DitchWizard's Content

There have been 30 items by DitchWizard (Search limited from 17-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#332840 Spring Fly Patterns

Posted by DitchWizard on 27 April 2016 - 09:30 AM in Fly Fishing

Some of it is, but there are lots of rivers and lots of places to fish. I prefer to use driftboats, whitewater rafts or something like a kayak to cover water and not deal with trespassing. Lots of guys who don't know go tramping all over people land without permission, big no no in my books, we loose acsess because of it all the time. Lots of the water I fish is only wadeable a very low water if at all as well.

#332835 Spring Fly Patterns

Posted by DitchWizard on 27 April 2016 - 04:09 AM in Fly Fishing

I was talking Huron too, so many on some rivers. One time after dark there was an exposed limestone rock in the river that became completely covered in crayfish, like a 1000 on a rock 4 feet wide. $ish was twisted.

#332769 Spring Fly Patterns

Posted by DitchWizard on 25 April 2016 - 11:02 PM in Fly Fishing

Things are hatching early this yr, big stoney hatch the other day, crayfish molting right now too. If ur fishing rezis that might interest you, the single rods don't normally make it in my boat this time of year tho

#332718 Skunked on Opener? Vent here...

Posted by DitchWizard on 25 April 2016 - 09:39 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Some Huron tribs were stacked, others slow. My opener was fun floating down a river till an oar lock broke going into a set of rapids. With a few km of white water ahead of us and no way to take the boat out or go back we had a hairy ride down trying to control a 16' boat with a couple paddles. Lucky I had a buddy with me who is a pro fly guide on the river and spends a lot of time in a drift boat. Some nice steelhead and browns were taken swinging flies as well

#332471 Spring salmon run

Posted by DitchWizard on 17 April 2016 - 07:05 PM in General Fishing Discussion

There are more springers than you think, I'll catch more of them than steelhead some days....

#329399 simcoe ice

Posted by DitchWizard on 30 December 2015 - 04:04 PM in Ice Fishing

Looking a bit windy for opener too

#329172 Simcoe Lakers/Whities Migrational Pattern?

Posted by DitchWizard on 20 December 2015 - 01:10 PM in Ice Fishing

Never heard of tagging, and I believe you would have to do it with assistance from the nmr legally. As far as migration, the fish definitely move and adapt. The fishery on simcoe has changed a lot just since I started fishing it some fifteen years ago. Back then we absolutely pounded whitefish on the southeastern side of the lake where whitefish aren't targeted nearly as much now a days. The lake has changed lots since then with things like zebra mussels and gobys certainly playing a big part.

#328285 Heating stove with exhaust for ice fishing

Posted by DitchWizard on 15 November 2015 - 11:20 AM in Ice Fishing

a carbon monoxide detector can actually be pretty useless in an ice hut situation because the amount that is lethal over say a ten hour time span will not set off most detectors. Enough to kill you in an hour will however set it off. Sounds like the OP might be looking to heat a sleeper hut not a pop up. Many people use a two burner gall stove with a chimney welded on it or if its a bigger one a gas fireplace. Ventilation is still important.
Guys build a hunt camp and seal it up to tight then turn down the stove to go to sleep and they are all found tucked in nice and tight in their sleeping bags dead, is a common story from the old days.

#326360 Catching salmon on empty hook?

Posted by DitchWizard on 26 August 2015 - 09:29 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

just another immature G Bay salmon!! :razz:  attachicon.gifsalmon.jpg

oops, sorry, 1 moreattachicon.gifsalmon1.jpg

yep immature 

#326327 Boat Costs

Posted by DitchWizard on 25 August 2015 - 09:13 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Like frequentflyer said fuel is a big one. Also where and when you will be fishing, if this will be a boat for big water you will probably be looking into something that will need a full sized truck or suv to tow and launch. It will be heavy and probably a deep V in that case and take a lots of hp to get on plane. Generally you can get a shallow draft boat that will be easy to tow and easy to plane with a smaller motor or a deeper bigger boat that will run big water but heavy, hard to launch ext. There are some exceptions like a power dory that could be towed by a big car or mini van, do 30mpg with a 40hp and handle open water great lakes fishing

#326283 Catching salmon on empty hook?

Posted by DitchWizard on 25 August 2015 - 04:25 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

#326282 Catching salmon on empty hook?

Posted by DitchWizard on 25 August 2015 - 04:23 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

You did say there weren't mature. That's the part I was correcting. No doubt they are smaller.

You understood that I was getting at and are only mincing words. 

#326232 Catching salmon on empty hook?

Posted by DitchWizard on 22 August 2015 - 07:16 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Not true at all. Many mature salmon run up the Notty and Beaver for e.g. 

*jacks compared the Lake ontario salmon. yes they spawn 

#326192 Catching salmon on empty hook?

