TheTallOutdoorsman's Content

There have been 185 items by TheTallOutdoorsman (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#342952 New guy

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 11 January 2018 - 08:58 AM in Welcome!

Lol, If you really want to know, you can tie flies for icefishing too, just a matter of what your targeting and where!

I personally like using small flies as droppers to spoons (spoons make a lot of attention to get them near, flies are the fishes bait of choice)

As I mentioned, Buy things that work in the worst of the winter cold, That way you can use it in the summer too and carry on your addiction to all the other types of fishing!

If you are looking at purchasing something specific, I am confident if you ask the people on this forum they will be more than happy to offer you their advice/reviews!

#342948 New guy

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 10 January 2018 - 09:46 AM in Welcome!

Welcome to the forum! Similar to what Pump says, you dont need much to start with panfishing.

I would suggest a 28-32" Length rod (Light action so it can be used for perch if you want to target something more than panfish)

I recommend using 6lb line (ice line) as its universal for almost all species of fish.

Although Pump suggests a 500 size reel, I find the 1000 to be perfect - allows for some more line if you choose to fish in deeper waters (lakers/whitefish).

A 1000 Size reel will give you more flexibility and allow you to use your reel in the summer time if you choose to go for any ultra light fishing (perch/panfish/bass/etc).

One thing to note for fishing reels is that not all are "ideal" for winter use. Some reels freeze up easier than others and depending on if it uses lube or grease the performance may be effected.

#342938 First time in many years.

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 09 January 2018 - 04:39 PM in General Fishing Discussion

The Wife might finally watch with me

Lets hope its not the same "bikini" from borat and trying to sight fish! (bending over)

#342937 Winter Pike

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 09 January 2018 - 04:38 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Nice job Pump! 

#342934 First time in many years.

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 08 January 2018 - 08:44 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Ice fishing with a bikini and water wings, might give you a nice ratings boost for the Youtube channel!

#342927 Winter Pike

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 05 January 2018 - 09:00 AM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Well done Pump! You definitely know how to find the gators!

#342842 Buying A Boat - How Effective

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 14 December 2017 - 08:40 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Sometimes its also good to just invest in a good pair of waders!

#342836 Ah Ice Shelves

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 13 December 2017 - 08:02 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

I'm just teasing! We all know you catch fish! But we also know fishermen like to stretch the truth ;-)

#342833 Ah Ice Shelves

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 12 December 2017 - 05:37 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Good job big!

Too bad we couldn't see a picture.... I guess we will just have to take your word for it!

#342819 Ice fishing - GET PUMPED UP!

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 11 December 2017 - 08:13 AM in Ice Fishing

I cant wait for the ice to be safe! I better start pulling out the winter gear while its moderately warm outside!

#342790 Hi there

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 08 December 2017 - 05:33 PM in Welcome!

Welcome to the forums! For how long have you been collecting/acquiring fishing items?

#342727 Hi New to Steelheading and the Forum

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 30 November 2017 - 08:09 AM in Welcome!

Welcome to the forums and goodluck in your pursuit of chrome!

#342716 Poaching

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 28 November 2017 - 08:45 AM in General Fishing Discussion

I have spoken to enough MNR officers first hand that I have made it a habit to ask them for a business card - Yes, you can do that.

That gives me an advantage because some people genuinely care about improving the fisheries and sustaining it long term, vs the selfish angler who thinks he knows best.

Speaking with the MInistry officer, calling in an incident is just a "report". They may document it for future purposes (places to check in the future) but very unlikely anything will be done about it at the time of the call. This is mostly because there are so few officers covering such a large area, if they are not in the surrounding area it may be hours before they can actually go to the spot of this "incident", in which case most time the person would have already finished fishing.

I completely agree with how you handled the situation Bigugly, (picture of the culprit, his lisence plate and vehicle). I dont have an email for the MNR but I am sure if you called and asked, you can find out what it is, they may ask for the address of where the incident was (specifically) and if they happen to be in the area, they will see the same vehicle and search for the culprit. (Obviously this is an ideal extreme, but it has happened in previous incidents)

Moral of the story, speak with the MNR officers, they are your friends and if you get along well enough, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get their mobile numbers! Also makes it easier if you are sending them pictures/reporting incidents because you know it will be taken care of accordingly.

