• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

Hey guys I'm planning on hitting Simcoe for Lakers in the next little while (pending safe ice). I've never fished Simcoe for Lakers before, actually ive never caught a laker through the ice before. Just wondering if anybody could get me in the right direction in terms of good spots?(Pm me) Obviously they don't have to be specific spots. I've done some research but I would love some further insight. Thanks guys!

#2 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

The majority of anglers who fish lakers on Simcoe haven't even been out yet, the main lake is still open and kemp has had questionable ice for the past three weeks. If you do go you should really be wearing a floater suit and be spudding everywhere you go. Hopefully by the weekend that is all going to change as we have some really cold temps starting tomorrow and going into the weekend, I am hoping all of Kempenfelt will have a good 6-8" by Saturday, maybe a little less on the north shore since it is a bit behind. If you want to go this weekend I would say go to Kemp but don't go alone and make sure you have safety gear.

#3 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

Thanks NADO, hopefully those -25 tenps will tighten everything up!

The majority of anglers who fish lakers on Simcoe haven't even been out yet, the main lake is still open and kemp has had questionable ice for the past three weeks. If you do go you should really be wearing a floater suit and be spudding everywhere you go. Hopefully by the weekend that is all going to change as we have some really cold temps starting tomorrow and going into the weekend, I am hoping all of Kempenfelt will have a good 6-8" by Saturday, maybe a little less on the north shore since it is a bit behind. If you want to go this weekend I would say go to Kemp but don't go alone and make sure you have safety gear.

#4 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

i'm thinking of heading out on Sunday if ice reports are encouraging. 50/50 right now as i haven't solidified plans, but if you're interested we can meet up so you're not out alone.. assuming you're heading out by your self anyway. 

#5 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

i'm thinking of heading out on Sunday if ice reports are encouraging. 50/50 right now as i haven't solidified plans, but if you're interested we can meet up so you're not out alone.. assuming you're heading out by your self anyway.

I'm bringing another guy but ur more than welcome to come!

#6 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

I'm bringing another guy but ur more than welcome to come!

Awesome.. I'll reach out closer to Friday depending on how the ice is doing. 

#7 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Lemme know if you need a pal Shwarm.  I might be going out there too.

#8 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

I was thinking about trying out BP this weekend! I will let you know how it is, or if someone wants to meet up there feel free to PM!

#9 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

If you've never targeted lakers through the ice before, I would suggest doing some research prior to going.

Like others have said...on Simcoe, you'll do fine on Kempenfelt Bay. Anywhere in the bay can have potential for lakers as long as you're close to deeper water. I will personally fish anywhere from 40-120 feet of water.

If you want success, best to use electronics. I'm not saying it's impossible to catch a laker without one, but your chances will be increased dramatically.

It's going to be cold this weekend. A shelter with heat will be necessary if you want to enjoy your day and be comfortable.

#10 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

I'm going to wait a few more days till the bay tightens up a bit more. I'll do perch on CB tomorrow instead.

#11 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

Heading out tmrw! Hopefully the lakers are biting!