• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi , im looking to get out soon but i would like to know some ice conditions of lakes around the parrysound area or midland bay if you know plz let me know thnks!!!! darrin

#2 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

IMO GB is unsafe still.....smaller lakes around PS will be ok . Where are you leaving from and what do you want to fish for?

#3 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

i would be in sturgeon bay fishing for pike but i dont keep them, i am into crappie or perch, also pickeral

#4 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

i would be in sturgeon bay fishing for pike but i dont keep them, i am into crappie or perch, also pickeral

im leaving from midland so about an hour and a half drive for me im only seventeen but i gotta get out aha where abouts is lake muskoka? do you know how far from midland it is?

#5 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Listen to GBDrifter and play it safe.
If possible, wear a floatation suit and have your ice picks on you.

Good luck out there. You guys are lucky to have so many smaller lakes to access.

#6 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

thanks for the info i will hopefully be going to healey or mill lake this weekend thanks!!!

#7 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Ive heard good things about glen healy

#8 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Ive heard good things about glen healy

last time i was there a huge buck, a doe and a fawn walked past me not to far from me either lol

#9 stefan

stefan

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

I am a ice fishing biginer but i just get an fish finder from SANTA and i want to know if i can use the regular transducer for ice fishing.The fish finder is a humminbird piranhamax 160 portable.If somebody have any knolege i'll be verry happy . Thanks.

#10 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

I am a ice fishing biginer but i just get an fish finder from SANTA and i want to know if i can use the regular transducer for ice fishing.The fish finder is a humminbird piranhamax 160 portable.If somebody have any knolege i'll be verry happy . Thanks.

you should be fine with that transducer ,but good luck!!

#11 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

you should be fine with that transducer ,but good luck!!

I've used one for years and it works great. Doesn't like the real cold days, but I keep it in an insolated luch bag which seems to help. Also made up a arm for the transducer which sits over the hole and keeps the transducer pointing straight . Have fun but be careful.

#12 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Ice fishing eh?
Don't shoot me. I'm just a messenger. The weather forecast for the next 2 weeks is not looking good at all around Simcoe. I am looking to to head further north in the third week of January for lakers. Mother nature is not co-operating...

#13 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Ice fishing eh?
Don't shoot me. I'm just a messenger. The weather forecast for the next 2 weeks is not looking good at all around Simcoe. I am looking to to head further north in the third week of January for lakers. Mother nature is not co-operating...

i have 6-8 inches of ice in sturgeon bay where i fish for pike with 5-6" of it being solid black ice the top layer is just compact ice

#14 racer222

racer222

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

I was just out on Couchiching today and cleaned up with a big load of jumbo perch. The ice is decent and fishing was good! I went out from Airport Rd and had great luck in about 24FOW.....if that helps you at all.

best of luck,
John

#15 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

i have 6-8 inches of ice in sturgeon bay where i fish for pike with 5-6" of it being solid black ice the top layer is just compact ice

So Sturgeon Bay it is. Here I come Wednesday. Damned I went to work but keep on thinking ice fishing. Hope to to you there. I know further north the lakes are all frozen but here closer to home (Simcoe) the ice is way too thin..

#16 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

So Sturgeon Bay it is. Here I come Wednesday. Damned I went to work but keep on thinking ice fishing. Hope to to you there. I know further north the lakes are all frozen but here closer to home (Simcoe) the ice is way too thin..

bassically sturgeon bay right now is mostly just pike

#17 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

very shallow bay the deepest is maybe 8-10 feet

#18 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Whoa! I looked it up on google map and i mistook you for sturgeon bay for sturgeon lake. anyone going to sturgeon lake on Wednesday?

#19 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Whoa! I looked it up on google map and i mistook you for sturgeon bay for sturgeon lake. anyone going to sturgeon lake on Wednesday?

lol lots of people do that

#20 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

lol lots of people do that

but no i dont know where sturgeon lake is