Big Butthead's Content

There have been 10 items by Big Butthead (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#338823 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 18 February 2017 - 07:21 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Looking for guidance and tips as I plan to tick some items off my bucket list this summer.  I've driven the Saskatchewan/Ottawa trek a dozen times since 1988, but never had the opportunity to stop, fish and enjoy the scenery (every time I drove, I promised myself I'd be back). Well that time has come.  I'm taking 7 weeks off work, leaving Saskatchewan August long weekend with my boat hitched to the truck, returning 3rd week in September. 

With the help of Google Earth and the web, I've come up with a tentative schedule.  Trip being split in 3 segments: 1. Two weeks from Saskatchewan to Ottawa. 2. Two weeks in the Ottawa valley area and 3. Three weeks return to Saskatchewan.  Musts stops along the way and back, LOTW, lake Superior and Georgian Bay (so yes, will be using Hwy 17).  If there are must fish gems out there, I have no problem driving an hour off the TransCanada to reach the destination (when you live in Saskatchewan, driving long distances is the norm) :cool: .  My only limitation is I need a decent boat launch to put my boat in the water.

My goal is landing a trophy musky, a long nose gar and see how many other species I can bring into the boat in that time period.

I'm open to all suggestions.   I thank you all.

#338824 Saskatchewan Angler

Posted by Big Butthead on 18 February 2017 - 08:25 PM in Welcome!

Hello all.  Moved to Saskatchewan in 1988 from the Ottawa valley.  My fondest memories is hand line fishing for brown catfish with my dad on the Ottawa river (landing the odd eel) and for pickerel below the Rideau falls.  Even though we have an excellent fishery here in Saskatchewan, I miss the fish variety that Ontario offers.  My fishing partners these days are my 3 grandchildren.  On a regular work week, my boat is in the water 1 to 3 times a week.

Joining this forum to meet like-minded people and re-familiarize myself with Ontario fishing opportunities as I'm planning a 7 week fishing trip across Ontario this summer.

I've taken the "Big Butthead" name cause it's my young grandson's way of describing the big size Northerns he regularly lands into the boat. Oh! and about that 51"er in the picture, my 11 yr old grandson caught it, he took the picture as it was to big for him to hold on to it. 

Looking forward to exchanging ideas and fish stories.  Anyone planning to come fishing Saskatchewan waters are welcome to contact me.

#338826 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 19 February 2017 - 01:27 PM in General Fishing Discussion

You could swing by the mighty Nipigon river and try to beat the world record Brook trout.

Thanks Sunfish.  Sounds like a challenge I might want to entertain.  Any suggestion where best to launch a boat from?

#338841 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 21 February 2017 - 01:33 PM in General Fishing Discussion

What size boat do you have?

20' Starcraft Fishmaster with a 175 Etech

#338846 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 21 February 2017 - 04:42 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I think your Long Nose Gar is possible in the Ottawa River. I camped at Driftwood Provincial Park near Deep River once - caught Sturgeon there. Ever catch a Sturgeon? They have a good launch.

http://www.campscout...pground/ON0414/

Caught the odd sturgeon as a kid hand line fishing on the Gatineau and the Ottawa river with my dad.  Here on the North Saskatchewan, it isn't rare to catch a 20lb to 40ld specimens.  I haven't targeted them, but I have a few buddies at work who do so.

As for going after long nose gars, my understanding is that some of the bigger ones caught in the province are in the Ottawa river in the Aylmer (Quebec side) and the Britannia beach (Ontarion side) and also where the Mississippi comes in.  I see these guys as being one of the bigger challenge of this trip.  I've never targeted them before but remember seeing them around the rapids on the Ottawa.

#338847 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 21 February 2017 - 04:46 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Thanks Sunfish.  Sounds like a challenge I might want to entertain.  Any suggestion where best to launch a boat from?

Sorry Trev, Called you Sunfish.  I'm new on the site and mistook Sunfish above your pic to be your name.  Never too old too learn.  LOL.

#338848 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 21 February 2017 - 05:15 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Not sure where he used to put in but my father in law used to fish the north channel between Manitoulin and the mainland. Big lakers and pike.

http://thisismanitoulin.ca/fishing/

Also, if you trek down 69/400 to the Key River it's possible to access the Bustard Islands in Georgian Bay.

http://campdore.com/

Thanks for the links Joel.  I'll check these out.  I have a friend in Blind River I plan to stop and visit.  Will see if he can point me in the general areas where those big lakers and pike are. Was also looking into the Moon river area for muskies and bass.  

#338856 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 22 February 2017 - 07:48 PM in General Fishing Discussion

Definitely try for gar where the Mississippi flows into the Ottawa! Ive seen countless big gar there and a friend of mine caught a 48" longnose gar in a small bay a few hundred yards into the Mississippi just before you hit Galleta. Seen big musky, walleye and largies there as well as crappie! That section of the Mississippi is great.

Thanks Apache, that really helps cutting down on searching a lot of water.  Much appreciated.

#338876 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 24 February 2017 - 08:14 AM in General Fishing Discussion

No problem brother! Good luck! I'm actually doing a similar trip in the spring from southern Ontario to Lethbridge and fishing a lot of northern Ontario along the way! Let us know how the trip go!

If your schedule allows, there's a little gem in southern Saskatchewan just 15 minutes south of Maple Creek.  The Cypress Hills are the highest elevation point east of the Rockies that offers some of the most beautiful night skies in North America.  Bonus offerings are small rivers and streams with nice trout waiting for the right fly to hit the surface of the water.

http://www.cypresshi...skatchewan-home

http://www.nwff.ca/T...askatchewan.pdf

#340477 Bucket List Trip

Posted by Big Butthead on 04 June 2017 - 01:24 PM in General Fishing Discussion

I'm in the Ottawa Valley and would be happy to point you in the direction of a few hotspots. There is so much water out here that I haven't spent any time on the Ottawa River because i've been so preoccupied with the lakes in the area. Lots of great bass/pike/walleye fishing out here as well. Going to want to stick to bigger water for muskie (Kemptville on Rideau system too) but if you want to get into some of the smaller bodies let me know!

Thanks for the offer DMG.  The Ottawa valley was my home - born and raised in Lowertown.  I plan to revisit a few of my dad's hotspots.  I have a couple of brothers and nephews just waiting to bring me to their favorite spots.  Not sure I'll time to explore any more during my 2 weeks back home.

Thanks again.