• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Freezer

Freezer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

Over the weekend, I fly fished for Pike for the first time. I have been fly fishing for ten years now and I primarily focus on trout and salmon, but one of my biggest goals has been to catch a pike on the fly. I was fishing around Honey Harbour and with the research I did, I found the right flies, line, etc. I probably fished for a total of two hours and I didn't have a single follow. I fished weed beds, shore lines, deep water, etc. I even ended up seeing a three to four footer in the weed beds, but he wasn't interested for the life of him. I tried all type of retrievals, fast stripping, slow stripping, retrieve and pause, shook the tip of my fly rod while stripping. I love the challenge of hunting for these monsters, but I really am just shooting for the stars here. I don't really fish pike in general and I just fished based off of what I read.

It was an overall amazing experience and I'm super eager to go out again, but someone who never fishes Pike nor fishes that area, can anyone offer me some help? You can even just PM if you want, I just want to catch one of these monsters before I'm back in the rivers in two weeks. I know it's a lot to ask for, but it doesn't even need to be Georgian Bay, I'm perfectly fine with going the extra mile and trying new waters! :mrgreen:

The fly I was throwing was this one: http://www.reelflies...ny-pike-fly.htm

I also fished some top water in the afternoon, a frog pattern, but no luck and I even saw a huge small mouth rise where I was fishing :mad: