• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LateNightCam

LateNightCam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:31 AM

I want to get a better reel. I have been using an ugly stick rod and reel combo. It has served me well but I recently had a chance to use a more expensive reel lent to me by a friend and it was much better. I usually fish for bass and pike from shore but may want to try some carp fishing this summer. I've been looking at the Shimano Bait Runner online. If I was only buying one reel would this be a good all round reel for various species? Any recommendations on size? I like the bait runner feature .... at least the sound of it. I haven't actually fished with this reel.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony

#2 LateNightCam

LateNightCam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:30 PM

Never mind it's way to big. I stopped in a shop to see it. Might be looking at the Stradic now.

#3 boddah

boddah

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

Those reels ain't great for casting all day. Cast once.. Sit and wait. Personally I don't spend money on carp fishing. I use a 10' salmon rod and big cheap reel I got at Walmart. Bait runner is great but I just open the drag all the way and let the carp scream some line then set the hook.

#4 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

Hey Tony I was the guy in the shop that helped you today. Ur better off getting a 2500 or 3000 size stradic like you said. Even the cheaper symetre is a great reel

#5 LateNightCam

LateNightCam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:02 AM

Small world eh? Thanks for your help. Nice to see you here online. Do you think there's much of a difference between the Symetre and the Stradic as far as durability and how long they will last. I don't like throwing money away but have also learned that the poor man often buys twice. If something is going to last me for a number of years, sometimes it's worth the extra money.

How about reel size? Why not just buy the 4000 with it's large capacity spool and higher drag? Does that not give you more flexibility down the road? I hate changing line. Haha.

#6 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:24 AM

If you want it a multispecies reel, go with the 3000 stradic or even the 2500.  The 4000 would be to large for casting all day and you wouldn't need all that line.  Unless your targeting carp or salmon that can potentially spool you.  I use a 3000 for multispecies fishing and never had issues dealing with carp or salmon.  I just don't use it to chuck spoons for salmon.  I own a 4000 stratic for chucking and I know I wouldn't use it for anything else.  Also if your targeting carp, you can always loosen the drag.  Adjust the drag when you pick up and set your hook.

#7 LateNightCam

LateNightCam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:12 AM

The bait runner feature is no big deal. I'm used to just loosening the drag like you say. I'm not likely to be buying multiple reels and the weight difference is only 2 oz. I want the large line capacity because I travel to Thailand often and when there I fish. I caught a few pacu, catfish and carp on a recent trip. I was using my friends Saragosa 6000. It was a really nice reel. That's what is making me think of the larger line capacity and beefier drag. I also don't usually cast all day long. I'm more likely to be fishing minnows or leaches under a float than anything else when I go fishing here a few mornings a week after nightshift. 

I really appreciate the input though because I'm a bit of a novice, especially when it comes to gear, usually opting for cheap rod and reel combos. 

Attached Images

• pacu.jpg

#8 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

Agreed, 4000 is to big for what you want it for. The stradic is a bit of a better reel(bit better drag, bit smoother) but nothing that's super noticeable. The symetre was redesigned 2 years ago and now comes w/ x ship (a higher end gear system that is alot more durable). Both reels are awesome

#9 LateNightCam

LateNightCam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

So with just 1.6oz difference in weight ..... and after another long chat with the great guys at Bill's Bait and Tackle ..... explaining my situation in depth .... the winner is ..... Stradic 4000.

If I find it way too much for fishing here, It'll be my winter reel for my trips overseas.

ad91f4388c5a83eb944ffa058422d957.jpg

#10 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

I use a baitcaster for carp. It will also handle any big fish we have here in Ontario.

Attached Images

• 20151129_101851.jpg

#11 LateNightCam

LateNightCam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Nice setup. I've seen the tripods in use on YouTube videos. I especially liked this one from Hamilton. Close to my house.

#12 LateNightCam

LateNightCam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

#13 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

https://youtu.be/_z7...VA4rGjBvbM3_41g

#14 LateNightCam

LateNightCam

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

That was great. Some nice fish there and The Pogues background music was a good choice. Thanks for sharing. It looks like the pier has an active nightlife.