• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I agree I would rather see a fish eaten than destroyed but I don't think that I'd eat anyting out of Lake Ontario at least not more than once a month and even then...I think you are lucky to live in a place like Alaska where the water is clean and free of contaminants. :)

x2

#82 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

all those poor orvis's will never see a good bend :(

sad right?....i am blessed to be able to simply enjoy fishing as it is the polar opposite of what i do all day--i am not that stressed about it...PS never flaunted new equipment...just sharing the passion my friend.

#83 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

sad right?....i am blessed to be able to simply enjoy fishing as it is the polar opposite of what i do all day--i am not that stressed about it...PS never flaunted new equipment...just sharing the passion my friend.

Schnip you always flaunt new equipment. Before you seemed extremely jacked to catch a steelhead, now you don't even care about catching any fish :blink:

#84 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Steelhead love biting stuff that are connected to an Orvis :wink:

#85 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Steelhead love biting stuff that are connected to an Orvis :wink:

ever since i switched to Simms/Kingpin i can't keep them of my hook :grin:

#86 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Lol. They'll bite your bait just to see the new imperial.

#87 mauro

mauro

Sunfish

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

wow. this got off topic fast.

IMHO i think we should encourage C&R, the view of a stringer should be discouraged, but not "ripped on".

I agree with NADO, that the post in question was not ripping on anyone even though it seems to have been interpreted that way.

#88 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Ok really??? I've been reading this and really am astounded. Yes I know I'm new to this forum, yes I know I'm new to going after Trout..but I can tell you without a doubt, that the first 2 fish I ever manage to catch are coming home with me! Stringer or sittting in the snow...they are homeward bound and destined for my plate! Anything after that..back they go..but really..if it's legal..who gives a rats a$$ if it's on a stringer and headed for a plate? C'mon now people, we are not talking about 'white bucket' people here, but people that want to show off their fish and be proud of what they managed to accomplish! I can tell you that *if* I finally manage to land a Rainbow I'm going to be proud as heck and would love to show it off! If someone jacks me for having it on a stringer?.....bring it....I've been fishing a long time and always try and look to the future when it comes to catch and release..but honestly...if I'm within the law, and it's coming to my table...who the heck is anyone to gainsay my decision? Nobody...plain and simple. You may not know me, and I may not know you..but as long as we all look out for the sport then it's all good!

Cheers!

Sure, keep your 2 trout limit and C & R for the rest of the day. The question is, what will happen if you hook into a fish that inhaled your bait, bleeding from the gills, and goes belly up when you try to release them back to the water? Or maybe you played the fish out too long and the fish isn't reviving properly? Not saying that you are, but if you are using trout roe from a previous catch and have two trout on a stringer, you're already over your limit.

Like you said, you're a noob to trout fishing and wouldn't want you to be explaining to a MNR officer why you're over your limit. Sometimes, it's better to be humble than be a show off.

#89 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Sure, keep your 2 trout limit and C & R for the rest of the day. The question is, what will happen if you hook into a fish that inhaled your bait, bleeding from the gills, and goes belly up when you try to release them back to the water? Or maybe you played the fish out too long and the fish isn't reviving properly? Not saying that you are, but if you are using trout roe from a previous catch and have two trout on a stringer, you're already over your limit.

Like you said, you're a noob to trout fishing and wouldn't want you to be explaining to a MNR officer why you're over your limit. Sometimes, it's better to be humble than be a show off.

I should probably clarify my statement! Yep, I'm a n00b to trout fishing, but what I actually meant was...*if* I managed to hook any fish in a day (say two for arguments sake)...then my day is over! I've fished other species long enough that I'm not going to take a chance on getting booked for being over limit, either on a stringer or possession. Would I perhaps keep another once I've eaten those two...probably...as I wouldn't mind a nice Bow dinner once in a while, but otherwise it's C&R.

Sorry if I wasn't clear! C&R is a great thing for those up and coming behind us!

Cheers! :grin:

P.S...unless I'm mistaken, having roe from a previous catch would not be over your limit unless you have 2 fish in the freezer (thereby being over on possession?). Yes, I absolutely agree..much better to be humble than a show off. LOL...but if I at some point *do* manage to land one....yep, I'm going to be a show off! LOL!!

#90 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Wow that's a positive way to look at it.

#91 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

This thread is redundant (from the outset)

MNR guidelines are quite explicit regarding proper handling of fish and catch quotas.

Want to keep a fish...up to you...C + R...up to you.

