• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Finally found a great resource to fish in Ontario! I was born and raised in Toronto and did some fishing but nothing like I do now. Its an obsession now much to the dismay of my wife! I now reside in Alaska and the fishing season never stops. I chase all 5 species of pacific salmon, rainbow trout, dolly varden, steelhead, arctic grayling you name it. From river fishing to lake fishing, open water to hardwater.

With all the fishing I do here and the love for it that I now have I regret not having fished the rivers and streams in Ontario. I fly fish and would love to catch a brown trout on a fly. I have never caught a brown trout and that is the main species of fish that I would love to catch. I visit family in Toronto every year and was wondering where I can go to catch a brown trout. I have no clue about where the trout are in any river because like I said my interest was peaked in Alaska and I never ventured in Ontario.

This year I will be down in Toronto later in the year, I think around November. Is there some good trout fishing to be had this time of year? If the browns are not prodominantly in then any trout will do. The Humber river will be the closest river but I will not be limited to it. Anythning close will work. Any tips where to go will be appreciated. I am not looking for honey holes, just a point in the right direction. Thank you!

#2 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

With so many views not one reply. Wow. So much for asking the "Ontario fishing community". Will just hit up the local fly shops. Thanks everyone! One only hopes that if you ask for help traveling some place thousands of miles away that you get a better response on other forums than I have here.

#3 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

With so many views not one reply. Wow. So much for asking the "Ontario fishing community". Will just hit up the local fly shops. Thanks everyone! One only hopes that if you ask for help traveling some place thousands of miles away that you get a better response on other forums than I have here.

I know nothing about trout fishing or salmon fishing. Sorry I could not be of any help. Check out the steelhead forums, sometimes they talk there. Sorry for the inconvenience and any offense we might have caused you. I wish you luck with your fishing, and hope that you fulfill your dream. Cheers.

P.S check to see if you can meet up with a local guide, he/she will be able to put you on some fish.

#4 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Almost any trib. east of the city contains browns or you can catch them off many piers jutting into the lake. There are more steelhead caught than browns in November. Many rivers off Lake Ontario in NYS are known for there large run of browns.

#5 kevan

kevan

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

As you pointed out, Humber Bay is great place. Scarborough Bluffs (on the other far end of the city) is another place. Just search up past threads, all you need to know are there.

#6 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the replys. I know to look up past threads and have but I thought I would still ask. Its great asking these questions as opposed to just looking up past threads because you get to communicate with fellow forum members, especially with me being a new member. I will hit up some fly shops and talk with them as well. I wouldn't mind catching rainbows or steelhead at all because I haven't caught them in Ontario. Alaska has rainbows and steelhead but no browns. One fish on the bucket list. :)

#7 MateoMC

MateoMC

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

I'm also new to the forum and sadly useless when it comes to answering your question, I wanted to say though that your experience in Alaska sounds pretty awesome. Hope you find your answer though.

#8 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

Welcome to the "New Reality" of "Forums". I'm on three others One Fishing. One Muscle Cars, One Woodworking.

The woodworking one I've been on for 4 Years. It Never use to be that way, but now it is. It's ALWAYS a point of discussion, but never a Concrete answer other than "Lurkers' that want to "Grab" whatever they can and Contribute nothing. OR! the "ME" Complex is running Rampant.

Saw your other Pics from "Up North" WOW!!! They are all Beauties!!!

Rick

#9 TroutAteMyHomework

TroutAteMyHomework

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

I also fly fish and yesterday I went at Humber Bay and caught a nice Brown Trout right from shore! Just go and fish man! I used a conehead muddler marabou

#10 Netmaniskey

Netmaniskey

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

I know it's a little bit of a drive from Toronto but niagara region has some stellar fishing.

#11 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

howdy...

i did a trip to alaska and the yukon once. best salmon and piking i've ever done, but you really need to liven up those grayling.  :)

i don't mind giving out my honeyholes to anyone that isn't going to trash 'em up.  pm me and let me know what you are expecting...

unfortunately, with the exception of salmon and the occasional pike, the further the drive from toronto, the bigger the fish.

not a hard and fast rule, but a good general one to consider...

#12 RiverStevens

RiverStevens

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Lots of nice holes around Toronto.

#13 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

nice fish but looks to me like its an atlantic salmon which are closed season in the rivers

#14 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

That does look like an Atlanitc and they are closed year round in rivers!

http://www.mnr.gov.o...mnr_e001335.pdf