ApacheFishingVentures's Content

There have been 75 items by ApacheFishingVentures (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#339753 High water Steelhead opener

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 21 April 2017 - 11:44 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Oh and 4lbs test :)

#339752 High water Steelhead opener

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 21 April 2017 - 11:43 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Definitely gonna rock a single 6mm white bead or some #26 midges. Wish me luck

#339708 Steelhead on 6-weight?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 19 April 2017 - 07:14 AM in General Fishing Discussion

lol freaking atoadaso.

No one is saying it's impossible by any means, we're all just saying the original poster might be better off getting a heavier rod as a beginner steelheader. But i'm all for being frugal. In fact i'm one the cheapest guys you'll ever meet haha I just think if money is an issue, maybe one who hasnt felt the raw power of a steelhead yet would be better off with a heavier rod. If he breaks his 6 wt then not only does he not have a rod but then he still needs to buy another one. An 8 weight is one of the most useful rods you can have for freshwater and like DILLIGAF said, more than enough for steelhead.An echo ion rod paired with an echo ion reel will be more than ideal for the job and shouldnt cost any more than 300 all said and done.

#339700 Steelhead on 6-weight?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 18 April 2017 - 02:21 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I'm with swing4steel here, 6wt is plenty unless you are on bigger and faster water. 

I agree that a 6 might be enough for small water with room for the fish to run but what about in an area prone to snags? The original post said he would be fishing snaggy water and If a brute starts to take you into some deadfall, how will you turn it's head to prevent losing that fish to the oh so present trees all over spring creeks? Just an honest concern for the OP, that's all. Don't wanna hear of buddy losing his biggest fish because he couldn't keep it out of the cabbage.

#339699 What is Your Favourite Lure for Crappie?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 18 April 2017 - 01:23 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I don't target a whole lot of open water crappie but when i do, small minnows or zoom minnow imitations are a go to or any small fry imitation under an inch for those finicky fish, but when it come to hardwater, tiny plastics of assorted sizes and colours tipped with waxies for average ones and teardrop spoon and jigging rap for the slabs if im not running live minnows. I got no shame running live bait in the winter ahaha

#339697 Steelhead on 6-weight?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 18 April 2017 - 12:22 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Same reason musky fisherman don't use bass gear even though most musky could be landed on a 7' Med-heavy. These fish (steelhead) get huge and we know that, so it's not worth the risk of breaking your rod or hurting the fish

#339696 Steelhead on 6-weight?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 18 April 2017 - 12:20 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Like symmetre said, sure it's doable, just not advisable for the sake of the fish.

#339692 Steelhead on 6-weight?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 18 April 2017 - 07:45 AM in General Fishing Discussion

I hooked a bigger fish in the niagara whirlpool on my 6wt 9ft, and had absolutely no chance! It was waaay too much fish for the rod. I'd def say a 8wt is a better choice....

lol i'd almost be more inclined to say it was waaaay to much WATER haha once the fish is in there, even a shaker will be gone in a heartbeat on a 6wt. A 8wt would be ideal for the niagara, especially if you go with a 11'6 switch for better mending ability and bombing lasers into that faaaaaar eddy

#339678 Steelhead on 6-weight?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 17 April 2017 - 12:56 PM in General Fishing Discussion

A surprising amount of people saying go for it in a forum that generally preaches conservation... I would most definitely not use a 6wt if you're actually after steelhead. The reality is this: Playing a fish on a 6 wt in any warm weather like we've been having this spring is just asking for trouble and trout opener on almost every southern ontario river is chaotic and if there is any time you want a heavy rod to turn fish around in an instant to avoid getting tangled with another angler, it's then. An 8 wt is overkill for most situations but if you have one, I certainly would consider using it until the crowds die down a bit. However if you're looking to purchase a single hand steelhead rod, go for  a 10' 7wt. Ideal for any steelhead applications in southern ontario. A six will certainly land shakers with ease but lets face it, a little shaker is not what were hoping for when that line starts slipping through your hands. I would personally leave the 6wt at home for steel.

