• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

Thanks Chrome. I'm going to continue using my spinning rod for the bass and smaller pike but may purchase a bass casting setup later in the season. I would be using the Curado 301e mostly for bigger pike (usually average 30"+) and the occasional musky if I have the opportunity to chase them down.

I've used a 301e in the past and would agree that it's not suitable for lighter baits. Thanks for the heads up

Oh, for pike and muskie, a 301E would be perfect. Good luck!

#22 FishFinder17

FishFinder17

Sunfish

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

Thanks Chrome.

I'm set on the 301E and will decide between the Shimano Compre and St Croix premier when I get a chance to hold them in my hand.

Switching gears a bit here - I pulled out my spinning setup and hit the credit last weekend to find that my spinning reel is on its last legs. I'm likely going to continue using my rod (Shimano Scimitar 7ft 2 piece graphite) but will replace the reel. I will use this primarily for bass fishing and maybe the odd smaller pike. I'd rather spend the big bucks on the casting setup so I'm looking at around $100 for the spinning reel. I've seen the Shimano Sahara and it seems like a good option within the pricepoint. Can anyone provide any other recommendations?

Again, I really appreciate all of the help. Not only will this save me from making the wrong purchase but will also ensure I'm ready to go as soon as the ice clears.

FF17

#23 FishFinder17

FishFinder17

Sunfish

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:08 AM

Going to give this thread a bump. Would love some input on my question above. Thanks again guys!

FF17

#24 popofish

popofish

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

Go with a Stradic FJ - best spinning reel for the money on the market imo. You can pick it up on kijiji for $150. Don't always need to buy new. People sell brand new things or in mint cond. you'd be surprised.

For your pike question here are my setups:

1. Small pike - Shimano chronarch 201e6 - Mojo bass 7' MH fast action

2. Big pike/musky - Shimano curado 301e - Mojo bass 7'9 H fast action (swimbait rod)

3. Musky - Shimano Calcutta 400d - Legend Tournament 8'6 XH fast (Big Dawg)

#25 FishFinder17

FishFinder17

Sunfish

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for all of the help. I went out today and picked up the Curado 301e and paired it with a MH fast St Croix Premier rod. Also picked up a Shimano Symetre spinning reel. Looking forward to the first cast!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: casting, rod, reel, baitcaster, shimano, pike, bass