DONE

cc

Totally Agree!!

"Locking It Up" might be doing "Some" of us a Favour! The "Back Biting" and some of the Content is Way Past Reasonable!

Before anyone starts Throwing Stones .... This is My Opinion ONLY! YOU do what YOU Believe is Right. ...... I'LL do the Same.

Happy New Year!!

#92 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Not saying that you are, but if you are using trout roe from a previous catch and have two trout on a stringer, you're already over your limit.

please explain this, i have seen nothing in the regs about roe being counted towards your catch limit, if this were the case, you might as well throw salmon roe in there as well, since the trout and salmon limit are an aggregate limit

#93 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

please explain this, i have seen nothing in the regs about roe being counted towards your catch limit, if this were the case, you might as well throw salmon roe in there as well, since the trout and salmon limit are an aggregate limit

Its a possession limit not catch limit

#94 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Roe counts towards your limit???? wtf lol

How does this work?

#95 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Stringer photos shouldn't be discouraged, and neither should catch and kill. It is what it is, and this is coming from a guy that only keeps a fish very occasionallyfor roe and a meal. Part if fishing is sometimes keeping he catch, and I hate to break it to you young fellas, but those of us who have been doing this in excess of 25 years remember the days of 5 fish limits and people killing scads of fish! We couldn't fish them all out back then, it's unlikely to happen now. For example in my youth I would likely kill 8-10 a season, now you'd be hard pressed to see me kill 2 per year. There are many like me as well. I have put a ton of fish on the bank over the years, all across the Great Lakes both north and south shores, and the runs are as good or better than when I started. With lower limits and an increasing willingness to release fish, the few who string them up within their limits aren't going to break the populations. Combined with all the good work angling associations etc. do, I see no reason to discourage a kill photo. It is part of the tradition. Fluorescent line, and funny coloured float reels are not! Neither is the fashion show of steelheading these days. Some thoughts there for the new guys!

#96 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Roe counts towards your limit???? wtf lol

How does this work?

x2

Well i dont keep any fish, this just sounds weird :mellow:

#97 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Its a possession limit not catch limit

potato potahdo

i have still yet to see anything where it says roe counts towards your limit. if i buy my roe, i didn't harvest a fish to get it.

#98 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

If you have any part of a fish, then it counts towards your limit. Since roe is part of the fish, if you have roe left over from a female but no meat left, it's still counting as 1 fish towards your possession limit.

Having said that, CO's have enough problems to worry about, that they will never in a million years ticket you strictly for having a little bit of roe push you 1 over the limit. If you have a conservation license, 2 salmon in the freezer, and a little bit of rainbow roe that you kept from the spring, no need to throw out your rainbow roe. Just be aware that roe is technically part of the fish, and next time around be more vigilant.

Also, if you purchased your roe, just as if you were to purchase your fish, this does not count as part of your possession limit. If you bought a 10 pack of salmon fillets at the store, or if you bought 1lb of rainbow roe, this has no bearing on your possession limit.

#99 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

If you have any part of a fish, then it counts towards your limit. Since roe is part of the fish, if you have roe left over from a female but no meat left, it's still counting as 1 fish towards your possession limit.

Having said that, CO's have enough problems to worry about, that they will never in a million years ticket you strictly for having a little bit of roe push you 1 over the limit. If you have a conservation license, 2 salmon in the freezer, and a little bit of rainbow roe that you kept from the spring, no need to throw out your rainbow roe. Just be aware that roe is technically part of the fish, and next time around be more vigilant.

Also, if you purchased your roe, just as if you were to purchase your fish, this does not count as part of your possession limit. If you bought a 10 pack of salmon fillets at the store, or if you bought 1lb of rainbow roe, this has no bearing on your possession limit.

Yup...

There is technically a bunch of regs on how to transport fish properly too so that Ministry Officials can accurately identify species, size (for slot purposes), quantity.

May 24th they often check coolers in vehicles towing boats, and will fine if fillets are skinned and processed already.

#100 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Yup...

There is technically a bunch of regs on how to transport fish properly too so that Ministry Officials can accurately identify species, size (for slot purposes), quantity.

May 24th they often check coolers in vehicles towing boats, and will fine if fillets are skinned and processed already.

Yes always leave a piece of skin if transporting just the fillets.

If I was a CO, rather than give a fine, I'd say "So, you say these are walleye and perch, and not out of season bass and muskie, eh? I will get my portable grill, we're going to have to do a taste test."