#339414 Crappie question

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 04 April 2017 - 08:19 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Hye everywone, i heard lots about crappie fishing in south and am curious to know what time of year they run and if theres any specific fishing gear to use or the usuall bobber/worm does the trick?

Crappie will be found in almost any small lake or pond or any river with some depth to it. Do exactly as Salmo says however on days this is not working or if you prefer bait fishing, a small live minnow under a float will almost guarantee a crappie as that is what they are feeding on in the spring

#339413 A good site to buy flies on line?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 04 April 2017 - 07:57 AM in Fly Fishing

Can't speak for quality of these flies as I also tie my own and have never used them but theres a local fella named Matt who owns Kypefish Quality beads and flies and from the looks of it, he bangs out some pretty nice ties. Check them out

http://www.kypefish.com/

Other than that, your local sail should have some commercial patterns to get you by and if you're near waterdown, there's a store called Grindstone Angling... I guess they got stuff if you're willing to walk away short an arm or a leg. Or be talked down to by the owner... Can't say I have ever wanted to go back actually.   I usually pick up a couple interesting looking flies at sail to try when grabbing materials.

If you have instagram, that is a great way to find tiers from all over the place and many guys sell their flies on instagram.

Good Luck and let me know what patterns you're looking for, ill see what i can help with.

#339307 Tips on spring steel

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 29 March 2017 - 08:52 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Any fishing of Salmoniod species seems to be a learning curve for beginners. Unless you have someone very knowledgeable to teach you most of us start out as kids or teens stomping around on rivers, probably damaging reds and spooking fish. I have seen a lot of people progress from sight fishermen to fishermen who target fresh fish they can't see. Some people never progress past sight fishing and some just don't care and keep ripping fish off the beds. Ripping fish off beds is like shooting a Wild Turkey while it is still roosting in a tree, while not illegal it is un sporting and somewhat unethical depending on your ethical mind set. I do target fish in gin clear water I can see at times. A Steelhead In the fall in a gin clear pool five feet or more can be spotted, I would fish then. Steelhead in gin clear water over a gravel flat I would not fish for. These fish are in the "process" of spawning. Steelhead make several reds when they spawn not just one. A fish or several fish do sit in shallow water over gravel often with males chasing a single female. These fish may have been Redding just before you have shown up or just about to redd. Either way I find this unethical to fish for these fish in my own set of ethics but that is where my fishing has evolved to over the last 35 years of Steelhead fishing. The real question is where as a fisherman/woman do you want to evolve to in your fishing endeavours? Do you want to become a meat hunter then fine the law is on your side but many catch and release fishermen are not. Do you want to only fish artificials or fly fish only? Do you want to chuck hardware at the piers only when the fish are at their prime and nowhere near spawning? Etc.

I personally prefer to use many different methods and types of rods to enjoy all aspects of Steelheading. I keep a few fish a year for food and never strip fish for roe. I also don't stomp on reds or fish fish off gravel flats no matter what I think they are doing. I use artificials and live bait where it's permitted. I find my Ethics to be practical and reasonable as we all fine our own ethics to be. That being said I have been yelled at and frowned upon for keeping a fish for the table and called names for using live bait by others on formus like this one.

Amazing how we as people see our way as the only way even though we probably all evolved from some sort of less knowledgeable and less ethical angler. I prefer not to preach ethical standards that I have made for myself but preach education and science of fish behaviours and needs with environmental respect. I hope by doing this other will raise their awareness and possibly their ethical mind set. That mind set may never align with mine but better ethics is better indeed no matter if they are the same as mine or not.

Absolutely could not have said that any better. Thank you

#339289 Ideas for Trout on lakes this spring

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 28 March 2017 - 07:30 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Thanks for that info, I found the website and interactive map for Lake Stocking in Ontario. What a great tool. Searching for an appropriate lake with boat access. 

No problem at all Davey! That's what were all here for, Good luck!

