Icehut's Content

There have been 48 items by Icehut (Search limited from 20-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#288007 East tomorrow

Posted by Icehut on 27 September 2013 - 11:38 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

LOL, one guy has 17 and the other guy has over fifty.... what a pile of BS. You guys kill me.

#284428 Any salmon in the huron tribs yet ?

Posted by Icehut on 10 September 2013 - 03:55 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Yup, but still mighty few and far btw.

Lost a really nice one last Fri, after ten hours casting; saw a 10 lb landed this morning.

**edited to remove location**

#283446 New trick learned

Posted by Icehut on 06 September 2013 - 07:52 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Er... so the tip is to whip your rod back and forth?

Not terribly original.

Pwn snags with braid, simply wrap it around your arm and pull until the hook bends out, presto.

#283445 Salmon Wanted

Posted by Icehut on 06 September 2013 - 07:50 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Teaching a little kid about salmon fishing, I dunno man. Perch, yeah, but salmon... it's a whole pile of casting, and if they actually hook one, yowsah. Work the piers around dawn with glow spoons. Anywhere on Lake Ontario about now you'll have a shot. But it's not a big numbers thing, I've been out about ten times and have one so far, that's a pile of driving, and thousands of casts...

#282667 salmon fishing missasauga area help

Posted by Icehut on 04 September 2013 - 12:10 PM in General Fishing Discussion

There's a good youtube video of whasisname 'pinning for chinnies in the whirlpool, #2 gamakatsu hook and a big chunk of skein, half oz of weight under a slip bobber.

It's not exactly rocket science. Right now, you're fishing off piers, mostly.

#282666 Chinny and Steelhead Fishing in Erie Tribs

Posted by Icehut on 04 September 2013 - 12:08 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Apparently Erie had tons of salmon till the ministry quit stocking, back in the 80's or so, having deemed the lake incapable of supporting them, evidence othewise.  Still plenty of bows. Huron tribs have coho and chinnies but not so great anymore... I've been skunked on maybe 20 trips in the last 2 years... all about timing. You want serious chinook, chance at a multi-fish day, to 40 pounds, Lake Ontario is where it's at.

#282103 I Love Trout, Want to Catch Some Wild Ones

Posted by Icehut on 01 September 2013 - 02:30 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

I'd strongly suggest you change your line out every season. Granpa's rod may still work just fine, but his line... not so much.

#282102 No Salmon staging off Western tribs yet

Posted by Icehut on 01 September 2013 - 02:27 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Put boat in at Credit Saturday at dawn, trolled for hours, from 40' to 300'... nada. A great deal of time and money wasted.

#279793 Chinny Dipping

Posted by Icehut on 26 August 2013 - 11:20 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Nice fish, but those photos... color is a bit off.

Is it your camera, or over-tweaking in photoshop?

#279792 What rod to use for pier salmon and river salmon??

Posted by Icehut on 26 August 2013 - 11:17 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Guy landing kings on the Barbie rod should look into joining the 20-20 club.

Land a 20" trout on a #20 fly.

#278224 Fishing off a road bridge

Posted by Icehut on 17 August 2013 - 05:03 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Canal crossings in the Mitchell's Bay area can be fished off, I think, for crappie, bass, pike.

#278223 Casting for distance: mono or braid?

Posted by Icehut on 17 August 2013 - 04:57 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Reel grease on the line itself, I'll be damned, that's a new one on me. That's a good idea, thanks!

#278222 Fraser River Closed for Salmon

Posted by Icehut on 17 August 2013 - 04:56 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

It shows to go you... we actually CAN kill every fish in the ocean, if we want to.

The wildly swinging return numbers are puzzling.

#278221 Your Pier Poison

Posted by Icehut on 17 August 2013 - 04:53 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Talk to Jocyln at anglers supply or whatever it is in Woodstock. Man knows his stuff. Dunno if he has any left, but he was selling bare glo spoons that make cleo glow's look like a joke. Five or six bucks, bare spoon.

#277735 winter steelhead

Posted by Icehut on 14 August 2013 - 05:41 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

They're few, far between, garbage-strewn, fished to death, and the best bits are owned by rich scum.

Every angler owes it to himself to get out to Van at least once.

#277734 pickering power plant

Posted by Icehut on 14 August 2013 - 05:36 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Well, is it a big ol' salmon rod... or a bangalore torpedo?

Tackle box... or satchel charge?

Guy dressed for the elements... or arab hiding behind a balaclava?

If this sounds extreme, you've obviously not been on an airplane in a number of years.

Seriously, does Harper look like somebody that appreciates a joke?

You think he's gonna shed a tear for some dead proletariat?

#277721 When fishing for salmon from shore...

Posted by Icehut on 14 August 2013 - 04:28 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Now a guy in a wheelchair, down in the blasting surf, wedged between the rocks...

That guy would be FUGGIN' HARDCORE!

The Chuck Norris of surfcasters.

Respec.

#277720 salmon out east

Posted by Icehut on 14 August 2013 - 04:23 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

It's gonna be over 2 hours each way for me, which I wouldn't mind so much if the last bit wasn't in... Toronto... sigh. Hell on wheels.

Updates on the sitch are REALLY APPRECIATED by us outta towners!

Thanks guys.

#277718 pickering power plant

Posted by Icehut on 14 August 2013 - 04:19 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Guys, think twice.

Harper does not play games... does he LOOK like a guy with a sense of humor?

There is no longer any tolerance for trespassers around any nuclear generating plant, or any other sensitive facility, in Canada.

There are CSOR snipers in place, 24/7, and these boys can reach out and touch you from well over 2,000 meters.

You'll know you've gone too far when the .50 cal round impacts centre mass.  

Then they simply disappear you, no press, no funeral.

It can really ruin a fishing trip.

#277714 When fishing for salmon from shore...

Posted by Icehut on 14 August 2013 - 04:00 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Any wheelchair access to the rocks off Montauk?

Saltwater fishing is the bomb, great lakes are a joke in comparison, thanks for those vids.

#277713 winter steelhead

Posted by Icehut on 14 August 2013 - 03:39 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

You young guys living in Southern Ontario where the rivers are warm and brown.

Do yourselves a favor.

Get out to Vancouver and see what a real river looks like.

Do it before it's too late.

#277410 Any news on that fishing pier ???

Posted by Icehut on 12 August 2013 - 04:30 PM in Toronto Harbourfront and Islands

Blame the retarded politicians, who don't ever get out of their business suits, let alone know how to work a fishing rod.

They have a spectacular resource under their very noses, yet they piss on it.

Letting people line every foot of lakefront with houses was insane, it's ridiculously difficult for somebody new to town to find access to put in a yak on a weekend.

Every lot is full... only in Toronto.

#277407 largemouth vs smallmouth

Posted by Icehut on 12 August 2013 - 04:22 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I dunno, largemouth bass are just about as boring as pike and walleye. A carp 1/4 their size would drag them all to death, tied tail to tail. And carp are way smarter too.

The whole culture of largemouth bass fishing is despicable; grown men making a living running around in metal-flake boats, grinning buffoons hoisting up their hawgs for the money shot.

Non-anglers now naturally assume all anglers are inbred, tobacco-chawin' southerners, bent on limiting out when we're not guzzling Budweisers and beating our wives.

Fishing needs to graduate from that image.

It was good fun back in the day, but it's time to move on.

#277405 So here's a question for you all

Posted by Icehut on 12 August 2013 - 04:11 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Bow fishing is just a super duper idea. So incredibly SPORTING.

A nice video of you impaling a few hundred carp and leaving them to die of asphyxiation on the bank would be great ammo for PETA, who are doing their best to ban all fishing.

Perfectly legal, so go ahead. Don't trouble yourself about whether it's moral or immoral, thinking takes effort!

Do you have any books on fishing? Look up the whole meaning and history of sport fishing.

The sporting angler respects his prey, forgoing bait, and plastic monstrosities, eventually graduating to fly fishing with small imitative flies and (reasonably) light tippets that give the fish a sporting chance.

If you just want to kill animals for no purpose, why not use poison, or dynamite, or leg traps?

I can't be sure exactly what I'd do if I caught somebody bowfishing, but at the very least I'd be getting some fresh CO2 and paintballs.

#277401 largemouth vs smallmouth

Posted by Icehut on 12 August 2013 - 03:50 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Smallmouth in a river are king. In good condition, even a 12" fish will jump a foot out of the water several times. A sixteen will make you work, he will know every log and rock. Anything bigger than that is going to be HIGHLY INTERESTING.

Note that this is with a 5 weight fly rod and 4 or 6 lb tippet, not some silly broomstick with 50 pound braid that the "sports" use down in Florida.

Largemouth are the most over-rated fish in existence.