• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kokemachine

Kokemachine

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:52 AM

I love fishing from my canoe.  This is how I rig it up specifically for fishing.

#2 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

nice video, lots of tips. Thank you

#3 Kokemachine

Kokemachine

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

Thanks, BRMZ.  In another forum it was pointed out that the safety equipment that I list as legally required is actually more than is legally required.  I think it never hurts to have more safety equipment than less.  Here are the legal requirements:

"Canoes•
Kayaks•
Rowboats•
Rowing Shells•
Other Human-Powered Boats

1.One (1) lifejacket or PFD foreach person on board
2.One (1) reboarding device (See Note 1)
3.One (1) buoyant heaving line at least 15 m (49’3”) long

If boat is over 6 m

4.One (1) watertight flashlight
5.Six (6) flares of Type A, B, C or D, only two (2) can be Type D.(See Note 2)
6.One (1) bailer OROne manual bilge pump (See Note 3) OR Bilge-pumping arrangements
7.One (1) sound-signalling device or appliance
8.Navigation lights(See Note 4)
9.One (1) magnetic compass(See Note 5)
10.One (1) radar reflector

Note 1: *If everyone on board is wearing a lifejacket or a PFD of appropriate size, you are only required to carry :
1) a sound-signalling device; and.
2) a watertight flashlight if the boat is used after sunset or before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility."

#4 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

I've never used those pontoon things but I can see how they could help but I really only use the canoe when it's portage trip and just more to carry. 

I personally always liked a canoe with the tri keel lines because I found them to be very stable compared to everything else not that I have ever really had a problem.

And don't forget if you run a trolling motor like I do so I don't have to paddle you are required to have your boaters card on you. 

#5 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

Yes boating licence absolutely required for any kayak or canoe equipped with trolling motor even if the motor is not used for propulsion. 

Beside all the safety equipment I would recommend practicing of flipping back capsized kayak or canoe and getting back on board. Should be done in controlled environment an on shallow water of course.

#6 Kokemachine

Kokemachine

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:40 AM

Very true.  Any kind of motorized boat needs a license.  As well as being extra weight I have found the outriggers are a bit of drawback on slender rivers.  I mostly use it for fishing in my back yard on Nipissing.

I've never used those pontoon things but I can see how they could help but I really only use the canoe when it's portage trip and just more to carry. 

I personally always liked a canoe with the tri keel lines because I found them to be very stable compared to everything else not that I have ever really had a problem.

And don't forget if you run a trolling motor like I do so I don't have to paddle you are required to have your boaters card on you. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canoe, fishing, outriggers