Ibstacle's Content

There have been 34 items by Ibstacle (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#345112 Ganaraska River Steelhead Report - Example of an OFF Report

Posted by Ibstacle on 09 April 2020 - 05:22 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Thankfully all my spots are on private land lol

Also, the ganny is for bums

#345082 good fishing from a canoe with trolling motor?

Posted by Ibstacle on 06 March 2020 - 03:36 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Welcome to the forum Wayne!

I occasionally troll from an inflatable dinghy for bass and pike at Gu*lph Lake and Belw*od Lake and I see people trolling from canoes quite a bit at Gu*lph Lake.

Fortunately for you, there are many reservoirs in your general area that you can go for the day trips and fish for bass, pike and sometimes walleye. However, fish populations in these small local lakes isn't that high and tbh who knows how clean the water really is so I recommend you travel a up north if you're interested in harvesting your catch. You'll probably catch way more fish up there too.

A good spot that isn't too far up north (about 2.5 hours from your area) is Spar*ow Lake. I went there a couple of times during the summer time and was able to easily fish from a canoe with my friend. The fishing is pretty good for decent sized bass, pike, and walleye. There isn't that much boat traffic so the water is calm for the most part. You should be able to find a cabin that isn't too costly. 

#345081 what rivers to fish?

Posted by Ibstacle on 06 March 2020 - 02:38 PM in GTA Urban Shore Fishing

Go to the mouth of Mimico creek and bottom bouce some styrofoam. You'll catch plenty of trophy sized brook trout 

#345030 Black Friday 2019

Posted by Ibstacle on 02 December 2019 - 03:57 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Here are few more sweet deals:

https://alflahertys....el-abec-3-is-3/

https://alflahertys....edition-purple/

#345029 Black Friday 2019

Posted by Ibstacle on 02 December 2019 - 02:20 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Islander Reels have a pretty good sale that's still going on (last day I think). I got a reel 25% off on Friday. Now the sale is 20% off but its still an amazing deal.

Also, Sail has some good deals right now. On top of that, for $10 off your purchase, use the code:  DOT-UHD-H7N-4NM              

I just checked and I'm honestly surprised the code still works. 

#345009 Abec 3 or 7s? - Islander Steelheader

Posted by Ibstacle on 18 November 2019 - 01:38 AM in Float Fishing

I’ve heard mixed reviews in the past. It seemed weird how the abec 7 upgrade was so expensive

Anyways, thanks for your replies and saving me some money

#345006 Centerpin Reels For Sale

Posted by Ibstacle on 15 November 2019 - 01:08 AM in Buy/Sell/Trade

I have a couple of centerpin reels for sale.

I'm willing to sell one of the two since it'll probably just sit on the shelf and collect dust

The first one is a gently used Okuma Aventa. I literally only used it 4 times (about 10-12 hours of use). It never touched the river or river bank so I can assure you no sand got in the bearings. Great start up and spun for 2.5 minutes last time I checked. Its spooled up with 150 m of high-vis 8lb sunline siglon ff which I found to be a pretty decent line. The reel retails for around $250 at Sail so I'll sell mine for $175.

The second one is the Amundson steelhead tracker. I have caught majority of my steelhead on this reel. It took a pretty good beating from all the fishing I've done with it and might have one or two scratches on it but I cleaned it out (opened and oiled) after my last outing with it. Only spins for about a minute but is very smooth/quiet. Doesn't have the best startup. Not sure what bearings are in here but a great starter reel for float fishing. Its spooled up with $150 yards of 10lb sufix siege floating mono which is the best line I've ever used for float fishing. The reel retails for about $150. I think it costs $100 bucks at a few places. I'll sell mine for $75.

I can't sell them for any cheaper than what I have said above. If you're interested in buying one or want to see some pics just let me know.

I'm in the west end of the GTA. Pick up only

#345005 Abec 3 or 7s? - Islander Steelheader

Posted by Ibstacle on 15 November 2019 - 12:02 AM in Float Fishing

I currently have an islander steelheader with the stock bearings. It's definitely one of the best reels I've used due to the amazing startup

Just looking for some opinions on whether the the abec 7 bearing factory upgrade is worth it

#345004 First trip in Algonquin, any good beginner routes?

Posted by Ibstacle on 14 November 2019 - 11:56 PM in General Fishing Discussion

What species are you interested in?

I was one of the contributors to a map my friend made of Algonquin full of brook trout spots

While I will not give you access to the map, I can point you in the right direction of where to go and how to access it if you tell me where about you'll be fishing (town or general area will help)

#345000 New to Ontario fishing

Posted by Ibstacle on 06 November 2019 - 04:10 PM in Welcome!

I'm no expert, but I'm sure I can help you catch some fish.

Lake Niapenco and Mountsberg Reservoir are good spots to take your small boat out for small pike and bass

If you are interested in salmon and trout. I recommend the Niagara Whirlpool. It's a open year round and a great spot for shore fishing. It has a massive run of rainbow trout so if your planning on keeping them it won't impact the fishery. I'll send you a pm on how to access it.

The rod you currently have will definitely get the job done. The best rod I've purchased is the Shimano Sojourn that goes for around $40-60 (7 foot medium fast spinning rod). I've caught salmon, steelhead, brown trout, bass, pike, and panfish on this rod. So don't be pressured to buy into all that expensive high-end gear.

Bass will eat a variety of lures but the easiest way to catch them are fishing plastic minnow baits on a jig head. Pike (especially at mountsberg) will hit vibrax spinners, and spinnerbaits. For salmon/trout at the whirlpool, vibrax spinners are one of the best lures to use  

#344998 New to Ontario fishing

Posted by Ibstacle on 04 November 2019 - 08:23 PM in Welcome!

Welcome to OFF!

There are many multi species fishing opportunities in the hamilton area

Is there anything specific you are targeting?

#344991 For Sale Steelhead Flies

Posted by Ibstacle on 28 October 2019 - 02:15 PM in Buy/Sell/Trade

garbagio

#344953 Off season activity

Posted by Ibstacle on 08 October 2019 - 02:22 PM in General Fishing Discussion

trout season just started for me

#344907 Fly fishing resident trout

Posted by Ibstacle on 03 September 2019 - 09:54 PM in Fly Fishing

Nice. I fished downstream from the cataract at the forks a few days ago. Caught one tiny brown

#344855 Can anyone recommend a 10lb and 30lb fishing line?

Posted by Ibstacle on 12 August 2019 - 09:49 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I think I can help you with your spinning reel

Get 15 lb Stren Max Cast fused superline

Very inexpensive, casts really far, and has ZERO line memory which is amazing

Then use berkley trilene or any other good mono to use as a leader.

I usually use the uni to uni knot to connect the two lines.

https://www.youtube....h?v=JA66TPi9gT4

#344854 Salmon and trout

Posted by Ibstacle on 12 August 2019 - 09:10 PM in General Fishing Discussion

there is an early run every year on eastern lake ontario tribs

go to any creek or river and they'll be in there

#344832 Can't identify new fishing rod

Posted by Ibstacle on 03 August 2019 - 12:08 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

That's a good rod

#344827 Raven Helix Centerpin

Posted by Ibstacle on 31 July 2019 - 01:19 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Anyone have anything to say about this reel? I checked around but couldn't find many reviews or videos of this reel. I'm just wondering if its a good buy.

#344747 Hey everyone

Posted by Ibstacle on 26 June 2019 - 11:40 PM in Welcome!

Where abouts are you?

I'll share some spots I know via pm

#344740 I'm new to this forum

Posted by Ibstacle on 19 June 2019 - 12:40 AM in Welcome!

Nice fish. Welcome to OFF

#344738 Fly fishing resident trout

Posted by Ibstacle on 18 June 2019 - 01:43 PM in Fly Fishing

I'm just wondering if you guys can share what fly patterns are productive for you this time of year while fly fishing for resident trout (rainbow/brown/brook) on tribs like whitemans, the upper grand and the upper credit. I lost both of the boxes containing majority of my flies last fall and I only had a few left to use this past spring. I've had success using Adams, pheasant tail nymph, and black stonefly nymph. I usually have success this time of year using a black caddis but I didn't have any with me this spring. I appreciate any suggestions as I will probably go buy/make some more flies this weekend.

Thanks 

#344737 Somewhere to get some confidence back

Posted by Ibstacle on 18 June 2019 - 01:34 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Binbrook

#344731 Niagara River Late Spring Fishing (Videos)

Posted by Ibstacle on 12 June 2019 - 10:46 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Yeah I noticed a lot more steelhead being caught this year and not as many lake trout. 

I think it was a really good run of steelhead for lake Ontario tributaries this spring. I caught a lot more fish this spring than last year and the year before that.

#344729 Bass Opener 2019

Posted by Ibstacle on 12 June 2019 - 09:21 AM in General Fishing Discussion

As bass opener in zone 16 approaches, I'm starting to put the trout gear away. 

I usually fish for bass from shore in lakes, creeks, and quarries just west of Toronto. 

My most productive lures around opener are spinnerbaits, swimjigs, paddle tail swimbaits, the Berkley gulp 3 inch minnow and the Strike King 4 inch dream shot.

I'm gonna start to stock up on some new gear and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any lures that work for you while shore fishing small lakes.

Thanks

#344728 Niagara River Late Spring Fishing (Videos)

Posted by Ibstacle on 12 June 2019 - 09:08 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Nice videos

How long do you think steelhead will still be in there (whirlpool area)?