Posted by DitchWizard on 20 August 2015 - 09:00 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

I'm not saying dark salmon in creeks don't hit I'm saying the vast majority of anglers fishing are flossing or snagging. 

As far as huron salmon go they seem much different than lake O salmon, when we catch them within a few km of the lake they are often chrome fish, so much so it could have been taken in 200' of water. What is really interesting is that when we catch then incidentally 50+ km up river targeting steelhead they rarely get as dark as lake O salmon do, even the dead ones that wash up on the shore still have some silver to them. I believe that water has a lot to do with it, the lake o ditches have lethal temps and to many fish while huron tribs often have goon conditions with high o2 and low temp after a rain in september. FF also raises a good point that huron salmon are for the most part jacks and not fully mature salmon. 

#326159 Wish all Provinces Would Follow

Posted by DitchWizard on 18 August 2015 - 08:50 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I have been hearing all year about how low water has been all the way up the west coast to Alaska. California has been in bad shape now for what like 3 years? 

#326143 Catching salmon on empty hook?

Posted by DitchWizard on 18 August 2015 - 10:04 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

If you put your mind to it you could possibly take a salmon on a dry here, maybe even on a lake ontario trib because of the concentration of fish and how close you could get it to them. Lake Huron fish might be a better bet but there are not nearly as many fish but the huron fish act much more like a ocean run fish than lake ontario ones for the most part. They stay chrome much longer and the males will often willingly strike 50+ km up stream, hens rarely seem to strike that far up river. Often fish taken within a few km of the lake are dime fresh. 

If you want good salmon action on a lake O trib head to the Niagara where there is actually some water and one hell of a fight. Repeatedly crashing a presentation into the faces of a bunch of dark fish stacked up in a couple feet of water isn't nearly is fun as having a fish pound a big bag or lure in deep water imo

#326088 Catching salmon on empty hook?

Posted by DitchWizard on 16 August 2015 - 11:58 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

If you rig a hook like you would if fishing weedless but with a thick piece of mono you won't floss or foul hook any fish, but no one does that because then they wouldn't catch any fish in the creeks  :razz:

#326048 Rigging Help

Posted by DitchWizard on 14 August 2015 - 06:34 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

You could also vertically jig them, its effective with the right technique. Would be easy to mark your lure off a yak too. 

#325752 Aggrivating Fishing Expereince

Posted by DitchWizard on 27 July 2015 - 08:48 PM in General Fishing Discussion

the mnr cares most about walleye as they are the most sought after fish in ontario. Trout and salmon fall behind. If you aren't getting checked by the CO's otherwise you don't really fish, fish the wrong spots or the very best spots  ;-) I think I got check 7 times last year. Few times on the ice, few times on the boat few times on the river. Probably saw the COs around and didn't get checked another ten times. 

#325608 Residents Advice

Posted by DitchWizard on 21 July 2015 - 11:09 AM in Fly Fishing

The rivers you are fishing are garbage rezi rivers IMO. Sounds like you have the basics down maybe a location change. If you can't get into fish no reason to worry about dries really, plus lots of 5+ pound fish are taken on big chunks of boo nothing fancy I know guys who do well with chub tails. Try the grand or some huron tribs. A friend of mine is guiding on some rivers in southwestern ontario this year the rezi action has been the best in years on some waters. 3-5lb browns and bows landed on almost every outing. 

#325605 Best Place To Fish In Canada(from shore)

Posted by DitchWizard on 21 July 2015 - 10:35 AM in General Fishing Discussion

The area you live in has good fishing overall, although if you head a few hours north there is slightly less fishing pressure. I drive 11 hours to go fish a 5 or so hours north of you and it would be considered amazing by southern ontario standards but there is better fishing even further north that. If big pike and big number are what you are after you should head to somewhere like Attawapiskat 

#325361 Craigleith Park

Posted by DitchWizard on 08 July 2015 - 02:19 PM in Ontario Fishing Reports

Actually the boats I saw were probably targeting bass.You will need downriggers for the lakers and other parts of the lake might be more productive but you can fish pike and bass out from collingwood 

untitled9_zpse7d3couj.png

#325351 Craigleith Park

Posted by DitchWizard on 07 July 2015 - 11:26 PM in Ontario Fishing Reports

guys are getting lakers not really many salmon around yet from what I hear, seen a good number of boats out from Craigleith the other morning. Good luck 

#325002 Sydenham River

Posted by DitchWizard on 23 June 2015 - 10:48 PM in Ontario Fishing Reports

You can play around there with a yak but this time of year I don't know what your gunna target in that river, at least in the lower section ;)

#324987 The under rated brawlers of the shallows (channel cats)

Posted by DitchWizard on 23 June 2015 - 11:29 AM in General Fishing Discussion

If you want a hard fighting fish target carp most of them fight harder than cats and where I fish cats they are not looked down on, you can eat the big Huron ones lots of people target them.