• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

title says it all lol  im looking to pop my baitcasting cherry anyone have any recommended setups for a beginner?  looking for MH as it will be used mostly for bass and medium sized pike and budget is around 200 

#2 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I looked in to a lot of winches this year and asked a lot of people for advice. My conclusion:

If you're looking to alternate between M and MH and you're willing to maybe up your price to 250 you could go with a really nice shimano curado winch paired with a compre rod. I was super close to getting this combo...

Personally I settled for an Okuma Calera winch paired with an Okuma Reflexions M rod. The Calera feels great but I haven't had a chance to test out its drag yet. You won't be dissapointed with the casting though. The combo cost me 130 or something after taxes on sale, but I think you could get one for 15-160 regular price

#3 mikea07

mikea07

Sunfish

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. Popping my baitcasting cherry this year.

After doing a lot of reading and comparisons I settled on an Abu Garcia Veritas MH rod with a Revo S reel.

The rod ran me around $70 on sale and I picked up the Revo S during BP's spring classic for $129.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it looks and feels great.

#4 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Got myself a Curado paired with a st croix triumph for my birthday in march. The combo ran somewhere around the 250 mark maybe a bit more, cant really tell you how good it is as i'm also a caster virgin. Some advice I can give is buy cheap line for when you are learning. I went with the powerpro superslick and lost about 50 yds when I was practicing my cast in the backyard. At 27 bucks a spool thats almost a 10 dollar cast, I think ive got it figured out now and still have 100yds left so it's not the end of the world I guess but theres no guarantee I wont destroy another 50 yds....

#5 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

look at us- the blind leading the blind lol.

So far we have a Revo owner, a Curado owner, and a Calera owner...all rooks...Red you shud get something none of us have and that way at the end of the season we can all swap notes and write up a solid comparison for everyone lol.

#6 mikea07

mikea07

Sunfish

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Got myself a Curado paired with a st croix triumph for my birthday in march. The combo ran somewhere around the 250 mark maybe a bit more, cant really tell you how good it is as i'm also a caster virgin. Some advice I can give is buy cheap line for when you are learning. I went with the powerpro superslick and lost about 50 yds when I was practicing my cast in the backyard. At 27 bucks a spool thats almost a 10 dollar cast, I think ive got it figured out now and still have 100yds left so it's not the end of the world I guess but theres no guarantee I wont destroy another 50 yds....

darn... I spooled mine with powerpro superslick too. haha.

I'm afraid to go into the backyard to practice casting for that reason exactly. I already got a little birds nest going just by testing out the brake with different lure weights inside. haha.

#7 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

darn... I spooled mine with powerpro superslick too. haha.

I'm afraid to go into the backyard to practice casting for that reason exactly. I already got a little birds nest going just by testing out the brake with different lure weights inside. haha.

Take short casts to start with, and adjust the spool tension so that the lure drops down at a smooth and steady - but controlled - pace when you lift up your thumb. You'll be fine just be a little conservative and take the time to get to know your reel before you start going all josh hamilton on the cast lol.

#8 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. Popping my baitcasting cherry this year.

After doing a lot of reading and comparisons I settled on an Abu Garcia Veritas MH rod with a Revo S reel.

The rod ran me around $70 on sale and I picked up the Revo S during BP's spring classic for $129.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it looks and feels great.

i really wanted this rod but was on a tight budget so i chose a sellus mh great rod for big freshwater fish and general saltwater use 

#9 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'm thinkin about getting a baitcaster too, there are definitely a couple nice shimano and okuma, quantum has a coupe nice ones as well.

#10 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Option 1

Abu Garcia REVO S Generation 3 Casting Reel - $129.99

Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth Casting Rod 6'10" Med Hvy- $129.99

Option 2

Abu Garcia REVO S Generation 3 Casting Reel - $129.99

Abu Garcia 7' Mh veritas casting rod- around $70 at sail

Option 3

Lews speed spool - $99

Rod either veritas or elite tech

______

The elite tech is the better rod hands down and a great rod for that price range. The lews reel is also very good for the price, if you look on ebay you can snag them cheap too new in box.