#342676 Hello!

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 22 November 2017 - 09:04 AM in Welcome!

Hello and welcome to the forums!

#342659 First Trout Through The Ice This Season!!!!!

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 21 November 2017 - 08:09 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Nice Fish! What flies do you use for trout through the ice or is there better "baits/lures" to be using?

#342655 Fly tying supplies

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 20 November 2017 - 02:16 PM in Buy/Sell/Trade

Hello Bird! I'm interested, any pictures?

#342593 Fly Tying Advice

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 09 November 2017 - 08:53 AM in Fly Tying

go to reelflies.ca he has a great website with tons of different patterns to look at. for buggers and leechs I use #4 to !0 hooks, a general nymph size is from 8 to 16 although I only go to 14s and 16s in gin or pressured conditions. I tie stones as big as #4 and down to 14 with 6 to 10 been most used. look into tying on jig hooks as they floatfish very well. Also you don't need to break the bank on a vise but a rotary vise can make spinning bodies and hackle much quicker and easier.

Pm me if you guys need some more info, ive been tying for 30yrs and know a bit about it.

Darrin

Mr Darrin,

You said you have been doing this for a while, and I'm surprised the topic hasn't come up yet. But, if you don't mind me asking, what are some "cheaper" (or best value) places to buy fly tying materials?

Regards,

#342579 Fall Fishing Southern Ontario

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 06 November 2017 - 08:45 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Sounds like your doing something right! Lol

#342575 Tackle Box: opinions on Plano

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 06 November 2017 - 10:01 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

If you own your own boat and leave tackle in it (trays, accessories, etc) its a good investment to get a waterproof Plano Tote similar to these;

https://www.cabelas....n-storage-trunk

They are currently not on sale, but for the size and price its not a bad deal! (always shop around, may be cheaper elsewhere!) I purchased mine at Walmart for $22 Regular price.

This way you know your gear is protected from the environment and you have the option to lock up your boxes if leaving your boat somewhere.

#342551 Fall Fishing Southern Ontario

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 03 November 2017 - 07:57 AM in General Fishing Discussion

chill out. Its impossible because you said it wrong. It should be said 3 for 9. lol....whatever man

Unless he means 9 for 12?

#342529 Where to go for ice fishing - 3 or 4 day trip

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 01 November 2017 - 11:51 AM in General Fishing Discussion

The issue with planning an ice trip so far in advance is there are too many variables.

1) Ice conditions are unknown

2) Fishing may be "better on the other side of the lake"

3) Snow conditions

I would follow the ice fishing forums closely and see what the most current ice conditions are before making any bookings or plans (once you establish a target species)

Safest bets are Perch and Pike as they are in the same area and usually these areas are first to have safe"r" ice.

You can contact local hut operators to where you are going and see what the ice conditions are or when they are putting their huts out (or if they are out already depending on when your calling)

My $0.02.... or is it $0.05 now that the penny is discontinued?

#342524 Tackle Box: opinions on Plano

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 01 November 2017 - 07:35 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Glad I can help!

Looking at the dimensions this does look like a huge bag! 

#342515 Zombie bait anyone...

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 31 October 2017 - 08:18 AM in General Fishing Discussion

What happens if you break off........

LOL looks like its worth alot... Im guessing its similar to one of those in line fishing video cameras, its your loss!

#342514 New here

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 31 October 2017 - 07:57 AM in Welcome!

Welcome to OFF! What do you typically target while fly fishing?

#342473 CBC: Immoral Salmon Milking... what do you think?

Posted by TheTallOutdoorsman on 27 October 2017 - 02:17 PM in Ontario Fishing News, Current Events and Publications

Not to mention all the tickets handed out for illegal activities involving fishing! (snagging, limits, fishing seasons, etc)