#339270 Ideas for Trout on lakes this spring

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 27 March 2017 - 08:05 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Welcome to OFF! If quantity and the potential for a nice little brookie feast is what you're after, I would check out the Ontario stocking lists for 2016 and look for lakes in the Muskokas, Algonquin highlands or Kawarthas that have been stocked with a couple thousand brook trout in the 15-20cm size range. Off the top of my head I can think of the east Jennie lakes and Clayton lake in the Algonquin highlands just past Dorset. Stocked with brookies every other year, this will be the kind of lake to produce a nice little trout trip. Generally easy water to read and fairly simple trout tactics to catch them: (Ie. Spinners, small spoons, float and worm, dry flies, nypmhs, minnow imitating streamers and or soft plastics). Ps. Not so sure you can get a boat in the lakes i mentioned so definitely do some research for boat accessible stocked lakes. If it it lakers you are looking for, there are small lakes in he Muskokas and Kawarthas with lakers and splake that would more than likely be in the shallows to cast to this time of year. Best of luck! Let us know how you make out.

#339269 Bottom bouncing vs. Spoons vs. Float fishing for steel

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 27 March 2017 - 07:34 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Pencil lead to avoid snags is deadly on that rig.

I second that

#339231 How to zero in on BIG steelhead while float fishing?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 24 March 2017 - 04:01 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Not a big fan of indicator too. I love high sticking for big steelhead. If it's gin clear water. I just use a single leech patter fly (black or olive) 10'6" 8wt...post spawn seems to love leech patterns or woolies. It's fun when they start chasing them on the twitch.

Funny you say that, my profile picture is of my first steelhead i caught last spring stripping a black leech through a gin clear pool in a very small stream and i literally watched him look at it for a few seconds from the undercut bank and then BAM! Short fight but way cool watching them smoke a moving streamer.

#339228 Intro and way to earn Free Fishing gear!

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 24 March 2017 - 11:52 AM in Welcome!

Ahh this shits just getting annoying now. It's all over instagram and Facebook as well.

Amen to that

#339227 How to zero in on BIG steelhead while float fishing?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 24 March 2017 - 11:50 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Thanks guys,

I just up size or down size as I go. From flies to eggs , roe and plastics you should carry all sizes. I have caught some pretty big Bows and Salmon on some small presentations , some days it just doesn't matter what you through at them. Here's a tip on clear water and shy fish, try and float some small spoons. A friend of mine made me a believer last year on a east trib . This weekend looks high and dirty , good luck anyhow.

I generally carry beads from 6-10mm and nymphs down to a #22 and upsize and downsize according to conditions and i have definitely hooked into big fish on small presentations so I know big fish will hit tiny flies and beads but i guess im wondering if theres a way to wean out the little guys. I have a buddy who will try running anything under a float and he actually caught a salmon floating a black fury haha and ya high and dirty is what it's looking like. Maybe i will just throw big streamers and jigging spoons under my float. Thanks!

Under a float....tandem... beads...or bead+pink worm. I have used bead + woolies in the past it has worked great in the past but not this year so i abandoned the idea. Under indicator when I do some flies....2 nymphs...that could work on pinning to i guess.

In deep water i'm generally running 2 beads (10mm up top and 8mm on bottom) of different colors to see if they are hitting one or the other and i have thrown a pink work under beads before but i wasn't sure if that was too funky of a presentation, but i guess not. Bead and woolies would make sense! More or less an egg sucking leech trying to chase an egg lol and in big water if i do nymph, ill just use the pin as im not a huge indicator fan. When i nymph fish creeks, i use a 10' 7wt and just high stick it. But i appreciate all the help! i'll try some weird stuff this weekend i think lol you never know.

#339223 How to zero in on BIG steelhead while float fishing?

