Needabiggerboat's Content

There have been 6 items by Needabiggerboat (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#342894 Bigger boat

Posted by Needabiggerboat on 26 December 2017 - 03:01 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Really appreciate the insight. Lots to look for. I do all my own mechanical work and home renovations, my car is a 99 VW TDI with 480k km on it still going strong. I wish I knew boats as well as VW's. Will have to take some time for the right deal to come up, heck if you're available for some consulting work, let me know.

#342877 Bigger boat

Posted by Needabiggerboat on 24 December 2017 - 04:53 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I was thinking something this size, appears to be fibreglass,but it's not mentioned.
erie.craigslist.org/boa/d/17-ft-invader/6424323734.html

Even if the interior is ugly and it needs a bit of work, how wrong could you go for $1000?

Even this one, about the right size:
erie.craigslist.org/boa/d/17-ft-invader/6424323734.html
What all should I be looking out for?

#342868 Bigger boat

Posted by Needabiggerboat on 23 December 2017 - 01:02 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

It's a fairly flat bottom boat, maybe I'll look for a 16' deep. So hard to know without experiencing different boats.

#342866 Bigger boat

Posted by Needabiggerboat on 23 December 2017 - 11:58 AM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

About a half a mile from shore would be lots for me.

#342864 Bigger boat

Posted by Needabiggerboat on 22 December 2017 - 11:13 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Howdy all, new to the forum and need a bit of advice. Have been using my Dad's 14' aluminum boat for fishing, he's had it for 30+ years. Got a 20hp motor in good shape last summer, as the original viking cooked a piston 25 years ago, so the boat hadn't been used since. He has a camp on Manitoulin, and access to the North Channel. He's not right on the water, but can launch in a fairly shallow protected bay which opens up to a larger bay with water 100'+ deep. This is where I'd like to try fishing for some larger fish, I believe there are salmon down there somewhere. We went out early in the fall/late summer, and as with bigger water came bigger waves, 2-3' rollers. Maybe I'm getting older, but we've been out on big lakes, and I was never bothered before. The rollers, not sure if it was knowing the depth of water, or just the rolling around, but I'd sure like a bit bigger boat to use here. I found a nice one on Craigslist in the US that seemed like a heck of a deal compared to what I'm seeing on Kijiji, but does anyone have an idea what I should be looking for size wise?
I'm thinking 18 or 19' don't really need a much bigger motor, but if I pick up something, I sure as heck want it to be comfortable. The old bench seats in the aluminum just don't make fishing enjoyable, so comfort is a big factor as well. Should I be looking at a bass boat vs a cuddy? Budget under $5000 is what I had in mind.
Any and all advice really appreciated.

#342863 New on here

Posted by Needabiggerboat on 22 December 2017 - 10:15 PM in Welcome!

Howdy all. New to the forum, looking to do some more serious fishing this summer, always good to join a collective knowledge for insight.