cwb124's Content

There have been 6 items by cwb124 (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#344765 Need help with lure shopping list for St. Lawrence

Posted by cwb124 on 01 July 2019 - 02:32 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I'm from PA also Lancaster good luck on your trip , post a report with pictures when you get back .

On nice.  I am about 45 mins east of you in Downingtown.  I fish the west branch of the Susquehanna regularly near Wyalusing for smallies.  Really looking forward to this father/son trip to Gananoque.  Again, appreciate all the info.

#344762 Need help with lure shopping list for St. Lawrence

Posted by cwb124 on 01 July 2019 - 09:35 AM in General Fishing Discussion

I talked to one of my friends who has been making a trip to Gananoque the last 15 summers he said make sure you have some spinner baits and spoons . He said any deep weed edges you will find Pike they also fish the points of a couple of the islands and do well on Bass . Good Luck

Awesome advice and thanks for all the help Hank!  I think I'm all geared up ready to go.  I picked up some stuff for ned rigs as they work really well for smallies in NE Pennsylvania.  I have some longer worms for a wacky rig or drop shot, some different soft baits like yum/keitech for more enticing drop shots.  I also got some tubes and some rattlin rogues.  I will bring my handful of spinner baits for pike.  I am only lacking spoons which I may have to pick up in Canadian Tire when I get up there as the spoons around here are very small.  We lack pike here so it's hard to find properly sized pike lures.  

Got most of my reels spooled up with new 10lb line.  My son's push button has new 8lb test on it.  I am also bringing a trout rod to play with some perch/rock bass.  

#344754 Need help with lure shopping list for St. Lawrence

Posted by cwb124 on 27 June 2019 - 01:00 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Any chance for walleyes in mid July? 

#344750 Need help with lure shopping list for St. Lawrence

Posted by cwb124 on 27 June 2019 - 08:56 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Hey folks,

In about 3 weeks I am heading to Gananoque to fish the St. Lawrence for 4 days from a pontoon boat.  I'm primarily a fly fisherman and a casual panfish/largemouth bass fisherman so my tackle box is typically geared toward that.  I am currently unprepared for fishing a large river for smallmouth, pike, and walleye.

I am set with rods and reels and 10lb line spooled up with a handful of wire leaders for the toothy fellas.  But I am not sure what lures and rigs to pick up to have the best fishing experience.  If anyone could throw some ideas out I would appreciate it.  The more specific the better.  I have not shopped for spin lures in a long time so I am way out of the loop.  I am heading to a Cabelas near me this weekend to make my final purchases.

In addition, I will have my 10yo son with me who would love to lay into the perch and other panfish.  I am assuming worms might be the best solution for him but if I'm wrong I'd love to hear it.  Thanks folks!  Been looking forward to this trip for a while.

CB

#344537 Help planning fishing trip for me and my 10 year old

Posted by cwb124 on 28 January 2019 - 03:18 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Well I've kind of focused my attention to one of those houseboat rentals which seems rather economical vs. a cottage with a boat rental.  Plus it's a little more of an adventure although I have little boating experience so that troubles me a little bit. I think it's one thing to hop into a 16' bass boat and go fishing versus living on a houseboat for several days and dealing with docking it, anchoring it, etc.  When is the best time to fish the St. Lawrence between July 1 and end of August?  I was shooting for maybe 2nd or 3rd week of July to avoid 4th of July crowds.  Hope the bugs aren't too bad.

#344535 Help planning fishing trip for me and my 10 year old

Posted by cwb124 on 28 January 2019 - 11:29 AM in General Fishing Discussion

My son is big into fishing now but he's still learning.  We hit the panfish ponds around here but we are looking to venture into Ontario to really get him into a bunch of fish.  Bass, walleye, pike, etc. I've been kind of looking at Gananoque area on the river, that seems promising but lack of boat is potentially an issue.  

Does anyone know where a dad and his son can stay for a few days and catch and release some decent fish?  I'm not opposed to a day of chartered fishing but I think a boat rental might be a little too costly with lodging, food, fuel, etc.  Just want to get my kid into a bunch of fish and show him a good time.  Not after size, rather would like quantity over quality due to his age and somewhat shorter attention span.  Would love any suggestions.  Thank you!