see, you gotta hold the fish closer to the camera so it looks bigger

#22 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

see, you gotta hold the fish closer to the camera so it looks bigger

Oh poop, this angle doesn't do the 7" yearling laker justice at all! Thing faught like a 4lbr, or maybe that was just because Mike had it wrapped 10 times and it came up backwards..

#23 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

any tips on how to grab a larger 2+lb trout when it's been landed? When im by myself holding a big trout with one hand while using the forceps with the other, I feel I have to apply too much pressure on the fish with my hand to keep it from struggling/moving around too much (i grab it with my 1 hand by the back, trying not to touch the gills, this is awkward as hell though) 

edit: just recently started fishing trout

#24 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Use a tailing glove and grip the fish by the tail then remove the hook while the fish is still in the water or bring the fish to shore, reach down with your forceps and remove the hook .

#25 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Best thing to do is to hold the tail out of the water... remember that all the power comes from the back side and if its kicking its tail while your holding it in the water, it can break free of your grip...  takes a bit of getting used to but the more fish you will catch, the better you will become at dealing with it. 

#26 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

ive mostly experienced this ice fishing, i'll try grabbing it by the tail though, thanks guys!

#27 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Best thing to do is to hold the tail out of the water... remember that all the power comes from the back side and if its kicking its tail while your holding it in the water, it can break free of your grip...  takes a bit of getting used to but the more fish you will catch, the better you will become at dealing with it. 

x2.  :cool:

#28 fishingdude

fishingdude

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

12814410.jpg

#29 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

12814410.jpg

Nice!

#30 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

...i wonder why the fly guys on TV always handle the fish gently, but the guys with mercury written on thier shirts grab every single trout and sensitive species of fishby the gills---some of these guys life the fish up and its almost folding in half by the gills...millions of people watch these shows why doesnt anyone complain or mention they are a senstive fish not a duffle bag? does anyone find this strange?

BANG ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  .... what an awesome observation! I agree whole heartedly!!!!

#31 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

The topic of hero shots/poses always seems to create friction on the forum. For those that are interested, read Dr. Bruce Tufts study on the mortality rate of played out rainbow. It's an eye opener and should convince most of us to keep the fish in the water if you're serious about catch and release.Granted, we all like pictures for whatever reasons, but it's not always necessary is it? Personally, I don't feel the need need to document every second of life's moments for the internet, in fact, I dropped  off FB because I couldn't get photos of my kids back. I'm puzzled by the flack some forum members get for trying to simply educate others

#32 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

The topic of hero shots/poses always seems to create friction on the forum. For those that are interested, read Dr. Bruce Tufts study on the mortality rate of played out rainbow. It's an eye opener and should convince most of us to keep the fish in the water if you're serious about catch and release.Granted, we all like pictures for whatever reasons, but it's not always necessary is it? Personally, I don't feel the need need to document every second of life's moments for the internet, in fact, I dropped  off FB because I couldn't get photos of my kids back. I'm puzzled by the flack some forum members get for trying to simply educate others

fantastic!

#33 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Thanks brother

#34 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

On some of those bass shows i think that they should be sitting down in a chair with a seat belt. Guys if you're gonna take a pic make it ultra quick and put them back in. It isnt worth it taking a hero shot and have the fish dieing later just for a 'cool' pic.

#35 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

just keep it in the net submersed in water and get some great looking glassy shots of the water over its head and body. I got a great shot of a largie last week like this.

EDIT: http://fishincolour....ost/54073004146

Also plugging my fish related photography, just started the blog so not to much content yet. I didn't want to post photos from fall or winter in the summer so I am basically only putting up new photos atm.

#36 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

post the pic!!!

#37 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Check the edit. :)

#38 washineton

washineton

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

you should take some videos and share them to your friends including us ,something is better to share and to momerise agree?

#39 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Some of you are still not getting  it...

We don't need more heros...

1 gopro with "guide"
1 gopro on head of sport #1
1 camera phone with sport #1
1 camera phone with sport#2

1 fish out of water for 5mins+, thumb fawked and then just tossed downstream

awesome

#40 Cory

Cory

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts