72 replies to this topic

#1 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hi guys!

I have pretty much decided what center pin reel im gonna get, now it's on to the rod. I'm looking for one in between 11' 6 and 13'.

I've been looking at a few:

If i were to buy new:
-Rapala R-type 11' 6 medium light action
-Raven matrix 12' 9 medium light action

If i were to buy used (kijiji)
-Raven im 6 11' 6 medium light action
-Raven im 9 13' 6 medium light action

Any reviews on these rods? The reason i put that im 9 rod on is because i've been looking at kijiji everday and i found one that's 20 minutes away from my house and $200. I'm glad to hear any other recommendations!

Cheers!

EDIT: Add the shimano clarus and fenwick hmx to the list

#2 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hi guys!

I have pretty much decided what center pin reel im gonna get, now it's on to the rod. I'm looking for one in between 11' 6 and 13'.

I've been looking at a few:

If i were to buy new:
-Rapala R-type 11' 6 medium light action
-Raven matrix 12' 9 medium light action

If i were to buy used (kijiji)
-Raven im 6 11' 6 medium light action
-Raven im 9 13' 6 medium light action

Any reviews on these rods? The reason i put that im 9 rod on is because i've been looking at kijiji everday and i found one that's 20 minutes away from my house and $200. I'm glad to hear any other recommendations!

Cheers!

The R-Type is a good rod for the price. I know a couple people that have fished them and have nothing bad to say besides how the grip/cork is split as they can't put the reel lower on the rod.

The 11'6 IM6 is a meaty stick from what I know, a lot of people use them for chinnys.

Not sure about the other two.

#3 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

shimano clarus 13' . its a 4 piece and bends like a stripper. best 100 dollar float rod out there and STAY AWAY FROM OKUMA AVENTAS lol

https://fbcdn-sphoto...853376619_n.jpg

cant say thats not a sexy bend. the exposed long johns and beer belly on the other hand are far from it! hahaha

#4 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

yeah stay away from the im6 11.6, it is salmon rod. will snap you too much as a CP noob. i personally like raven everything, excluding the reels. if you can get your hands on a im8 13, you are set. good backbone and light enough tip for light leaders.

The shimano he is talking about is super whippy. not bad nooby rod. but has no back bone. told you in your REEL forum to go buy the fenwick hmx, best nooby rod you can spend money on.

But if these are your only choices, if the im9 is in great condition, buy that. there is no bad raven. just better other rods. ask them why they are selling it first. if they bought 350 dollar plus rod, that is a different story. but if they but something in similar price, question why they are selling in your head.

#5 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

shimano clarus 13' . its a 4 piece and bends like a stripper. best 100 dollar float rod out there and STAY AWAY FROM OKUMA AVENTAS lol

https://fbcdn-sphoto...853376619_n.jpg

cant say thats not a sexy bend. the exposed long johns and beer belly on the other hand are far from it! hahaha

Do you mean the aventa rod or aventa reel? Both?

And yes that is a sexy bend! :grin:

#6 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

yeah stay away from the im6 11.6, it is salmon rod. will snap you too much as a CP noob. i personally like raven everything, excluding the reels. if you can get your hands on a im8 13, you are set. good backbone and light enough tip for light leaders.

The shimano he is talking about is super whippy. not bad nooby rod. but has no back bone. told you in your REEL forum to go buy the fenwick hmx, best nooby rod you can spend money on.

But if these are your only choices, if the im9 is in great condition, buy that. there is no bad raven. just better other rods. ask them why they are selling it first. if they bought 350 dollar plus rod, that is a different story. but if they but something in similar price, question why they are selling in your head.

If the IM6 is a salmon rod shouldn't it have some meaty back bone? I am looking on kijiji everyday and i have thought that the IM8 looks pretty good. Seems like there's not alot of float fishing stuff on there though.

#7 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I've had the 13.5 foot Amundson Laredo sent to me...IM8 mid action with good power in the mid section for a good price...as on another post, I've enjoyed the Savvy also...another brand to consider.
cc

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

If the IM6 is a salmon rod shouldn't it have some meaty back bone? I am looking on kijiji everyday and i have thought that the IM8 looks pretty good. Seems like there's not alot of float fishing stuff on there though.

kijiji is pretty touch and go on float and fly stuff, mostly spinning gear

#9 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

As always I would recommend the Clarus for a great starter rod. It is a nice slow rod, lots of bend throughout the rod. It has enough power to turn a steelie and once you get a hang of the palm drag you can even use it for salmon. It isn't the ideal salmon rod but I used mine all this year pulling in a bunch of brute chinook without much issue.

That said... if you have the budget to spend on a Raven I would go for that. The quality is noticeable instantly. I have only fished the IM6 13'6 rod but I found it great paired with a matrix and sliding rings...

Best bet would be to go to a store and grab a few of the rods and whip em around in your hands a bit.

