RedGyarados's Content

There have been 5 items by RedGyarados (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#340927 Braid to Fluorocarbon Leader

Posted by RedGyarados on 23 July 2017 - 02:12 AM in Forum Questions, Suggestions and Feedback

I tried the FG knot and it didn't work great because I made the mistake of using a lighter fluro leader. The FG knot is best suited for connecting main line to a heavier leader so the main line bites down into the leader material.

Now, since I use a lighter fluro leader with braided main line, I use the Alberto knot and it has worked great. It can be a bit tricky and time consuming to tie at first, but with practice and time you'll get it!

Goodluck with those stripers!

#340869 What's in your tackle box?

Posted by RedGyarados on 18 July 2017 - 04:36 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Needle nose pliers/forceps are a must! I also carry a nail clipper to cut my line and a small file to sharpen any of my hooks incase they get too dull.

If you use senkos or any other sort of stick bait, rubber o-rings can really help extend the life of your baits!

Tight lines

#340862 Introduction

Posted by RedGyarados on 16 July 2017 - 06:56 PM in Welcome!

Thanks Pump! I'm a fan of your YouTube vids.

No I haven't tried circle hooks for stocked trout. Have you? If you have, do you recommend a certain brand? Also, do you find your hook up ratio to be lower when using circle hooks, rather than a standard J hook?

Hi Bear,

I was fishing the grand near Kitchener. Indeed, it stretches quite a distance hence the name! Hopefully I'll explore more of it this summer and see what bites.

#340793 Introduction

Posted by RedGyarados on 08 July 2017 - 11:10 PM in Welcome!

Hello!
I'm an old time fisherman . I live in Bancroft ontario and do most of my fishing here and in the surrounding area. I'm mostly a trout and walleye fisherman.

Hi Randy,
I tried to do some trout fishing today in the grand river but no luck, only a few rock bass. I was using a yellow/gold bass pro spinner and some night crawlers on a bobber.

I usually use powerbait dough when fishing stocked ponds for trout. Works great, however they tend to swallow the hook pretty deep so harvesting them is the way to go when using powerbait.

What are your favourite baits/lures for trout & walleye?

#340783 Introduction

Posted by RedGyarados on 07 July 2017 - 12:02 PM in Welcome!

Hello!

I'm relatively new to fishing and have learned most of what I know from YouTubers. I'm looking forward to exploring new fishing locations this summer and hopefully land some quality fish. I only practice catch & release, unless I fish at a conservation areas where they stock the ponds (such as delicious Rainbow Trout at Heart Lake).

I live in Guelph, but haven't found a decent spot close by so I'm still looking. I'm a shore angler with just enough tackle as I'm still learning what rigs and lures work best. My favourite set up so far is a Texas rigged worm.

A bait that I would like to try out once I get more experience is some sort of top-water like a popper or a frog. I'm also thinking of purchasing some tubes as well for smallies since I hear they work great.

Looking forward to sharing and gaining knowledge so we can catch some beautiful fish,

Tight lines!