• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gavins2

gavins2

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

Hi everyone my name is jovan i am 13 and was wondering about the fishing action for panfish at these 2 places ?   thanks

#2 johnnie_pike

johnnie_pike

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:48 AM

Hi Jovan,

Ive fished grenadier pond for close to 40 years, so hopefully some of this info will benefit for you. The most exciting news I can give you is that due to decades of managment by the city and ministry of natural resources...theres much more than panfish availible at grenadier pond. Yes the majority of what you will catch is panfish, usualy in the form of bluegill ( sadly i ahve not seen much pumpkinseed sunfish, or crappie like i used to when i was a kid) catfish  are always aplenty if you set your rig right, but Ive also seen a rise in bass ( large and small mouth) being caught along with pike as well. It all depends on your setup.

If your looking for panfish exclusively, the following baits and lures work wonderfully: worms, flies, either cooked or raw shrimp ( my fave as i find it more cost effective that buying worms..you can break off pieces of shrimp into 3-5 pieces..the natural oil from a shrimp resembles the same  scent as a crayfish ( so ive been told)...i also hear trout love shrimp..but havent had a chance to try it...hoping to get to glen haffy sometime this spring which is a trout hatchery and pond just north of toronto. I usually use a balsam wood floater with a decent sized splitshot when fishing for pannfish there

For bass and pike: I find small to med spinnerbaits work really well , i like frog kickers as a lure as well.

Where to fish grenadier? I tend to start at the " bandshell" which is south centre along the pond trail. the northern half of the pond has been closed due to overfishing, neglect from fishermen ( ie. leaving discarded fishing line, not respecting the sensitive ecology of the marshes etc) ...from there ill work south between the pockets of trees...the little bay at the south east corner of the pond has many bluegill nests as they seem to prefer to breed there

When to go? Ill be starting in 2016 when the weather hits the late teens ( make sure you observe the rules..bass and pike arent in season..pike till mid may and bass closed to late june) ..I usually like to start early morning around 7 am at the bandshell ( actually i start at the restaraunt on top of the hill by the zoo..not a bad breakfast for a small price ;) ) and again work the little pockets of open space heading south...

Recomended : Pickup a little container for hooks weights floats and lures from the dollar store for two bucks ( in the hardware area) grab some snacks for yourself and a couple bottles of water and soda for yourself...i use an insulated coffee mug to put my frozen shrimp in and lasts all day...this is all stuff i can put into a backpack along with disassembled rod n reel....I also lug a folding camping chair that i bought for 9 bucks at cdn tire as I suffer from back issues...I find it nice to have if im spending 5-6 hrs on the pond..and as always catch n release...youll find there are a handful of people who dont respect that and so the fishing starts to diminish around august

Hope this helps jovan...and dont be afraid to be socialable with other fishermen...ive never had a problem talking to fisherman at at the pond and learning new things...and you will find quite a few people in your age bracket ( 13-18) so enjoy your summer and i wont say hope..you will catch alot of fish..

#3 gavins2

gavins2

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:55 PM

ok thanks so much  so the do the fish start to bite for example early may aid may late may ? thanks again

#4 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

ok thanks so much so the do the fish start to bite for example early may aid may late may ? thanks again

You gotta get out and try these spots. Nothing wrong with asking questions but you won't catch fish sitting in front of a computer screen. The oft repeated do your leg work applies.

Alfie.

#5 gavins2

gavins2

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

ok i will i am going tomorrow and will give an update

#6 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

Grenadier Pond is great for bluegill. Even black crappie (but only in the spring)

#7 Matt Rickles

Matt Rickles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

Good luck!! Pan fish are great fun . Follow the tips given and you will surley succeed
Fish on