Some like it slow some like it fast...

#10 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

It has meaty backbone, what he meant was a CP noob will most likely be blowing leaders and straightening hooks as since it's stiffer it will be less forgiving than a softer rod.

#11 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

backbone is same as im8 13, difference is the tip action. im6 is fast tip. im8 is medium. if you dont know what that means. it means slow bends the most, very fast bends the least.

As i said, you don't have the finesse of Cp fishing yet. and you are starting with salmon. so you need a rod that can take your mistakes. im6 is very stiff, meaning you put too much pressure, your leader will snap. unless you are planning to use really thick leader, which is a different thread by itself. so when trout season comes around, and you using a thick leader, it may not catch you as much fish in very clear conditions, and if you down size to a 4-5 leader, your rod's tip action really goes to waste. my buddy has that rod and uses 4.5 leader. some times i get bored to death watching him fight a 6lb fish with that rod.

my first rod you can bend into a full circle. that is what i started with. landing was long as slow, but rarely lost fish. im6 will not forgive your horsing fish on light leader. it is all about how you handle the reel.

Im8 is 200 bucks. the sliding rings.

#12 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

It has meaty backbone, what he meant was a CP noob will most likely be blowing leaders and straightening hooks as since it's stiffer it will be less forgiving than a softer rod.

cjr beat me to it, as i was typing same thing lol

#13 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

cjr beat me to it, as i was typing same thing lol

haha, s'all good, your response is way more detailed :cool:

#14 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

For $200 the Raven IM9 is a good choice IF...AND ONLY IF..the rod is absolutely mint with not a single scratch on it. A small ding, chip, dent, scratch could cause a rod to blow up!
If you decided to get this rod make sure you look at the entire rod very carefully because you don't want to be stuck with a rod that has no warranty. I am sure the seller is good but I just wanted to give you a heads up.
As for the Rapala R-type 11' rod, I have used the 13'6" Rapala R-type rod and I was lucky enough to try out the 15' version while it was still in it's prototype stage. I must say for the price, I think it is a very good rod. It is light, it had decent guides and is a I would lean towards the 13'6" Rapala R-type for overall versatility. The 11' is light and a wonderful small river, creek rod but if that's what you prefer...go for it!

#15 driftslayer

driftslayer

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

The IM6 Ravens for the most part are very soft rods almost a noddle at least the older 13' 2 piece and the 15' 3 piece surely are.The 11'6 IM6 Raven is a different story much heavier rod underrated in line weight imo and is not a good rod for light leaders or floatfishing in general unless its for Salmon.Its a more appropriate rod for bottom bouncing or throwing hardware then floating for steelies. I can not comment on the IM8 i have built a couple but have not fished one though if i had to pick one i would go with the RV9 its a sweet rod a little more money though.

#16 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

The IM6 Ravens for the most part are very soft rods almost a noddle at least the older 13' 2 piece and the 15' 3 piece surely are.The 11'6 IM6 Raven is a different story much heavier rod underrated in line weight imo and is not a good rod for light leaders or floatfishing in general unless its for Salmon.Its a more appropriate rod for bottom bouncing or throwing hardware then floating for steelies. I can not comment on the IM8 i have built a couple but have not fished one though if i had to pick one i would go with the RV9 its a sweet rod a little more money though.

X2 on the RV9

#17 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

he is new to all this, he wants to get his feet wet first. his budget is not flexible. rv9 is probably best factory rod on the market right now, but i really doubt he will blow 400 on it. tax included. but it is really heavy from what i saw. once i held it in my hand. that is my future rod upgrade.

im6 13.6 is light action with slow tip. im8 is medium light with medium tip. he wants a happy medium with 150 dollar budget. not sure how good matrix are compare to the im's

#18 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

both rods would make a good witches ride as they are broom sticks. i have 13 clarus and its jobsite tested also 15'6 aventa that has turned some bigger fish. had raven im6 13' it was good too. i would suggest sliding rings to start.

#19 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

he is new to all this, he wants to get his feet wet first. his budget is not flexible. rv9 is probably best factory rod on the market right now, but i really doubt he will blow 400 on it. tax included. but it is really heavy from what i saw. once i held it in my hand. that is my future rod upgrade.

im6 13.6 is light action with slow tip. im8 is medium light with medium tip. he wants a happy medium with 150 dollar budget. not sure how good matrix are compare to the im's

This is how raven im8 13 bends on a 32 inch trout, putting full force into it.

Not sure if you're aware this pic is in negative?

#20 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I have Shimano Clarus 13" and Streamside Steelhead Special Edition 13" and they are excellent rods for the money.
Shimano $100.00
Streamside 120.00

Streamside is better for winter time because of over sized rings as far handling fish.Somebody said that that Shimano does not have backbone, well i was taking 28-30 lb chinooks with no problem yes it may take it bit longer to land them but for steelhed they are perfect.