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 24 March 2017 - 07:16 AM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Gonna be hitting a big river this weekend where i'll have more options than just running a bead or small jig a foot below my float so i'm just wondering what everyone's preferred method for targeting bigger steelhead on the float rod is. Up size? Downsize? live bait or artificial? Is colour a factor for these bigger fish? is depth relevant when you're fishing in 30 feet of water? Or are you just fishing a normal rig and just hoping a big one hits? I've hooked into a few tanks using minnows and minnow imitations but i've thought about tying hollow body pike style flies on a shank with a trailer hook like an intruder but in a 6-8" profile and running that under a float or on the spey rod but im thinking i'll be float fishing more this weekend. I don't know, kinda just thinking out loud here. Let me all know what your go to is for these tanks!

#339222 Greetings and Intro

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 24 March 2017 - 06:41 AM in Welcome!

To add to what Huron said, the grand river can also be very productive at times for swinging flies in the spring and fall. Very large river however with very little holding water in the lower section so timing is key. All kinds of good swinging water below Caledonia. 

#339213 The Ultimate Photo Thread

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 23 March 2017 - 03:57 PM in Steelhead and Salmon Fishing

Saunt this on instagram but i'm gonna appreciate again cause I love giant rainbow tails. Beautiful fish Pump.

#339208 Hi there everybody.

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 23 March 2017 - 08:51 AM in Welcome!

To add to what Pump and Huron are saying, a good way to gauge when they are here in full numbers is to go to the piers at mouths of rivers and cast spoons to see if fish are staging in big numbers yet. The more fish at the mouth, the closer we are to having them all in the creeks.

#339207 Greetings and Intro

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 23 March 2017 - 08:47 AM in Welcome!

Welcome to the forum and to the area! Happy to see more people swinging spey rods in Ontario waters! Like pump said, the steel will be in full run pretty soon and your chances of landing a few are fairly good! It's a timing thing with these fish but it seems you're on the right track and are well aware of how to target these fish so i'll let you be! lol  Drop me a message if ever you're in the Hamilton/Niagara area and would like to fish.

#339176 Intro and way to earn Free Fishing gear!

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 22 March 2017 - 07:09 AM in Welcome!

No thanks.The instagram hero pictures are getting out of hand and NPS is part of the problem. I'm all for saving a buck and trying new product, but with these kinds of programs, you end up being a sales rep for these companies and they pay you in " gear" and entry fees... Gear don't pay the bills. AND unfortunately the social media game is so inflated with people who are on employment insurance half the year and just fish everyday that working guys like me could never post enough pictures to make the nps thing viable for either me or the sponsor. Maybe i'll apply for such programs when low lives stop claiming all the EI I pay into every year and never claim. Funny though how the people I know who are legitimately injured and need financial support can't get it yet every construction worker under 30 that i meet get it 6 months of the year with no effort in finding a job in the winter...

#339154 Hi everyone

Posted by ApacheFishingVentures on 20 March 2017 - 07:51 AM in Welcome!

As Tombo said, perch is fantastic! However you can eat most species and it can come down to preference in some cases. Common sport fish for consumption in Ontario include but are not limited to: Yellow Perch, Walleye, Northern Pike, White Crappie, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Catfish, Burbot, Bass, Rainbow trout, Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Lake Trout and Salmon. However, there are limits on the amount of fish you are allowed to keep for most of these species so look at the Ontario fishing regulations either online or in the handbook given to you upon purchasing your license to make sure you are taking legal fish (legal in this case meaning a fish within an open species that is within the size and retention limit, in a body of water open to angling at that time of year.) Within the regulations, there is also consumption guidelines that will tell you where you can eat fish from and how many per month. There are many sanctuaries to avoid at certain times of the year and you will want  to know where this is so please refer to the regs. And finally, something to keep in mind if sustainable fisheries for the future is something you would want; keep our rivers healthy. Pack out what you bring in if not more if you have time, never take more than you need because you feel you need to get your money's worth (angling in these pressured parts of Canada has to be about more than putting food on the table or we will all have a hard time catching) and try to use common sense when it comes to some of the ethics. Don't bonk a musky in the head because its eating all the walleye for example. The food chain will balance itself and in many areas Musky and Bass are sport fish that are not to be eaten or killed, but if you want to munch a musky, go for it;  that's why the regulations are in place.

Good luck and feel free to PM me any questions