#11 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

When I first got down to Florida I was dying for a bait caster, against all of my cousins and uncles who have been fishing for years I bought one. Got into a couple fish, but thats when it happend. The looming birds nest. OMG what a friggen mess, after clearing out the mess it was like the reel was cursed. EverytimeI took it out, ended my day early with more nests.

The issue I had was I was watching too much fishing network and seing these guys throw bait accuratly and FAR! I thought I could do the same. I would start with short very controled casts. Your back yard won't work as well as in water as the line and bait behave different when entering and exiting water.

Take your time and feel the reel out, cheap line, cheap lures to start chances are your going to loose more than a few....

#12 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

as AA mentioned been seeing and hearing about these lews reels, maybe check one of them out

#13 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

hey rnc check out beyond the cast by jp derose on the wfn, they test out lots of different gear and one of the episodes is about bait caster reels

#14 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

thanks guys for all the responses!! it turns out i have no input in the rod im getting simply because its a deal that one cant pass up lol (thanks cjr!!)  Its the Abu garcia vendetta two piece 6'6 MHXF.  now i just need to match it up with a winch.  and fishchris i love that show haha its mostly bass gear which kinda sucks but its still an awesome show, would be nice if they tested more stuff like float rods and downriggers.  

#15 iFish

iFish

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

I think you guys might be able to help me.

I just picked up a new rod and reel (first baitcaster like some of you). I really liked what I read and heard abou the Revo STX. So I went ahead and bought it. The problems lies with the rod. I paired it with a St Croix Mojo Bass MH 7'6". The problem I'm having is with the height. Like some here I do a lot of bass fishing and pike. Usually looking for thick heavy cover. I like to try a few different techniques when fishing. I want to be able to flip, pitch, run a top water , crank bait or spoon. I guess I'm looking for a pretty versatile rod with an appropriate height to do it all. Is there such thing? Would a 6'6" or 7'0" be better suited?

Hope this question makes sense and you wiser fisherman can shed some light on the area.

Thanks!

#16 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

i know all the pros use baitcasting equipment, but don't give up on your spinning equipment.  i've been spinning and baitcasting for thirty five years and to be honest, i can cast as accurately feathering the spinning spool with my index finger as i can feathering the baitcast spool with my thumb.

when i go out now, it's more of a "which am i in the mood for" question.  

baitcasting is a lot of fun, but don't be like me in the early days and think that it's somehow superior.

it's just different.

go with what feels good.

on another level, i think you ALL equipped yourself with some nice equipment.

expensive doesn't make you a better angler. attitude, knowledge and skill does.

#17 mikea07

mikea07

Sunfish

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

I've been out on the water a few times already this season but I haven't taken out my baitcaster. Going to wait until I go up North in a few weeks to do that.

Now that the weather is nicer (except for today) I need to get out in the backyard and practice.

#18 mikea07

mikea07

Sunfish

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

I finally took my baitcaster out on the water last weekend.

I found that with heavier spoons, I was able to chuck them out fairly well.When I switched up to lighter lures I was having some issues with casting (yes, I made the proper adjustments on the reel). I was dealing with a bit of backlash and had to pick out quite a few birdsnests.

It's definitely going to take some time to get used to.

#19 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

IMO

For the baitcaster beginners I would use 50 lb braid the thicker the braid the easier for picking out birdsnests.

Also the heavier braid will help to train your thumb as to when to feather the spool.

Start with your backcast a smooth backcast is the real key. You cannot backcast the same as a spinning reel.

Make sure you feather the spool lightly during the cast and stop it once it hits the water.

Learned from experience. Do not go cheap on the reel specially a baitcasting reel.

A lower end reel will drive you bonkers as they tend not to as smooth as a higher end reel

I would recommend trying the Shimano Citica as a starting point the Revo's are also quite nice.

The best casting reel I used was the Daiwa Pixy Type R. By far the best casting reel that I have ever owned.

#20 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

IMO A bird's nest with braid is TERRIBLE!  I have gotten out of messy bird's nests with mono but with braid.....forget it.  It cuts in to the spooled line too deep and tangles too easy with the rest of the line.  Everyone has their experiences.  This is just mine.  I have dropped braid all together.  It has its uses but when things get bad, it's BAD.