Legend Boats's Content

There have been 10 items by Legend Boats (Search limited from 20-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#342854 Creek chub as tablefare

Posted by Legend Boats on 18 December 2017 - 01:20 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Speaking from experience, not the tastiest! :) Would not recommend haha!

Kyle Legend Boats

#342853 Spawning For Steelhead

Posted by Legend Boats on 18 December 2017 - 01:19 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Ive done some research and have red that the fish don't start spawning till at earliest February but I hear a lot of talk of fish already dropping eggs and I caught a hen today that was real lean and looks like she was a drop back in the spring  Do they drop eggs in fall? Just curious to try and educate myself more on this amazing fish.

Ive done some research and have red that the fish don't start spawning till at earliest February but I hear a lot of talk of fish already dropping eggs and I caught a hen today that was real lean and looks like she was a drop back in the spring  Do they drop eggs in fall? Just curious to try and educate myself more on this amazing fish.

Great question! Fish are an amazing creature. Steelhead even more so. While there are two ways to answer this question, I'll just leave you with a different way of looking at it; There are no rules or laws. These steelhead aren't like a human, they can't decide to the minute, hour, day or week when they'll be on their bed spawning, if there even make it there. Whatever variable you can throw into the mix, do it, there's bound to be a bunch of fish affected by it. You cannot say the steelhead will lay their eggs this month, it doesn't work like that. Instead, I suggest focusing your efforts into learning, and observing, the water temps. Steelhead thrive in water temps between 40 and 58 degrees, with the lower portion of that range slowing their metabolism, in turn, depending on the waterbody, forcing you to change up presentations. Steelhead absolutely spawn in the fall, the spring run is just much better as we're getting spring runoff from all the melting snow which allows for easier runs to their respective spawning grounds.

Please consider catch and release fishing whenever possible to help sustain our amazing fisheries.

Kyle Legend Boats

Great question! Fish are an amazing creature. Steelhead even more so. While there are two ways to answer this question, I'll just leave you with a different way of looking at it; There are no rules or laws. These steelhead aren't like a human, they can't decide to the minute, hour, day or week when they'll be on their bed spawning, if there even make it there. Whatever variable you can throw into the mix, do it, there's bound to be a bunch of fish affected by it. You cannot say the steelhead will lay their eggs this month, it doesn't work like that. Instead, I suggest focusing your efforts into learning, and observing, the water temps. Steelhead thrive in water temps between 40 and 58 degrees, with the lower portion of that range slowing their metabolism, in turn, depending on the waterbody, forcing you to change up presentations. Steelhead absolutely spawn in the fall, the spring run is just much better as we're getting spring runoff from all the melting snow which allows for easier runs to their respective spawning grounds.

Please consider catch and release fishing whenever possible to help sustain our amazing fisheries.

#340607 Advice on hand help temp probe

Posted by Legend Boats on 14 June 2017 - 11:33 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Looking to spring and open water, I would like to find a reliable hand held temperature probe to easily locate favourable depth for lakers

Any advice would be appreciated Thanks!!

As far as I know nothing exists other than cannon ball thermostats.

#340606 Flourocarbon Leaders for Big Pike/Musky

Posted by Legend Boats on 14 June 2017 - 11:32 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I'm looking into replacing the titanium leaders that I currently use with flourocarbon high strength (150#), for cost (I'm going to buy a spool and tie my own) , visibility, and the sake of the fish. What worries me is the abrasion resistance, and the longevity of the leaders themselves.

I use #30 braided line as my main line for pike/musky, planning on using a ball bearing swivel, then flouro leader (~18"), then a snap of some kind to my lure

Does anyone have any experience with flouro leaders for musky and pike? Any recommendations as far as using swivels, or snaps?

Are these things good until they start to get marks on them, or does the flouro line weaken over time due to UV, stretch, ect? I can throw on a titanium leader and use it until I lose it from a snag, or drop it off the side of my boat

Or is this just a bad move? I know i can rely on a titanium leader, but what I don't like is how it inhibits the chance of getting that chance bite from another species such as an eye or trout, and I dont like that they cost 10 bucks a pop. I can get a spool of berkly prospec 33 yds of 150# test for $70 and $20 worth of snaps ans swivels which will do me for 50 or so leaders. But I dont want to spend that cash and end up not using it, so I'm in a bit of a pickle

Thanks in advance for your help

Depends on the lake you're fishing (water clarity), time of year and how you're fishing. I love fluro, sure you have to replace the leaders every once in a while but it's much better than having a big piece of steel attached to your baits!

