27 replies to this topic

#21 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

You can always snap two sides of the barbless treble should still work

I hadn't even thought of that... great idea...

#22 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

well, here's my take. thanks everyone for their input.  I get less success ratios with surface lures using single hooks, but with spinners, crankbaits, rapalas and buzzbaits , it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. i haven't been using spoons as of late, so the jury is still out on that one...

#23 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

null_zps5c4f36d6.jpg

JCVD himself would encourage the use of singles... Maybe not barbless tho.

And he is heavily involved in the bloodsport.

#24 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm also in the process of replacing trebles with singles on crankbaits such as Big 'O's and Hot n' Tot. I'm just replacing the rear hooks because I think removing a treble under the belly of the 'bait' will change the action. These lures have slit rings so I don't need to use Siwash hooks. What type and general size of hook would you recommend?

thx

#25 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

null_zps5c4f36d6.jpg

JCVD himself would encourage the use of singles... Maybe not barbless tho.

And he is heavily involved in the bloodsport.

ha! jvcd 2008 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130988/  one of my favourite off beat movies...

#26 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm also in the process of replacing trebles with singles on crankbaits such as Big 'O's and Hot n' Tot. I'm just replacing the rear hooks because I think removing a treble under the belly of the 'bait' will change the action. These lures have slit rings so I don't need to use Siwash hooks. What type and general size of hook would you recommend?

thx

i'm still a little early into this, but bass season is almost upon us, so i promise to get back to you on this...  (was piking yesterday at mountsberg, and pulled in a five out of season pound largemouth. i usually get pound to pound and a halfers at mountsberg. that was from a jitterbug with a couple carlisle hooks attached with two slit o rings each, to compensate for the hook offset) 

i am finding i am going a little larger when i pop in the single, and with a carlisle or other long shanked hook, but it's more from a gut feeling than anything quasiscientific yet.

#27 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

I don't think I'd put a single on when going for pike, bass, salmon or walleye etc...

But the one situation I have thought would be beneficial is when targeting small resident trout.

Trout are temperamental when out of the water too long, also, when riverfishing, the current/retrieve sets the hook anyway.

I will definitely keep the trebles on my trolling baits, as well as my topwater bass lures.

Hook-up percentages are already slim on topwater smallies, no way I'm going to voluntarily give anymore advantage to those shaky rascals.

#28 chalkhorse

chalkhorse

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

there is debate over "landing

I don't think I'd put a single on when going for pike, bass, salmon or walleye etc...

But the one situation I have thought would be beneficial is when targeting small resident trout.

Trout are temperamental when out of the water too long, also, when riverfishing, the current/retrieve sets the hook anyway.

I will definitely keep the trebles on my trolling baits, as well as my topwater bass lures.

Hook-up percentages are already slim on topwater smallies, no way I'm going to voluntarily give anymore advantage to those shaky rascals.

there is debate over landing ratios with single hooks.  although the hookup percentage is supposed to be lower (i haven't seen that yet in my little experiment,) the landing ratios are supposed to be higher with a single secure point of hookup (which i haven't noticed yet, either, due to my small sampling so far (maybe thirty fish))