• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ibroxlad

Ibroxlad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:50 PM

Just curious to see how others will pass time until next spring when trout season opens up.

I'm going out next week to buy a vice and some material to start tying flies to pass the time. 

What about all of you?

#2 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:22 PM

trout season just started for me

#3 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:24 AM

Dude, where have you been? Literally just starting to run up here. November and December are the best times IMO.

#4 Ibroxlad

Ibroxlad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

Dude, where have you been? Literally just starting to run up here. November and December are the best times IMO.

I like fishing the source waters and upper reaches for brooks and browns. I don't go out for the steelheads or salmon. Maybe I will this year, if I can't stand the long winter wait ;)

#5 Rayk

Rayk

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:46 AM

You sound like me 5 years ago.....until I discovered Steelhead. Sept 30 is now the “new” beginning. Don’t be put off by the circus at the most popular/assessable locations, although there are some legit anglers and it could be an opportunity to watch and learn. There is quieter water if you do your homework.

#6 Ibroxlad

Ibroxlad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

You sound like me 5 years ago.....until I discovered Steelhead. Sept 30 is now the “new” beginning. Don’t be put off by the circus at the most popular/assessable locations, although there are some legit anglers and it could be an opportunity to watch and learn. There is quieter water if you do your homework.

Thanks Rayk,

I've thought about going out to fish for them, but I'll have to wait until I buy a more robust rod. I currently use a 5/6 weight fly rod and to fish for steelhead I'd want something in the 8 or 9 weight range.