4 replies to this topic

#1 Just Me and my fishin pole

Just Me and my fishin pole

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

Hi there 

I just got a new Baitcaster Combo it is rated for 10- 20 LB mono and i wanted to spool it up with 12 lb mono but i only had 8lb. So i spooled line up half way on the spool not knowing what this would do. the rod is also rated for 3/8 - 3/4 oz weight so i tied on a few weights and tried it. I also set the brakes to 5 which is half way.

I casted and it seemed to need more weight or it would go flying of to the left or the right. I put enough weight on so i could cast it strait. and i even had to turn down to tension nob to. There seems to be more than 3/8 oz to me but i have no way of telling i don't have a scale and i don't know how heavy these weights are.

Does the line diameter affect your casting distance it seems to not be casting far enough. And does how much line on your spool affect my casting distance to.

Thanks 

#2 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

In general smaller diameter line means longer cast. With baitcaster it is usually not about a distance but accuracy. I'd suggest field practice. Cast some lures in the water and get a potential benefit of  landing something :)

#3 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:21 PM

As you are just starting out, keep it simple and don’t go for those long casts . As you get more comfortable take magnets off and play with the tension knob. Don’t worry about the line right now. So many things will affect a cast, such as wind direction and weight of the bait you are using.

#4 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:24 PM

The reason for the spraying left and right is that the spool isnt spinning fast enough for the velocity of the weight..

I would suggest backing off the brakes and the tension until you start to backlash. you will be happier with the result if you learn to properly use the reel versus relying on the reel to do the work

#5 Just Me and my fishin pole

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:24 AM

Hey There 

I have been trying it out and with your tips i can now bomb a 3/8 oz lure out there with no backlash.

Thanks