Shawarma's Content

There have been 43 items by Shawarma (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#338922 SmartOut Ontario - android app for outdoorsmen

Posted by Shawarma on 03 March 2017 - 07:41 PM in General Fishing Discussion

^ solid advise right here. Use it. 

#337215 Long time angler looking to get into ice fishing, have a few questions

Posted by Shawarma on 18 October 2016 - 08:17 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Braid in cold weather does not work well if you aren't in a heated hut. 

I bought some cold weather mono and fluro line last season and it worked quite well. 

As for fishing for pike: tip ups and minnows will work quite well for you. I don't run tip ups because i don't want to pay for them lol. I just use my regular ice rods and put them on a rod holder. Often times i'll have one on a rod holder and another i'll jig myself to both move and stay warm and to offset some of the sitting and waiting periods. I'll also go from minnows to lures just to change some things up. 

#336921 Which Centrepin to buy

Posted by Shawarma on 06 October 2016 - 10:08 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

I started with an Amundson reel.. it was a beauty, looks wise. I fought a few fish with it and it was fine when fish was on, but the drifts weren't great. Wasn't smooth to let line out. It lasted 2 weeks in my box but i had a great deal on it and sold it for what i bought it. 

Picked up a used Islander and bought ABEC 7s for it. It didn't need them but i bought into the whole "spin it for 8 minutes!" bull poop. Don't do that. You don't need it to spin freely for 8 minutes. 

Figure out your budget, and there's a good reel in that range. 

#336896 Just a few from today

Posted by Shawarma on 05 October 2016 - 02:22 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

My issue with beads, is i have no idea which one to pick. Is there any rhyme or reason for it, or do you just cycle through them until one works? 

#336858 First Steel

Posted by Shawarma on 04 October 2016 - 03:24 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

That is a beauty too!! Congrats. 

#336523 Fly Tying Kit

Posted by Shawarma on 22 September 2016 - 10:54 AM in Fly Tying

I lucked out and got a renzetti traveler from another tier for free. He wanted to pass it on to a new tyer.. and there i was. 

I'd also suggest going down the proper vice route:

- renzetti traveller

- Peak

- moongoose

Ebay is a good source for scissors, bodkins, etc. 

These i've found work amazingly well as hackle pliers and so cheap: http://www.ebay.ca/s...872.m2749.l2658

#336522 Fly Tying Photo Thread

Posted by Shawarma on 22 September 2016 - 10:32 AM in Fly Tying

Nothing fancy but these just keep taking fish so I just keep tying them. I'm still struggling with getting the hackle to lay back how I want. attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The hackle stem might be getting too twisted when you're palmering it. It'll happen regardless though. It's more aesthetic than anything unless it's the last two wraps by the hook eye. 

#336459 First Atlantic Salmon!

Posted by Shawarma on 20 September 2016 - 08:51 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

what a beauty! 

#336390 Brothers Enjoying Creek Life

Posted by Shawarma on 17 September 2016 - 09:20 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

That coho with your the younger of the two is almost bigger than he is! so awesome. 

You done good, big. 

I have 3 boys and hope they share in similar memories as well. 

#336060 What a Day

Posted by Shawarma on 11 September 2016 - 10:40 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

That's incredible. Well done!!

I gotta stop playing weatherman and start playing fisherman. 

#335863 Fly Tying Photo Thread

Posted by Shawarma on 01 September 2016 - 05:44 PM in Fly Tying

325 flies in such a short time.. well done! They're looking pretty darn good. 

#335124 Fly Tying Advice

Posted by Shawarma on 08 August 2016 - 08:51 PM in Fly Tying

"start tying our own so we can try and keep costs down" .. LOL. oh man. Has anyone ever saved money by taking up fly tying? :P 

Good luck with the hobby! It's a fun activity with the boys regardless of cost :)

#334345 Made these today

Posted by Shawarma on 11 July 2016 - 11:56 AM in Fly Tying

nice!! i want to do something like this, only with deer antlers

I've seen one that Kelly Galloup uses and it looks amazing!

#334151 A photographer friend came along on a fishing trip

Posted by Shawarma on 30 June 2016 - 07:34 PM in General Fishing Discussion

That first shot is money!

#333974 Salmon in the river already......

Posted by Shawarma on 20 June 2016 - 10:59 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

What a beauty!

#333885 where to buy smaller wooly buggers in Toronto?

Posted by Shawarma on 13 June 2016 - 10:17 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Same here Dilli. Smallest is size 12 for me too.

#333882 where to buy smaller wooly buggers in Toronto?

Posted by Shawarma on 13 June 2016 - 09:38 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

this is an interesting request.. i'm going to tie up a couple of size 16s just to see how much of a pain in the ass they are to tie at that size lol. 

wantbrowns, where are you located? If the ties i attempt aren't bad you're more than happy to take 'em - depending where you're hailing from anyway. 

#333736 Gar and Redhorse

Posted by Shawarma on 01 June 2016 - 04:25 PM in Ontario Fishing Reports

This is a species (long nose) I'd like to cross off the list this year.

Thanks for the report and the extra info!

#333735 WHAT DID YOU BUY TODAY? FISHING PURCHASES

Posted by Shawarma on 01 June 2016 - 04:21 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Had my usage reversed. Thanks for clearing that up!

#333729 WHAT DID YOU BUY TODAY? FISHING PURCHASES

Posted by Shawarma on 01 June 2016 - 02:00 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Having the SizeX figured out, the question now is, nylon or fluoro? 

Nylon for nymphing?

Fluoro for dry? 

#333496 What is this fly?

Posted by Shawarma on 17 May 2016 - 05:44 PM in Fly Tying

I would agree with the Hendrickson suggestion. Very standard fly pattern used right now.

#333187 April Vokey Podcasts

Posted by Shawarma on 06 May 2016 - 04:57 PM in General Fishing Discussion

You're just perpetuating the main issue of her not being taken seriously because she's a woman fishing and saying she needs to be in a bikini to attract viewers is stupid to say the least. It was a quality show that this shyte industry isn't ready for. It's all marketing nonsense to stupid anglers.

Your sense of humour is an interesting one.

#333038 April Vokey Podcasts

Posted by Shawarma on 01 May 2016 - 06:29 PM in General Fishing Discussion

tossing, what's "xxxx" stand for? just so i'm sure i don't repeat it as well haha

#332759 Skunked on Opener? Vent here...

Posted by Shawarma on 25 April 2016 - 06:58 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Chrome bullets, that picture of all those fish looks like a pretty dreamy situation and it was well earned!

#332672 STEELHEAD OPENER 2016

Posted by Shawarma on 23 April 2016 - 11:59 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Ya man I'm down for Thursday. Gonna hit the credit on Friday or try and find some resi's on the grand.