• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Madadi

Madadi

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:26 AM

Hi there I am from Calgary, AB; I'm visiting here with my cousins for the next week or so.
Anyways, I'm an experienced angler but I'm having a tough time with the bass at lake aquataine!
I've never caught a bass before ( we have none in AB ).
We've been using every lure we can think of, including bait, but all we're getting is catfish and perch. (With the bait).
We were there the last couple of days at sunset and saw massive bass after massive bass rising out of the water.
They put the trout and pike splashes in AB to shame =).
Anyways, we had gulp alive minnows on the hook, worms, even powerbait trout bait and still were getting nothing but perch and small catfish.

Can somebody tell me if these Bass are specific to a certain type of bait or lure? We've tried floaters and rapala rattelers aswel with no chance.
I'll be happy with even a 2lb. bass before I leave next week; just wanna check her off my list =)
Thanks!

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

If you see so many of them rising at those sunrise/sunset hours, you should know to throw all the topwaters you have at them... :(
Good luck and let us know how you do.

#3 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

Apart from the very useful tip above, I would add to upsize your approach. Use a spinnerbait, jig n' pig, 5-6inch senko-type sinking worm.

#4 Madadi

Madadi

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

Alright guys, I will try some more floaters either today or tomorrow.
I was using an orange 2 piece floater yesterday about 5 inches long but getting no bites while they were jumping.

Just in case I have no luck today or tomorrow, is there any other places I can go around Mississauga that give me a great chance to catch small or largemouth bass?

Thanks guys

#5 bcorrea

bcorrea

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

If the Bass is rising like that, they should be bitting on your lures also. But in Bass fishing, even if they are active, you must put the lure the closiest that you can to the fish without "splash". If the water is pretty clear you should not use more than 10lbs monofilament leaders. The Pop "R", the smallest one, is a really good top water lure for Bass. Try diferent speeds, pauses and noise on the surface. The Zara Spock Jr., if properly handled, making nice "Z"s on the surface, moving only the tip of your rod that should be no more than 17lbs medium action, will atracts lots of fish.

You don´t have to many options in Mississauga, and shore fishing for Bass sometimes is an unfare game...your chances improve a lot if you rent a boat! Bass Lake and Lake Eugenia is some options not too far from you...

#6 pasy56

pasy56

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:18 AM

What part of the lake, did you see the bass rising?

#7 Cypher

Cypher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

The Hogs at Aquitaine are quite experienced and smart guys. I live about 5 minutes from there, so occasionally I will head there just to scratch the itch, but usually not much luck. I think its because of the extreme pressure on the lake, as ALOT of people fish there everyday.

Ive caught no more than 4 LM bass at aquitaine, and that was with a Strike King Burner Spinnerbait. I caught most of them from the dock casting towards the dam wall. Also, on the northern part of the lake, there are a bunch of lily pads just a few feet off shore. I get a few strikes out of those lily pads with a frog, but only managed to pull out 1.

For me, its not the greatest place for bass fishing. Too many kids and too much noise usually does not get you very far.

If you want to stay local for Bass fishing, id suggest heading up to Brampton and try out Heart Lake or Loafers Lake. Ive caught dozens of LM bass at Heart Lake this year, and recommend anyone near there to check it out.

#8 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

I tried Aquitaine and had no luck, I was using jigs though. I am wondering which species of fish do they have and are they in abundance or not?

#9 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

LM Bass, catfish, panfish.

There are members here who have had good success fishing for largemouth bass in this lake. You probably should stick to the traditional bass lures ie, soft plastics, crankbaits, small spinnerbaits, topwaters, etc...

#10 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

Can I use worms and what are there crappie there?

#11 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

Yup, there are crappie in there. I would say go ahead and use worms, but if you're after bass, you may have a hard time keeping the pan fish away.

#12 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

Where are the best places to fish at Lake Aquitaine?

#13 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

Where are the best places to fish at Lake Aquitaine?

The name "Lake" Aquataine is somewhat of a misnomer. This is a pond. It's small enough that I would just work the whole area, personally. I could be wrong, but I would guess that it probably wouldn't take you very long to discover the best spots IMO.

#14 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

I went there in July and some people were beside me were using worms , they only caught 1 and got 2 bites in 2 hrs.

#15 shimano25

shimano25

Sunfish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

Just don't keep your catches to have a feast. I heard Lake Aquataine is a storm runoff.

#16 emidyl

emidyl

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Definitely do not eat...

http://www.creditval... ... ng.htm#laq

#17 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

And the same goes for ALL of the ponds in the GTA reports section!!! DO NOT EAT.

#18 shimano25

shimano25

Sunfish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

And the same goes for ALL of the ponds in the GTA reports section!!! DO NOT EAT.

That is not necessarily true openfire. If you check out the MNR fish consumption guide some ponds in the GTA are not bad. For example, Grenadier Pond in the Humber area or Professors Lake in Brampton. I'd rather eat stuff from there than stuff that comes out of the lower Credit River.

#19 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

I was mostly referring to the stormwater management ponds. You would have to be one sick puppy to eat those fish. :oops:

#20 ReelAddicted

ReelAddicted

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:18 AM

I fish Aquitaine every once in a while with my wife when we get bored (it's only like a 15-20 min drive from where we're at in Milton. I used to live in Meadowvale through high school and would frequent it, but it's gotten pretty bad the past few years due to pressure. There are some fair sized bass in there still, but are very very elusive and in fact I'm making it my goal this coming Bass season to try and land a couple out of there just because of how elusive they are. I think soft plastics would be your best bet from past experience. And in terms of eating the fish, DON'T DO IT! I don't believe they are too safe, in fact check this out. I caught the biggest perch I've ever caught out of Aquitaine one time, must've been a freak perch as it was HUGE, like a Simcoe jumbo! I was deep hooked and didn't survive so I took it home, and after filleting it I discovered that it's meat looked like a sponge! It had tons of tiny holes in it!!! YUCK!