Ibroxlad's Content

There have been 12 items by Ibroxlad (Search limited from 21-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#344980 Classic fly rod found in garage

Posted by Ibroxlad on 20 October 2019 - 04:22 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

Unless it has any obvious visual defects, I would assume it’s good to go. Check the guides and the tip, ensure they are smooth and have no corrosion. Check the ferrules have a good fit. Take it outside and give it a few casts.

Looked it over well, and it's in great shape. I was paired with a Pflueger Medalist reel, and it is also in great shape. I'll do a little maintenance over the winter and replace the line and it'll be ready for next year. Can't wait to use it.

#344979 Off season activity

Posted by Ibroxlad on 20 October 2019 - 04:18 PM in General Fishing Discussion

You sound like me 5 years ago.....until I discovered Steelhead. Sept 30 is now the “new” beginning. Don’t be put off by the circus at the most popular/assessable locations, although there are some legit anglers and it could be an opportunity to watch and learn. There is quieter water if you do your homework.

Thanks Rayk,

I've thought about going out to fish for them, but I'll have to wait until I buy a more robust rod. I currently use a 5/6 weight fly rod and to fish for steelhead I'd want something in the 8 or 9 weight range.

#344966 New to flyfishing need tips

Posted by Ibroxlad on 12 October 2019 - 01:37 PM in Fly Fishing

1. Buy a proper backing. You may never have a fish run enough to need it, but it will be peace of mind knowing you've set up your rod/reel properly.

2. I fish a 5/6 weight rod, and it is strong enough for bass as long as you're fishing it properly, and not just reefing it in to land the fish. The casting of larger flies is something that takes a little bit of technique, because you won't want the usual tight looping line flow, in case it hits the tip of your rod. You'll want to open up the backcast a little, much as you would when fishing a nymph/wet fly with a split shot. There are many sites and videos online that you can watch and learn from; here is one of the best. 

https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/

Pete Kutzer is regarded as one of the best casters around so you won't go wrong watching the videos on this site.

Have fun ;)

#344965 Fishing around McMaster University

Posted by Ibroxlad on 12 October 2019 - 01:27 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Too late for this year, but Cootes' creek in Dundas is supposed to hold brook and brown trout. It would be typical small creek fishing, no long majestic fly casting, but in some spots it does indeed look like good brook trout habitat.

If you've got some time after class, you can always check out Bronte Creek in North Burlington. I've had a lot of success fishing for trout in some stretches. 

But again, you'll have to wait until spring :(

#344960 Off season activity

Posted by Ibroxlad on 11 October 2019 - 08:12 AM in General Fishing Discussion

Dude, where have you been? Literally just starting to run up here. November and December are the best times IMO.

I like fishing the source waters and upper reaches for brooks and browns. I don't go out for the steelheads or salmon. Maybe I will this year, if I can't stand the long winter wait ;)

#344950 Off season activity

Posted by Ibroxlad on 07 October 2019 - 08:50 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Just curious to see how others will pass time until next spring when trout season opens up.

I'm going out next week to buy a vice and some material to start tying flies to pass the time. 

What about all of you?

#344949 Guess the weight

Posted by Ibroxlad on 07 October 2019 - 08:47 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I'd say about 4.2 pounds. The guy holding it is about a buck seventy, give or take a few ;)

#344948 Classic fly rod found in garage

Posted by Ibroxlad on 07 October 2019 - 08:43 PM in Fishing Gear Talk and DIY Corner

I have recently acquired a vintage Browning SilaFlex 5 line fly rod. It hasn't been used in over 20 years, and though it looks great, I'm wary of taking it out in case it cannot handle the action after so many years of sitting idle.

Are there any suggestions on how I can prepare it for use? I won't be going out until next spring, so I have quite a few months to get it back in shape, and at 7' long it is the perfect size for some of the small brook trout streams I like to fish.

All suggestions welcome.

#344947 Fly fishing resident trout

Posted by Ibroxlad on 07 October 2019 - 08:38 PM in Fly Fishing

I've had success with various caddis as well, especially on the Upper Credit. The larger caddis can even be swung across the current just like a small muddler. 

Can't wait until spring ;)

#344906 Hello Everyone

Posted by Ibroxlad on 03 September 2019 - 07:42 PM in Welcome!

Hello All, 

I'm Ibroxlad, and I've just joined the forum. First point of business is to apologize, as I didn't read the welcome letter before I started posting and I named a couple of rivers in my responses to other posts. Won't happen again.

I just started fly fishing this year, and have worked hard to improve my techniques and knowledge of the sport. I've had some success in terms of numbers, and have managed to catch quite a lot of brook, brown and rainbow trout, but they are all on the smaller side, between 7 - 10 inches, with the exception of a 12 inch brook trout, and a 12 inch brown trout, caught on a <ahem> west trib. ;)

I welcome any and all advice, as I know there is a lot for me to learn.

Glad to be a new member.

#344905 Fly fishing resident trout

Posted by Ibroxlad on 03 September 2019 - 07:33 PM in Fly Fishing

I've had success with dries such as the pale morning and sulphur dun, as well as the blue wing olive patterns on the Credit in the Belfountain area.  Yesterday I caught 8 brook trout, three of them were 9 inches, but the remainder were between 7 - 8 inches. All were released :) and even though they were small, it was still a fun morning.

#344904 Great day on the Grand, 2 tiny fish...

Posted by Ibroxlad on 03 September 2019 - 07:23 PM in Ontario Fishing Reports

I feel your pain. Today I was out on the Saugeen, and didn't even get a strike. Yesterday, on the Credit, I caught 8 brook trout between 6 - 9 inches long (all released). I also started fly fishing this year, and have had a lot of success in terms of numbers, but the biggest fish I've caught have been a 12 inch brook and a 12 inch brown. I can't help thinking I'm doing something to spook the larger fish. 

I'd like to think that it's just the time of year, but I'm not convincing myself ;). Still, even though I was skunked today, it was a great day on a gorgeous river.