#340605 Hi everyone

Posted by Legend Boats on 14 June 2017 - 11:32 PM in Welcome!

I'm hoping to start my family and I fishing this year, I have some research to do 1st. My goal is to find out the best eating fish and the safest places to catch them so we can keep some. 

Troy

Impossible to answer without location.

#340604 Trout id help

Posted by Legend Boats on 14 June 2017 - 11:31 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Shape (head size relative to body etc.), colouration, spots (location, colour of spots, degree of spotting).

Which species of trout / salmon did you have it narrowed down to?

Look up brown trout (which can look similar to atlantic salmon) to learn how they look. 

Brook trout are fairly distinct as far as streams go (in lakes, can be confusion between lakers, splake, brookies).

Coho and chinook salmon, which are plentiful in Ontario, are usually back in the lake before they reach a size that anglers will catch in the streams, or so I've heard.

Not sure what a pink salmon parr looks like but they might also be back in the lake before reaching a substantial size. 

Fish identification comes with practice and time. And you can have vastly different colouration and shape within a species depending on each fish, time of year, whether it's a resident or migratory fish, etc. A silver trout or salmon in the lake or ocean will look totally different in full on spawning colours, body shape can also completely change. 

It's a small rainbow trout! Or steelhead.

#340603 Fused Superlines

Posted by Legend Boats on 14 June 2017 - 11:30 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

What is your opinion on fishing a fused superline which is designed for spinning gear? A few of them are: Suffix Performance Fuse, Berkley Nano fil, and Stren Max Cast.

Nanofil is expensive but AMAZING. It's small diameter and ultra smooth coating make casting your baits almost too easy. First time I launched a spoon with 12lb on my spinning setup I launced it 25% further than expected way up onto the bank. However the durability is not great, it frays rather quickly so it's what I use for open water casting.

#340602 How to chose a fish finder?

Posted by Legend Boats on 14 June 2017 - 11:30 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Hi everyone

New here and new to having my own gear for fishing. I've been researching fish finders and I'm getting pretty close to making a decision. Before I pull the trigger though I wanted to know if anyone had any advice on what to look for or what to avoid?

I found this infographic that was helpful for a newb like myself (parents owned the gear I've fished with for most of my life) but do you have any tips? I think I'm interested in the garmin striker 4 since it's a chirp and has gps at my price point (less then $200). Is there anything that I'm missing? I do mostly small lakes and river fishing all fresh water. Does anyone have this model? Do you have another preferred rig in this price range that I'm missing?

Appreciate the advice! Can't wait to get going for the season!

Shep

"For the price it's a great little unit! If you can save up a little more the Humminbird Helix 5 is a fantastic unit. I own a Lowrance Hook 4 and it is also a great model. Check pricing at your current dealership or retail store. Also don't forget to take a look at any "radio" stores or gps stores that specialize in these devices."

#338086 New to trout fishing, need tips

Posted by Legend Boats on 27 December 2016 - 07:36 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Trout is a great way to learn about fish behaviour and yourself. Some tips i’ve learn is to keep the sun to your back but don’t cast a shadow on the water. Trout have great sight and easily spooked. Using a longer rod will help and Fluorocarbon line with small hooks will give you the upper hand on catching the elusive trout. Start with something as simple as a 1/4oz or lighter jig head with a white twister tail tipped with a worm. Rig the worm so it looks natural and wear a pair of polarized glasses and see how the trout is reacting and adjust. Hope this helps 

#338085 New to Trout Fishing

Posted by Legend Boats on 27 December 2016 - 07:35 PM in General Fishing Discussion

What a great way to learn about water movement, fish behaviour and yourself. It takes a lot of patience but once you get the technique down you’ll have a ton of fun. If you want a place to practice, check out the Notty. it can be easily accessed just east of Angus on HWY 90. Not really wader material but great practice to reading waters. Talk to the locals, most are very open to help and share. 

Hope this helps. 

Henry - Legend Boats