Jan's Content

There have been 32 items by Jan (Search limited from 19-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#298269 Lead free fishing

Posted by Jan on 30 December 2013 - 09:21 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Got this from another forum really good

Tungsten dust can be toxic if inhaled long term, but few of us will ever see such exposure......... and highly unlikely from the currently available sinker products.

Problem with tungsten is the WOW cost......... it's way over the top.

Here's a few links I quickly gathered in this subjects regard (no recommendations - just sharing info....):

http://www.rockybrooksinkers.com/

http://www.ecofervor...st...B007304CX6

http://www.greentack...du...ategory/5/

http://www.oemstone.com/

http://www.ehow.com/...si...rocks.html

BTW - diamond bits can be purchased in quantity at reasonable prices online through the likes of EBay, etc.............

If you do try this project - buy more than a few spare bits - they can snap easily and do get dull ........

Cheers,

#298264 OFF Newb

Posted by Jan on 30 December 2013 - 07:43 PM in Welcome!

Welcome... almost every second day out on the water that sounds like paradise!

#298223 Lead free fishing

Posted by Jan on 30 December 2013 - 12:07 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Might not get solved by water but guaranteed ground up and end up in the food chain.

There is no single argument that will convince me that it is ok to use toxic substances like lead. There is no other way for me then finding a better solution... will keep you guys updated as soon as I found something that works.

#298192 get a line to float what greae do you use?

Posted by Jan on 29 December 2013 - 05:08 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Just wondering what you guys would recommend for greasing a braided 29 pound fishing line. Is there any household item (Crisco?) that you could recommend?

thx

#298163 DIY pike drifter float

Posted by Jan on 29 December 2013 - 12:00 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Worth a try! Just wondering how lonf the ping pong ball would last and how easy water might get in there? HAve you usedthe described set up?

#298162 Map with water depths for GTA

Posted by Jan on 28 December 2013 - 11:55 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Just wondering if anyone would be so generous sharing those or know a source for those kinda maps without having to pay(much)?

THX

#298159 Lead free fishing

Posted by Jan on 28 December 2013 - 11:43 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Hi guys,

just wandering are the fishing weights now a days really made out of the heavy metal lead (Pb). Never ever or? that toxic stuff that causes birth defects as well as brain and nerve damage?

Anyways was wondering if you guys know of any alternatives to the store bought weights? Just looking for a niffty DIY solution.

THX

#298157 DIY pike drifter float

Posted by Jan on 28 December 2013 - 11:35 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Hi guys,

was fishing for pike the last little while and after I started making my own casting spoons, I am really getting into trying to make what ever imaginable myself. SO drifter float for pike? Anybody made those or maybe a carp float with a sail for visibility. Your expert advice would be appreciated.

After searching the internet for first tries I would give it a go to just stick a kebab stick through a cheap red/white ball float, 1 or 2 poker cards, paperclip, nailpolish (what kind a grease do you use for your line) and give you an update once tested. Once I know how to use it and know what I want, I probably would upgrade the materials to 1'' balsa dowel and maybe a spinner wire or so.

got your 2 cents, drop em here     thx

#296349 Where to get bait fish in Toronto

Posted by Jan on 01 December 2013 - 12:17 PM in General Fishing Discussion

THX guys

#296106 Where to get bait fish in Toronto

Posted by Jan on 28 November 2013 - 06:04 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Hi guys,

just wondering what kind of bait fish you would use for Pike and where to get them in Toronto?

THX

#295910 Catch and release guys rave a read !!

Posted by Jan on 26 November 2013 - 09:51 PM in General Fishing Discussion

BS or not the future lies with in our hands and anything to improve the chances of survival for our beloved finned friends is welcome by me

#295879 OFF Ice Outing

Posted by Jan on 26 November 2013 - 03:54 PM in Ice Fishing

No clue about ice fising but sounds like great fun!

Any chance one of you guys could help me out with some gear? Would greatly appreciate it if I could first try it out before investing in gear.

Thx

#293868 Is that a Salmon?

Posted by Jan on 09 November 2013 - 03:07 PM in Ontario Fishing Reports

thx, would know how to tell if its a male or a female?

#293864 Is that a Salmon?

Posted by Jan on 09 November 2013 - 03:01 PM in Ontario Fishing Reports

Hi guys,

was on Wednesday in the morning hours at my favourite Toronto spot and thought I share a couple pics with you.

Enjoy

Attached Images

• IMG_3953.JPG
  • IMG_3959.JPG

#293097 Hi friends

Posted by Jan on 02 November 2013 - 10:09 AM in Welcome!

Thursday?

#293033 Hi friends

Posted by Jan on 01 November 2013 - 06:29 PM in Welcome!

sounds good!

this sunday?

I would be happy to take the first ferry in the morning but don't really care what time.

#292924 Hi friends

Posted by Jan on 31 October 2013 - 08:22 PM in Welcome!

Oh, sorry to highjack your thread Jan. I'm new to OFF as well and live downtown west. We can hook up sometime. Get it? Hahaha.........yup.

It's already one of those days. :blink:

AHHHHH what a Halloween treat to get so much action on my thread!!! No worries about the highjacking. I am hooked thats for sure. Give me a shout when you are heading to the water.

Was today again at the spot in the west end and didn't catch anything :cool:  haha but thats cool, thought the high temperatures would get a few pike to look out for some goodies especially since there was a beautiful border between clean lake water and the dark soup from the creek ahh well no fish but learned a few things and met a super nice guy who actually broke his rod yesterday :???:  at exactly that spot but today he was back to try it again, thats what I call a real fisherman. Good fishing and a Happy Halloween everybody :evil:

#292695 Hi friends

Posted by Jan on 29 October 2013 - 08:29 PM in Welcome!

All the time we spend driving there we could be fishing!!!

#292451 I wanna throw this

Posted by Jan on 27 October 2013 - 11:14 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Hilarious, give the man a net!

#292445 Fall Pike

Posted by Jan on 27 October 2013 - 10:51 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Try out the Humber Bay Park West, Toronto, ON, Canada, Planet Earth, Milky way Galaxy, somewhere in this Universe or so

was recently there, it's just beside the marina and boy I saw something chasing something on the surface couple times, that was during those last warm weather days but since it seems relatively deep there I would give it a try even with the temperatures at the moment, but take this whit a grain of salt since I am a bloody beginner... would be happy to hear how it goes

#292390 Good fishing gear stores in the west end of Toronto???

Posted by Jan on 27 October 2013 - 04:58 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it!!

#292386 Hi friends

Posted by Jan on 27 October 2013 - 04:42 PM in Welcome!

OK so we got the first location!

got time on thursday?

#292385 Every little bit helps. W.I.T.O.-walk in trash out

Posted by Jan on 27 October 2013 - 04:39 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Nice to find a few people with a heart and a brain in this forum. THANKS!!! for cleaning BUDDIES THANKS!!! again from mother nature

#292273 Hi friends

Posted by Jan on 25 October 2013 - 09:29 PM in Welcome!

do i hear a pike outing ? lol. Welcome jan !

THX

#292272 Hi friends

Posted by Jan on 25 October 2013 - 09:29 PM in Welcome!

Welcome Jan. Looks like I was too slow on the hook set for the questions. :D

Just throw out your lure again. I have to do that all the time.