did. And Pickerel is a common misnomer for Walleye, I grew up calling Walleye, Picks. And I still do at times, but Walleye and Pickerel are like apples and oranges. 2 different things. It doesn't really matter what country you are in. A true Pickerel is related to a Pike and Musky and has the same "duckbill" A Walleye is related to the Perch and looks like a big Perch with teeth.
All that I am trying to say is that what everyone calls a Pick is not a Pick in reality. As I said before, go to the MNR regs and look for Pickerel seasons and limits. You won't find them, you will find Walleye however.
I'm not good with computers or I would post pics. If you are catching Pickerel in Quite, I would suspect they are Walleye and if you are catching them near Sarnia then they are definitely Walleye. I'm from Sarnia and have never seen a Pick there in 40 years.
I know Walleye will continue to be called Picks, I'm only trying to put the truth out there.
When I go to a restaurant and order Pickerel Diner, I know I am getting Walleye.

Alfie.

Never figured out why people call walleye pickerel either, weird. We used to do well years ago at Waubeshene for pickerel, they're aggressive like pike for spoons & bushwhackers, pariculary yellow.

#262706 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by coldhands on 15 February 2013 - 11:55 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

It's a lil foxee alright. I've used it for ice fishing before. How well does it work for bows?

First time was a charm! It's about 3/8 ounce I believe, used it with two bb under a 4gr float on about 3' of 4lb fluoro leader.

#262704 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by coldhands on 15 February 2013 - 11:50 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

:lol: That could be anyone holding the fish! Beauty fish :cool:

True it could be anyone, could be a fake fish, could be one fish photographed a hundred times in different poses like some kind of fishing fashion model. Could be any picture gleaned from the internet. Never trust the internet. I kinda like my anonymity actually. ;-)

#262682 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by coldhands on 15 February 2013 - 09:24 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

That's great. Is that a lil foxee jig?

It's a jig, can't remember if it's a lil foxee or not. Sorry about the picture quality.

Attached Images

• IMG-20130215-000961.jpg

#262656 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by coldhands on 15 February 2013 - 11:08 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

After viewing Goodentight's recent Niagara photos the itch came back, I had to get out and scratch it. I didn't have to venture quite as far, and seeing as I only had an hour and a half before an appointment my expectations weren't high. I thought I would try a new stretch and after a slippery slide in was wading through open water. I set up the rod cast for about ten minutes then moved about 50 yards downstream where an old Chinese guy was drifting a nice wee pool. I asked if he minded me sharing the spot but he spoke no English, so I drifted just above his setup. After about ten minutes I moved below him and he offered me a smoke which I declined being a non-smoker. After another ten minutes passed I thought I better head back for my appointment. a couple more casts I thought and I'm outta here. Down goes the float and I'm into a decent fish, as a newbie my best to date. Now I'm thinking I guess I'll be late for that appointment! As I usually fish alone, here is the first picture of me actually holding a fish courtesy of the old Chinese guy, although maybe he was mad because he cut my head out of the picture. :lol:

Attached Images

• IMG-20130214-00092.jpg

#262564 Niagara Report

Posted by coldhands on 14 February 2013 - 10:18 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Nice work, was contemplating showing up but had to go to the doctor for something. Perhaps another day.

#262330 C.R.A.A meeting

Posted by coldhands on 12 February 2013 - 05:36 PM in Salmonid Conservation

I was there too. It was very educational and nice to meet goodfellas fishermen. :)

Yeah, we should have put our O.F.F. names on our nametags...

#262296 C.R.A.A meeting

Posted by coldhands on 12 February 2013 - 09:53 AM in Salmonid Conservation

Attended the meeting last night. Enjoyed a couple or three Guinness' and must say I was impressed by how intelligent and passionate both John and Louis when it comes to the fishery. I think it would be safe to say the C.R.A.A. ship is in very good hands. Nice meeting you John and hope to get out to a few events in the coming year and maybe I'll see you around Streetsville.

#262195 TO sportsmen show how much do you spend

Posted by coldhands on 11 February 2013 - 04:58 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I spent more on food(can't resist junk food once in a while) and shooting some arrows(helps support my daughters club) than I did on gear. I just bought some flies and a fly box. Fire alarm messed a few people's days up I'm sure. I always hate when I see something (like the RV9 for $299) cheaper than my purchase price so if I'm not shopping I'm not browsing.

#262193 My pin outfit!!!!

Posted by coldhands on 11 February 2013 - 04:43 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Enjoy man! Who cares what kinda reel or rod, you gotta start somewhere right? Now you just have to find some open river, it's pretty cool fighting one on a pin.

#261946 shout out sportsmen show

Posted by coldhands on 09 February 2013 - 07:22 PM in Fly Fishing

Such a proud Scot deserves a lure named after him. I was making some molting craw patterns and I was going to call this "the Oatmeal Express" but I think I'll call it "the Coldhands Special" instead haha. Cheers.

Sweet!